User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #76
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
2013-Tassie-XT-Tour

I originally planned to do this trip solo, taking in the roughest and gnarliest roads the Tenere and I could handle, camping along the way... Once BIL was on board it had to be toned down significantly, he had only done about 600km total on a bike, and only about 50km of that was on gravel... It was still going to be a great trip, with a few gnarly roads, but I had to be careful not to break him
(my sister would kill me if he came home smashed up)

The plan was to stay at hotels and motels, between the 2 of us it was affordable, I'm a lazy bastard and would rather not carry camping and cooking gear if there's an easier option...

Accommodation was booked:
D1: Welborough
D2: Deloraine
D3: Warratah
D4: Arthur River
D5&6: Queentown

The route we ended up doing was:

7 days
1915km
Elevation change: + 40km / - 40km
40 hours moving time
Average speed while moving 48kmh

Every day the planned route had to be cut down, parts were skipped for one reason or another, road closures, fuel, lack of time, and a minor accident... Most days were cut short and we ended up hightailing it on sealed roads to where the accommodation was booked...

All in all it was an awesome trip... I think BIL is hooked, he did great considering his lack of prior riding experience...

A couple of preview pics:

I'll try and get this written up over the next couple of weeks... There's 30 hours of video and thousands of photos to sift though

To be Continued with Day-1 ... .. .
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #77
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Can't wait!

Looking forward to this, I'm sure it will bring back some great memories...

ps I think I recognise this spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #78
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Another trip ! great !
Tasmania should be renamed to Greenland, what a beautiful place, love the green and forest.

Keep an eye on BIL's XT660 rear subframe, they break when too much load is placed too far back, like on BILs bike. A few years ago me & my buddies had four XT660s and three of them broke, one of them was brand new and only needed a few miles off road with a 10 kg bag to break.
It was an easy fix, cut the broken subframe & insert a 10 cm steel tube inside the subframe's tube, then weld it.

Stgo-Ushuaia 143 por tierras2004, en Flickr

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #79
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull600 View Post
ps I think I recognise this spot
Cheers
I didn't realize you went through there, but checking your report, you did! lol ... Day-14, Great road hey That road was the highlight of the trip for me...

A preview:

I need to re-read your ride report, it was the ultimate tour of Tassie!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759832

Just realized why your RR didn't come up when I searched for info on that road, you spelt it wrong
(not a bad thing... I'm cautious about naming it, if too many trips come up with a google search the authorities might barricade it better)

Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #80
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
Another trip ! great !
Tasmania should be renamed to Greenland, what a beautiful place, love the green and forest.

Keep an eye on BIL's XT660 rear subframe, they break when too much load is placed too far back, like on BILs bike. A few years ago me & my buddies had four XT660s and three of them broke, one of them was brand new and only needed a few miles off road with a 10 kg bag to break.
It was an easy fix, cut the broken subframe & insert a 10 cm steel tube inside the subframe's tube, then weld it.
Thanks Goti, BIL had 12kg on the back, I'll have to check the subframe and maybe look at some strengthening... He'll probably put a hard case on there soon so it may end up with a bit more weight up there...

Thanks for your comments :)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #81
bull600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
I didn't realize you went through there, but checking your report, you did! lol ... Day-14, Great road hey That road was the highlight of the trip for me...

A preview:

Good idea to ride BIL's bike through that little bit, it is a little daunting. I remember thinking that it looked narrower due to the great drop off down the LHS!

I need to re-read your ride report, it was the ultimate tour of Tassie!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759832

I see a few of the pics aren't loading.. bloody imageshack!

Just realized why your RR didn't come up when I searched for info on that road, you spelt it wrong

Lucky I'm a teacher! I knew there was two of one of those letters

(not a bad thing... I'm cautious about naming it, if too many trips come up with a google search the authorities might barricade it better)

You're probably right about that. Those who seek shall find

Looking forward to the rest

Cheers
bull600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #82
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D1

We headed off about 7:30am, the forecast was for isolated showers and possible thunderstorms and heavy rain late morning

We weren't keen on getting caught in storms so it was a fairly quick trip up to Fingal... There's a few waterfalls and other interesting things along this route, but they can be easily reach on day trips, so it was no drama skipping them... (Meetus Falls, Hardings Falls, Lost Falls, Longmarsh Dam)

Day 1 Route:

Headed off in light rain, out through Brighton, Teatree, Campania, a pic just out of Campania:

Turned off the tar at around 30km on the route to make our way through Gravelly Ridge Conservation Area, then through Tunnack, Lemont, Stonehouse:

Then up to Tooms Lake and the start of the M-Road (McKays Rd) (125km on the route)

The M-Road is a gravel logging haul road that runs for about 100km up through the eastern forests, about 15km inland from the coast... A nice wide fast road

It wasn't long before it got foggy:

and foggier... to the point we could hardly see 20m ahead;

It cleared up once we got north of Old Coach Rd...

Just north of the Hardings Falls turn off there's a bridge out on the Swan River: (194km on the route)

We stopped here for a bit of a break and to take some pics:

The bridge was originally a bunch of big steel pipes covered in rock and gravel...

