ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #106
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
wow you could do a lap of Tas with that
Not quite, it uses almost as much juice as they Tenere, 25km/l the standard 7L tank was only good for 150km or so, probably enough for most places, but I hate worrying about running out, I don't like walking...

I'll probably only part fill the tank.... 1/2 the reason for it is so I have something to grip with my legs, the standard XL is like riding a mountain bike, using your arms to brace yourself, trying not to slide up on the tank.. (my knees are screwed so I'm sitting most of the time)

Quote:
as for the mud it depends mostly of the track.....type of soil etc

Cold stream track will be wet even in summer as will the back of black bluff/Devonport mine
lol, those 2 are on the list, I'm not too worried about mud, more the creek levels in places like Climies and the like, places where there could be reasonable flows that will make them not do-able... and places where the water runs down the track, Pelion mine, and such.. I guess they'll probably be ok as long as there hasn't been heavy rain for a week or 2...

Hoping to get this trip knocked over before the weather gets too warm...
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #107
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,127
yes i am not a fan of unintended walks..... the creek and river crossings would be better for sure but the button grass and rain forest sections will always be muddy

Pelion mine cannot be far from Pelion hut........love to see you get your way out of a "discussion" with the ranger

all tho i see on google earth your still way down the valley.....should be good

i am trying to find a gearbox for my jeep before i take the Dt out and about
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #108
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Pelion mine cannot be far from Pelion hut........love to see you get your way out of a "discussion" with the ranger
It's still in the PWS "Cruisin' without Bruisin" 4x4 guide
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6467
"Patons Road is partly in the Tasmanian Wilderness
World Heritage Area and runs from Lemonthyme Power
Station along the Forth River valley to an old Wolfram
Mine around 20 kms upstream. Forest and river views
are excellent. The road is used by walkers, fishers,
picnickers and those wishing to canoe or raft the Forth
River. The road is closed at Oakleigh Creek, 1 km from
the former mine site. It is subject to flooding and
blockage by fallen trees."


Not sure how far I'll get, time will tell

Do you know anything about the track that runs down the western side of Lake Rowallan? (West Rowallan Track), and there appears to be a track that goes west from down there up into the Mags Mountain state forest/forest reserve, looks steep, but would make a nice loop...
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #109
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D4

The general plan for today was to head north through Hellyer Gorge then head west through on the northern side of Arthur River through to the town of Arthur River on the coast...

The route:


The hotel let us put our bikes in their garage for the night, which was great until we wanted to get them in the morning for an early start , we didn't know how to get them out and there was no one around, so we wandered around and took some photos...

The waterfall across the road from the Bischoff Hotel in the middle of Waratah:




We eventually got our bikes, topped up with fuel, and headed north through Hellyer Gorge, a good sealed road that twists through nice wet forests:


The day/picnic area:


3min vid of Hellyer Gorge, cool road, but nothing exciting, not a fan of sealed roads:


North of Hellyer Gorge we took the first opportunity to get back into dirt roads, turned off into Stevens Rd and started heading west through the forests (38km)... Some nice tracks:


We made our way through to Takone Rd (48km), which was a nice fast gravel Rd:


Then onto Farquhars Rd where a crew harvesting pine trees, I like seeing the machinery so I'll chuck in a few screenshots

The log moving go-anywhere cart:


The tree feller, impressive such a little beast can drop such large trees:


The limber/de-barker/trimmer:




I generally steer well clear of logging operations but we sorta just stumbled into it, there was no signs saying to keep out, so we continued on... At times like this I get the attention of the first person I see and give them a wave, make sure they see me, I assume they'll get on the radio and warn the other guys that there's bikes coming through.... When going past the tree feller and such, I stop well back, wait till they drop a tree, then zip past...

From here we followed Farquhars Rd down to Farquhars Bridge across the Arthur River (63km), it was a nice twisty good gravel track that wound it's way down to the river... We had no intentions of going through here but I have ambitions of exploring the southern side of Arthur river eventually, so I wanted to scout out the possible access points... Turns out the bridge has been washed away and replaced by a mining company that has an exploration lease in there:




The old bridge:


From here we headed back up the hill and continued west on Relapse Creek Rd - CHampion Rd, this started as a good gravel road but turned to dirt with a few mud holes and ended at a camp ground on the banks of the Arthur River (75km)... Quite a nice area to camp but it looks well used:






I had a route mapped from here through to Bird Rd-Kieth River Rd, via Champion Rd, but the only tracks I could find were a bit rough for BIL, so we ended up backtracking to Pruana Rd (87km) - Pioneer Link Rd -Newhaven Track - Rabaiga track - Dip Rd - Summer Access Rd, through to where the Savage River mine pipeline crosses through (126km):

They were all good roads/tracks through here ranging from fairly fast gravel to slightly grotty dirt, no dramas:














They have the Pipeline track fairly well secured (126km)


To be continued... .. .

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 10:29 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #110
Josh_182
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 26
Good rr

Nice report!! Giving me plenty of tips now that I have finally got an adv bike, 2003 ktm 640 adventure, keep it up, looking forward to reading some more.
Josh_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #111
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D4 - Continued... .. .

We continued west on good gravel roads, Wedge Plains Rd - Folly Rd, to Tayatea bridge, (142km):


This bridge was washed away a few years ago and replaced fairly recently:


If you're ambitious there's an old river crossing on the downstream side of the bridge:


Lots of interesting rocks along the river:


Pyrite crystals:




From here we headed north on Tayatea-Folly-Wedge Plains-Lovettes Rds to Lileah (158km), then Hursts-McPhersons Rds through some farming land and an interesting little forest (where I'm sure you'd hear banjos playing if you stopped and listened), then through to Edith Creek (167km)








Then on towards Marrawah via Poilinna Rd through the forests, nice wide road but it was very powdery in places:


Then to Marrawah (208km) via the Bass Hwy, I had planned some other tracks around here but it was blowing a gale, way too windy to be riding, especially for a learner, so we refueled and grabbed some food then headed out to West Point for a couple of quick pics (217km): (western extremity of Tassie)


Next thing west is Argentina


From here it was only a few KM down the coast to Arthur River.. There's not too many options for Accommodation around here so I booked a $120 holiday home for the night:

Arthur River Sunset Villas: http://sunsetholidayvillas.com
Bookings can be done online through: http://www.roamfree.com.au/arthur-ri...t-villas-98334


Views from the balcony:




Turned out to be pretty good, worth the money IMO.. It was a 2 bedroom place with full kitchen, twin-tub washing machine, tv, and such... It was good to be able to wash some clothes and spread gear out... We got a couple of frozen pizzas and garlic bread from the Marrawah store which went down well, then came back out the other end not long later (lucky we had plenty of JD to kill any bugs we might have caught from the shitty pizza)

BILs leg was starting to show the day-2 trauma:



FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 02:51 AM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #112
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_182 View Post
Nice report!! Giving me plenty of tips now that I have finally got an adv bike, 2003 ktm 640 adventure, keep it up, looking forward to reading some more.
Congratz! that's probably a better option for Tassie than the V-Storm you were considering... Nothing wrong with a storm, but IMO Tassie is more suited to a lighter bike that can be manhandled when you poke your nose down the wrong track

I look forward to reading about your adventures
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #113
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
It's still in the PWS "Cruisin' without Bruisin" 4x4 guide
http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6467
"Patons Road is partly in the Tasmanian Wilderness
World Heritage Area and runs from Lemonthyme Power
Station along the Forth River valley to an old Wolfram
Mine around 20 kms upstream. Forest and river views
are excellent. The road is used by walkers, fishers,
picnickers and those wishing to canoe or raft the Forth
River. The road is closed at Oakleigh Creek, 1 km from
the former mine site. It is subject to flooding and
blockage by fallen trees."


Not sure how far I'll get, time will tell

Do you know anything about the track that runs down the western side of Lake Rowallan? (West Rowallan Track), and there appears to be a track that goes west from down there up into the Mags Mountain state forest/forest reserve, looks steep, but would make a nice loop...
your not thinking of lees paddocks track up to Arm river track?

oh and there is a big difference between pattons Rd and the track to the wolfram mine
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #114
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
your not thinking of lees paddocks track up to Arm river track?
It looks like Lees Paddock track goes off the end of West Rowallan Track, I only planned to go as far as the suspension bridge, assuming I can get that far along there... The track heading west up the hill is back a few K's adjacent the lake, Hydro and state forest land, not in the national Park...

Quote:
oh and there is a big difference between pattons Rd and the track to the wolfram mine
Is there, lol... I've just been looking at maps, I have no idea really , the general idea was to head down Patons Rd as far as I can go.... What do you know about it?

Thanks :)

Edit: the general plan for the next trip is to head into places that are barely accessible, places that are likely to not be accessible in the near future... There's a lot of places that will be locked up or overgrown in the next few years...

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 02:03 AM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #115
Gerry58
n00b
 
Gerry58's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5
Nice. Tassie would be brilliant. Well done
Ps. Horse feed and a snickers. That's pretty hard core.
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #116
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
It looks like Lees Paddock track goes off the end of West Rowallan Track, I only planned to go as far as the suspension bridge, assuming I can get that far along there... The track heading west up the hill is back a few K's adjacent the lake, Hydro and state forest land, not in the national Park...



Is there, lol... I've just been looking at maps, I have no idea really , the general idea was to head down Patons Rd as far as I can go.... What do you know about it?

Thanks :)

Edit: the general plan for the next trip is to head into places that are barely accessible, places that are likely to not be accessible in the near future... There's a lot of places that will be locked up or overgrown in the next few years...
pattons rd loops back around to lake Rowallen, lots of tracks there abouts.
the parts of pattons i have been on are easy roads....Subaru 1800 type easy

the Mine track i have ridden on part of it........turned into a river bed looking thing....didnt want to break the DR650 at the time

as usual lots of pics and video on your trip
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #117
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
pattons rd loops back around to lake Rowallen, lots of tracks there abouts.
the parts of pattons i have been on are easy roads....Subaru 1800 type easy

the Mine track i have ridden on part of it........turned into a river bed looking thing....didnt want to break the DR650 at the time

as usual lots of pics and video on your trip
Ahhh, I see what you mean, I haven't been looking at the walking tracks in Cradle Mountain NP, only places marked as vehicular tracks I have no intention of razzing down the Overland Track or the likes

I duck around odd forestry gates at times but I respect private property, conservation areas, and such... Occasionally I'll end up wandering through private property if it's not fenced, gated, or sign posted, but I do my best to avoid it, I hate stumbling into farmyards, makes me feel like a bit of a prick... (I really hate it when people trespass on my land) ... There's been times I've sat at the edge of the World Heritage Area looking at a ridable track heading in there, as tempting as it is, it only takes 1 set of bike tracks to influence other people to do the same, I'm not going to do any damage, but the next person might not be the same... (this is part of the reason why I've been making an effort to ride a lot of the forestry areas that are going to be handed over to Parks and Wildlife under the TFA, and areas that are likely to be locked up for mining, I want to check them out before legalities and my conscience prevent me)... At the moment, if it's public land and marked as a vehicular track on the maps, it's fair game...

Patons Rd to Mt Pelion mine (a.k.a Oakley Creek mine) has always caught my eye on the map, it juts out into the middle of a fairly inaccessible area, I've read Parks and Wildlife stopped maintaining it long ago in the hope it would just get so bad that it cant be used anymore, it sounds like it's at that stage so I may not get anywhere, but I need to go and satisfy my curiosity....
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #118
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
Nice. Tassie would be brilliant. Well done
Welcome to the ADV forum
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 AM   #119
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
Ahhh, I see what you mean, I haven't been looking at the walking tracks in Cradle Mountain NP, only places marked as vehicular tracks I have no intention of razzing down the Overland Track or the likes

I duck around odd forestry gates at times but I respect private property, conservation areas, and such... Occasionally I'll end up wandering through private property if it's not fenced, gated, or sign posted, but I do my best to avoid it, I hate stumbling into farmyards, makes me feel like a bit of a prick... (I really hate it when people trespass on my land) ... There's been times I've sat at the edge of the World Heritage Area looking at a ridable track heading in there, as tempting as it is, it only takes 1 set of bike tracks to influence other people to do the same, I'm not going to do any damage, but the next person might not be the same... (this is part of the reason why I've been making an effort to ride a lot of the forestry areas that are going to be handed over to Parks and Wildlife under the TFA, and areas that are likely to be locked up for mining, I want to check them out before legalities and my conscience prevent me)... At the moment, if it's public land and marked as a vehicular track on the maps, it's fair game...

Patons Rd to Mt Pelion mine (a.k.a Oakley Creek mine) has always caught my eye on the map, it juts out into the middle of a fairly inaccessible area, I've read Parks and Wildlife stopped maintaining it long ago in the hope it would just get so bad that it cant be used anymore, it sounds like it's at that stage so I may not get anywhere, but I need to go and satisfy my curiosity....
yeah i hear you mate.....i do the same

i just sold the old DT so i will have to take the Mountain bike or the WRr into the mine back there.....walkers still use it from time to time as a easy way into Pelion hut and as far as i know the mining lease at the Wulfram mine is still valid so the track is still an access track to that lease
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #120
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?
 
PhiSig1071's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 2,191
Very cool ride reports!

Couple questions, how's the scuba diving in Tasmania? And do the women have amazing accents? With amazing riding like that I might have to add Tasmania into the list of places to look into when I retire.
__________________
Which one of you FF's was it?...FOUNDER!

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014