Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 PM   #571
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
My friend has many years in the moto-cross world, and he builds up his stock forks on all the bikes he owns.

I've never had any thing to do with them, but he said it's easy, so he will give me a hand to dial mine in this winter.

From Don.
That sounds like a good plan.

My forks have Progressive springs in them along with Racetech Cartridge Emulators and a fork brace and I am happy with them.

My rear shock is a stock unit but it has a custom 2 stage valve stack, so it is softer on the little bumps and firms up on the bigger stuff, along with an Eibach 550 inch pound spring and a Fox remote reservoir with compression adjustment.

The 2008 & up shock has a traditional valve stack that can be customized.

The 2007 & older shocks really need a Racetech Gold Valve added to customize the valve stack.

Or you can just buy a Racetech shock or Cogent or Ricor or have Penske build you a top shelf unit.

I really like Penske, I had them do shocks for my Gsa, and they will build a shock for anything and they are in Pennsylvania and even include a parts/owners manual with the shock and you can order parts directly from them as they tout their shocks as owner rebuildable so they are very accomodating if you have tech questions instead of trying to shroud everything in mystery.But that is only important if you plan on doing your own rebuilds.

But Penske shocks are as good as it gets. I think their basic 8900 series shock goes for about $650.00 and sometimes they have specials.

You have to supply them the dimensions or you could just send them your stock shock and they will use it for the dimensions.

They use Hyperco springs.

Their powersports shock division is called Custom Axis.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/

GAS GUY screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 09:30 PM
GAS GUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #572
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Bang for the Buck !!!

It's a yes on my KLR factory suspention since I have a custom DRZ mod for full off roading.

My KLR won't fill the shoes of my other because it's heavy an all, so I've been buying candy to freckle it up for my longer North America travels coming up.

The 2011 K was $4500, and all the candy worked out to $1500 by the time I'm done. Then the big bore kit will cost about $1000 +, so I'll have a pretty nice $7000 unit for long and short trips.

The factory suspention will work for my easy riding style, and when things look tough, I'll use my other bike.

The K is sure nice to work on, and the world is full of candy for them !!!

From Don. PS: Our Alberta Dual Sport group has 16 of them, and the number keeps climbing everyday.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #573
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Way to Cool !!!

All the goodies for my KLR will be in this week, so the building project will be under way.

- Heavy duty panner side racks for hard or soft bags.
- 1" Lower foot pegs.
- 2" handle bar riser.
- GPS and Spot mounts.
- High mount U-Shape Fork brace.
- Large skid plate.
- Motor Crash bars.
- Throttle Lock.
- Heidnue K-60 tires.
- To 4 1/2" drive lights.

Then the big bore kit and FCR carb will be on order next week.

From Western Canada Don.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #574
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
All the goodies for my KLR will be in this week, so the building project will be under way.

- Heavy duty panner side racks for hard or soft bags.
- 1" Lower foot pegs.
- 2" handle bar riser.
- GPS and Spot mounts.
- High mount U-Shape Fork brace.
- Large skid plate.
- Motor Crash bars.
- Throttle Lock.
- Heidnue K-60 tires.
- To 4 1/2" drive lights.

Then the big bore kit and FCR carb will be on order next week.

From Western Canada Don.
Is that 2 x 4 1/2" Driving lights ?
If so , what wattage are they ?
I hope they are LED or HID or you may be discharging your battery.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #575
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Super Lights !!!

The 4"X4" lights are 1.75 amps each, and there is 6 HID bulbs in them, and they make the 2"X2" unit look weak.The first time I seen them was on a Baha 50 race in Mexico.

The bigger lights are for off road motorcycle racing only, and they open up the world for us night time riders, and the ditches of furry critters.

The right side light stays on all the time, and I have a switch on the left unit for passing auto's. One of those lights is twice as bright asthe factoy head lamp with the new design of them.

I'll let you know who makes them this week. They are about $250 each $Cnd funds, and the brackets are about $32 each.

From Western Canada Don.
PS: 30 years in-field night projects is like working in the day when you have the right lights !!!

Jeathrow Bowdean screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 09:42 AM
Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #576
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
The 4"X4" lights are 1.75 amps each, and there is 6 HID bulbs in them, and they make the 2"X2" unit look weak.The first time I seen them was on a Baha 50 race in Mexico.

