Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #31
ChuBrocka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm attempting bluecrab's mod. I bought a Mode Electronics jack (part 24-391-1):
My problem is that I have no idea how to wire the jack and I can't find any diagrams online. Anyone familiar with these?
ChuBrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #32
imarsh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
That plugup.com is absolutely brilliant! Cheers.
imarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #33
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuBrocka View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm attempting bluecrab's mod. I bought a Mode Electronics jack (part 24-391-1):
My problem is that I have no idea how to wire the jack and I can't find any diagrams online. Anyone familiar with these?
Here I'll google it for you .

http://www.mode-elec.com/pdf/audio/24-391.pdf

You'd have to probably get an ohm meter and take a plug and cut and strip the wires, then do some plugging in and measuring.

This switch has 2 sets of contacts, as described in the following pdf as having "2 normally closed switches", kinda like a double throw switch in a way. It looks like the Sena output would go to pins 2 and 5, and normally 2 & 5 are connected to pins 3 & 4 (helmet speakers?). Then when you plug in your earbuds it connects pins 2 & 5 to the earbud wires. You have to figure out polarity which is which.

http://www.mode-elec.com/Products/au...2814-18%29.pdf

Are you trying to hook up something that normally connects to speakers in the helmet but when you plug in the earbud male end it then connects only to the earbuds???

If not then maybe the part 24-392-1 looks much simpler. No normally closed connections, more like a single throw switch concept.

http://www.mode-elec.com/pdf/audio/24-392.pdf

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #34
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I also modified the factory earbud clamp to use the audio input jack for the "full stereo" mode. I can still use the original output jack for the "no noise mono" mode. After riding for couple of weeks, I prefer good stereo even with the background buzz. The buzz is masked by the engine sound even on idle, but audio quality is considerably better. That mode is simple, just cut 3 traces and solder 2 jumpers.]
Wait. So the Sena mount for earbuds is mono?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #35
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh View Post
Wait. So the Sena mount for earbuds is mono?
Not exactly. Genka was referring to the earlier part of the thread that explains how the stereo separation between the channels is really poor. So it's almost the same as mono.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #36
SnowAviation
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
I did this mod the other day using the method outlined by TXjames, it works great, great stereo, no buzz and a jack that will long outlive that crappy afterthough extendo jack.

Thanks to all who posted data on this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXjames View Post
Excellent post genka!
My buddy approached it a bit differently by replacing the output and relocating it to the bottom of the baseplate. He did an excellent repair but I was stuck on the same idea that genka had.

I simply reused the broken wires

and jumpered the normal output to the appropriate sides on the fixed audio jack. However, I did replace the ground with a shielded wire.

Note that the right channel is not visible because it's under the ground wire. And I didn't have to add the 75 Ω resistors because they were already there.

Fortunately, I found this thread before attacking. Already knowing which traces to cut (to keep from shorting the aux in with the earbud out) saved me some time.

My observations of repurposing the aux in as the earbud output:
1. It's difficult to locate the new output in everyday use; with the baseplate mounted to the side of your head and motorcycle gloves on.
2. The microphone wire needs to be routed with attention so that it does not get in the way while plugging in the headphones.