Amazing the power of water to be able to throw these pipes around, crush, and wrap them around trees!

An interesting rock:

The area where you ride across:

A 2 min video, me across the river first, then BIL:

No dramas

Day 1 to be continued... .. .
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #83
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D1 continued.. .. .

We continued heading north around the western side of Douglas-Apsley National Park, this areas been on fire for the last couple of months:

20sec video along here, BIL looking like a competent adventure rider:

Heading down into Fingal... Damn stupid sheep! ... This lot ran for about a mile to the end of the road and out onto the hwy while we sat there watching and waiting for them to stop:

Then into Fingal for fuel, (235km on the route)... only to find the servo's closed on Sundays ...

Last year I put together a list of 24hour servos because the Dominator had a fairly poor range, from memory there was a 24hr unmanned place in Fingal, so we rode around for a while till we found it... Turns out you need a Caltas card, it doesn't accept credit cards:

This was a pain, I had planned to do a nice loop out through the Tower Hill, Evercreech, and Mt Nicholas forests out around Mathinna, but BILs bike only holds 15L, 300km is the safe max range... We had done about 230km since filling up, so the only option was to run 20km to St Marys and get fuel there, then double back and head up through Mt Nicholas...

20km later at St Marys we find there's no fuel there on a Sunday either .. Oh well, I wasn't keen on doing anymore tar miles to get fuel so I plotted a new route through the forests up over the Sisters, Upper Scamander, Skyline Rd, and down to St Helens, I was 100% sure we could get fuel there... It would be pushing Bil's fuel range, but I figured if he run out I could go get a can of fuel and return for him (I was going to carry a thin tube for a siphon so we could steal fuel from my bike if needed, but forgot to pack it)

Most the roads up through here are pretty good:

Scamander River:

At about 287km on the route we turned off Eastern Creek Rd to take an alternate route up to the end of Skyline Rd, I've been up here a couple of times before but not via this route, it was something different... (I love new roads)

It started out as a nice dirt road through a pine forest:

But it had a couple of short steep rocky hills:

No real problem, but this was a lot rougher and steeper than BIL has experienced before, and probably beyond his capabilities:

I got to the top and started to park the bike, I didn't expect BIL to make it up, figured I'd have to go help.... But to my surprise he made it!

3 min video up to the southern end of Skyline Rd: (288-289km on the route)

(This bit can be bypassed by following Eastern Creek Rd up to Skyline, where I turned off at 287km)

D-1 to be continued... .. .

FLICKIT screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 01:14 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #84
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D1 continued... .. .

We then cruised along Skyline Rd towards St Helens... There's usually amazing views up and down the coast from up here, but with the low cloud it was a bit crappy:

Me:

BIL:

Made our way down to St Helens via Loila Tier Rd and Basin Creek Rd... Filled up with fuel, BIL's bike took 14.3L , so it was fairly close to running out, under a liter spare...

Made our way north out of St Helens then out along Argonaut Rd towards Pyengana, more nice roads:

The haul road continued on towards the Fingal forests and we turned off towards Pyengana, the road got narrower and the forests thicker:

Then it opened up into farm land:

Passed the "Pub in the Paddock"

and detoured out around St Columba Falls...

More bloody sheep!

Then down onto the Tasman Hwy for a nice twisty bit of tar:

To the final destination for the day:

The Welborough Hotel...
It cost $80 for a tiny twin room with 2 single beds and a bathroom down the hall, it was adequate...

We had a hamburger and chips for dinner, a decent sized meal, cost about $16 I think...

Day 1 ended up being 373km...

To be continued with Day-2... .. .
Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #85
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
We then cruised along Skyline Rd towards St Helens... There's usually amazing views up and down the coast from up here, but with the low cloud it was a bit crappy:

Me:
Dianas Basin in the back ground? if so there is good camp sites there

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #86
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Dianas Basin in the back ground? if so there is good camp sites there
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for later

Have you fulfilled your dream of owning a Tenere yet? ....
Old 03-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #87
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for later

Have you fulfilled your dream of owning a Tenere yet? ....
hmm i have owned a Tenere before......but as i am still paying for the WRr so thats a No

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #88
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

This RR is on hold for a bit, I've been busy trying to get some work knocked over so I can nick off for another trip before winter sets in...

Heading off today to explore NW-Tassie for a few days solo...

Here's a link to my Spot Tracker if anyone wants to follow along:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...a510f8909cb54f

Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #89
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Hey mate,

I love this thread - I keep coming back to it as I'm planning out my Tassie adventure (coming down in Jan next year)

Always keen to see more stuff from your travels
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #90
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livo View Post
Hey mate,

I love this thread - I keep coming back to it as I'm planning out my Tassie adventure (coming down in Jan next year)

Always keen to see more stuff from your travels
Thanks Livo

Sorry I never got around to continuing this, it went on hold while I did a 2000km NW Tassie trip, then I was too far behind and just didn't find time to catch up with it..

I'll make an effort to continue it soon LOTS to add (about 8000km worth)

Also, RideWithGps did an update recently and it set all my tracks to "Private", so they cant be viewed, and the KML & GPX files cant be downloaded, I'll fix that in the near future...