The bigger lights are for off road motorcycle racing only, and they open up the world for us night time riders, and the ditches of furry critters.

The right side light stays on all the time, and I have a switch on the left unit for passing auto's. One of those lights is twice as bright asthe factoy head lamp with the new design of them.

I'll let you know who makes them this week. They are about $250 each $Cnd funds, and the brackets are about $32 each.

From Western Canada Don.
PS: 30 years in-field night projects is like working in the day when you have the right lights !!!
You may also want to consider changing your stock low beam to a 35 watt HID.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #577
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Canadian KLR Project !!!

$1300 bucks of candy for the bike showed up today, then the big bore 705cc kit will be on order next weekend form Eagale Mike.

I have a tech to do the work up here, then the uint goes in for the diet program this winter being that I sit on the other side of a fab shop.
It would not be worth doing this for the average person, so lucky I am.

A one of a kind light weight big-bore KLR is under way in the next few months, and I'll get my friend to up load the pictures as it gets under way.

Special thanks to "ADS," Alberta Dual Sport, Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Club, and my Employer. With out all the above, this project would not be possible.

From Western Canada Don.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #578
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 805
Light weight huh?
I'll be interested to see how much weight you can lose.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #579
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Footpeg Project

One of this years winter projects is a set of custom footpegs.I started working on them the other day.
The goal is 2 things.

1-Adapt a set of wide Fastway F-3 pegs I have from an old Bmw to fit the KLR footpeg boxes.

2-Lower the box and peg location an inch and move them back an inch to facilitate a better standing position.

I picked up a extra set of footpeg brackets off of Ebay to work with so I don't have to disable my bike.

So far I have had to do some file work on the footpegs so they would fit in the boxes along with some clearance grinding on the pegs so they can pivot up when they hit something.The springs work well and don't need modified.

Then I am going to cut the boxes off the brackets and move them to the desired position.I will have to weld on some plate steel to the bracket for the boxes to go on the new position.

This way the pegs will still stay up above the frame.Some people sell adapter plates to do this but they hang below the frame.

Also, some people move them further back than an inch but I don't want to go too far so will try an inch or maybe a little bit more than an inch and see how that works out.

GAS GUY screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 06:08 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #580
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Upgrading your foot pegs is, IMO, a worthwhile thing to do. One of my pet peeves on many dual sport bikes is the poor standing position. I'd like to do a similar thing with my DR650: wider platform and moved lower and back a bit. Even in normal seated riding, DR pegs are TOO FAR forward for me.

i'd bet moving an inch back is more than enough to achieve a better feel/control/comfort when standing. Love the Fastways pegs. Nice pieces!

Only caveat are the welds themselves ... but I'm sure it's not lost on you:
They've got to really be good welds.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #581
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Ditto stock pegs suck and though ive got decent ims pegs, the location is wrong. Id never use the lowering brackets that stick down so ill be watching your efforts with interest. Cant believe nobody makes a better bracket...

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #582
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

I worked on the left peg bracket some more today.
After cutting the welds and removing the footpeg box and some clean up grinding the left side is ready for an added piece of plate steel.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #583
DPelletier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
looking good so far. I will go the same route and purchase another set of brackets to play with. Keeping them perfectly level and straight will be paramount.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #584
GAS GUY OP
MILE EATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier View Post
looking good so far. I will go the same route and purchase another set of brackets to play with. Keeping them perfectly level and straight will be paramount.

Dave
Yes.Draw a diagram and take lots of measurements and write it all down before you remove the box from the bracket.

Also measure the box angle in degrees and record it.

Make sure you reference the measurements off something you can replicate exactly later.
For example,I set the flat bottom part of the bracket where the 2 holes are for the bolts,flat on a level surface and then measure the box angle which is 27 degrees.

And of course make note of the box location so you can lower it and move it rearward to your desired new location.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #585
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,510
Does anyone make wide aluminum foot pegs for the DR650?

I've seen some really wide, nice looking aluminum ones for pure dirt bikes, and have wondered that if a set fit a Suzuki RM250, or some Suzuki off road bike, if it would also fit the DR650?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote