User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #121
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D5

The plan for today was to head down the Western Explorer to Corinna, through Zeehan, Strahan, to Queenstown for the night, this didn't really work out but it was eventful day

Started by headed around to the "Edge of the World" lookout at the mouth of Arthur River (2km):

Then south towards the Western Explorer on Temma Rd and Heemskirk Rd:

Got to the northern end of the Western Explorer (33km) and discovered it was closed:

The only other option was a long detour up through Rapid River to the northern side of Arthur River and back east through the area we came through yesterday, it was a bit of a hassle, but that was all great forest riding so it was no real drama... I didn't really know the area up here, just followed the lines on the map that appeared to connect through:

Continued north on Heemskirk Rd - Blackwater Rd:

To Kanunnah Bridge (50km)

Then east on Sumac Rd along the "South Arthur Forest Drive"
http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiti...e-forest-drive

I had read about the route through here in the past but hadn't done any real research, I had a vague memory there was a bridge out along here and it wasn't passable, but it was worth a look:

Turned out to be a nice forest ride on decent roads, Sumac Lookout (52km), we didn't stop and walk down to the actual lookout, we were in "rush" mode due to the big detour:

The only "Bull Dust" sign I've seen in Tassie:

Great area, I wont waffle on about it too much now, I returned up here for a few days a couple of weeks later, so I'll go into it more when I write that RR:

Found a great camping spot at Julius River Reserve (60km):

(I stayed here on the next trip, more info to come later)

The turn off to Rapid River Rd (65km), my memory was right, there is an issue down here,:

Got to Rapid River: (69km)

The bridge wasn't too healthy, but it was fine for bikes:

There was a river crossing that looked easily ridable also, if the wooden bridge was any wetter/slipperier I think I would have taken the river crossing:

2 min video shuffling the bikes across:

They were all decent gravel roads around here:

Road closure at the end of Rapid River Rd - Tayatea Rd junction (82km),

Continued north across the Tayatea Bridge, Folly Rd, Wedge Plains Rd, (part of the route we used to get over here yesterday), then detoured up Dip road - Peegra Rd - Mawbanna Rd to Dip Falls Rd so we could check out Dip Falls to make the detour worthwhile.

Dip Falls (126km) http://www.forestrytas.com.au/visiti...forest-reserve

Interesting spot with quirky rock formations:

While we were here a Forestry guy stopped for a chat, he said the falls usually have a lot more water going over them, this was the driest he'd seen it...

To be Continued... .. .

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 09:53 AM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #122
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

2013-Tassie-XT-Tour-D5 Continued... .. .

Continued east trying to take a different route to yesterday as much as possible... Rabalga Rd - Rabalga Track - Keith River Rd - Meunna Rd - Preolenna Rd...

Then turned in to Coal Mine Rd (160km), it started as a good road but gradually got a bit gnarly:

I like overgrown closed in tracks like this:

a few mud holes, nothing too bad:

Then we got to this section, the right bank was too narrow for the Tenere with luggage and the left bank was ridable but a bit technical with trenches and holes, I'd have to take BIL's bike around...

The right side through the "middle" appeared fairly dry and solid, so being a lazy fucker I thought I'd just zip through there, and if it was ok BIL could follow, it would save me having to shuffle the bikes around the side... All good in theory the first few meters weren't bad, I sank about 4" and continued onto a short dryish solid part, as I left that the bike sank, I still had momentum so kept going, then the right case clipped the bank and I came to a halt, I sank up to the axles and sump-guard

As I've learned from a couple of sinking experiences, when the bike stands up on it's own you know you have some hard work ahead of you

Doesn't look bad but the Tenere weighs about 215kg, + racks, + crash bars, + luggage, a total of close to 300kg

Oh what fun, the suction of the mud was the main issue, I removed the side-cases and had to hand dig all the mud out around the bike:

After excavating a substantial hole we managed to drag it back to the short dryer part:

From there we had to lift the front up onto the bank and screw around to ride/push/drag the rear up:

After 45 mins the chubby girl was free

We continued on for another KM or so, it was tough going for BIL, deep 4x4 trenches and a narrow ridge in the middle, not an ideal learner track, we were over half way along this track so I was hoping it would improve, but it just kept getting worse We got to another track wide bog hole, I had to take one of the cases off the Tenere to get it around the edge...

Not long later, trying to skirt around the side of more mud, I ran the left case up against a tree stump and it pushed us over

1 min vid:

(those cheapo pelican copy cases are damn tough)

I was still keen to continue on but got around the corner and the track turned into a mud run, wall to wall bog holes:

We turned around and started heading out, BIL wasn't confident riding on the narrow center ridge of the track and I wasn't keen on him getting the wobbles up and dropping a foot into the trenches which could easily lead to a broken leg, riding in the trenches wasn't really an option, they were too deep and narrow for bikes this size... so I shuffled the bikes out through the bad section, ride mine a few hundred meters, then walk back to get his, and so on... it was slow, but better than risking injury to BIL...

It was a relief to get back out to the good track, if was a creepy area, the whole time I had a feeling we were being watched I mentioned it to BIL, he had the same feeling, neither of us mentioned it until we got out because we didn't want to spook the other one

9 mins following BIL out the good part of Coal Mine RD

(doing damn good for someone with so few k under their belt!)

It was a relief to get back to good roads but a fun adventure, that's what it's all about, working out your limits...

It was fairly late in the day and we still had a long way to go to Queenstown where we were booked to stay, and BIL was low on fuel, so we headed for Yolla to get fuel... Preolenna Rd - ZigZag Rd - Calder Rd - Lowries - Olinda Rd - Johnsons Rd to Yolla (200km)

We refueled the bikes and chugged down a Redbull to keep us going, then spent a bit over 2 hours doing the 150km's down to Queenstown, arriving just after dark... It was a LONG day!

We stayed in Queenstown for 2 nights at the Silver Hills Motel, $105 per night,
http://www.silverhillsmotel.com.au/
The room had a double and a single bed, all pretty clean but a bit old, we ate at the onsite restaurant, good meals... The only negative was a possum running through the ceiling space through the night

FLICKIT screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 10:10 AM
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #123
The Friar
Bugger, lost again

Oddometer: 41
I so have to get down to Tassie one of these days. I was waiting for the theme song of Deliverance to start playing at one point
Great report as usual. Keep'm coming.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #124
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Friar View Post
I so have to get down to Tassie one of these days. I was waiting for the theme song of Deliverance to start playing at one point
Great report as usual. Keep'm coming.
lol, that was an eerie area... I very rarely get spooked but with the odd bits of clothing hanging in trees and the constant rustling of animals I felt a little on edge .... It wont stop me from returning to conquer that track one day though
Old 09-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #125
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Very cool ride reports!

Couple questions, how's the scuba diving in Tasmania? And do the women have amazing accents? With amazing riding like that I might have to add Tasmania into the list of places to look into when I retire.
Sorry I missed your post..

The scuba diving in Tassie is good, I believe we have the best temperate-water diving in the world... Kelp forests are interesting, lots of sea-horses/dragons, fish, and such... Diving with seals is pretty cool if you don't mind being the slowest swimmer around great-white lunch snacks ... I use to dive a bit, mainly chasing crayfish/lobster, abalone, scallops, and such.. being underwater always amazed me, always something cool to look at... haven't done it for years though...

Hard to comment on the accents but all women with an accent different to your own are sexy

You could never regret a trip to Tassie, there's a massive amount of wicked riding compacted into a fairly small area... The mistake most people make is thinking they can whip around the place in a couple of days and see it all... Reality is, you could spend a month here and not have a boring day... (I've been back on the road less than 2 years, done around 30,000km, and I'll have to do another 30,000km before I feel I've conquored the place (at a guess))

:)
Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #126
amzouri
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Haloo......

Beautiful trip on board Engine King Ténéré

Thank you to share this event with us......

Fun........
amzouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #127
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Tasmania:

Devil's Postpile, California:

I'm no geologist, but these are apparently something called "columnar basalt," according to the National Park Service. Found it interesting that such unusual formations are found halfway around the world from each other...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #128
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,156
there's more of that rock up the lakes somewhere

then there is the stepping stones on the Tasman peninsular

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #129
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
This is an awesome thread, cheers
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #130
AndyfromTassie
Tenere Adventurer

Oddometer: 2
Great thread, really looking forward to some updates!

Cheers, Andy
AndyfromTassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 AM   #131
Brookester
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Absolutely an amazing thread. It is so pleasing to see in your posts about caring for the country we ride in, I am a huge fan of "treadlightly".org an organisation I associate with in the USA when riding over there and their philospohies and teachings.
I have taken a lot from reading your thread and its a shame you now have the Tenere up for sale. I have just invested in a KLR650 after having got rid of the 1200 Super Tenere with 100,000kms on it...
Well hopefully tomorrow is a fine day and I get out in the NW around Arthur River
Brookester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #132
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookester View Post
Absolutely an amazing thread. It is so pleasing to see in your posts about caring for the country we ride in, I am a huge fan of "treadlightly".org an organisation I associate with in the USA when riding over there and their philospohies and teachings.
I have taken a lot from reading your thread and its a shame you now have the Tenere up for sale. I have just invested in a KLR650 after having got rid of the 1200 Super Tenere with 100,000kms on it...
Well hopefully tomorrow is a fine day and I get out in the NW around Arthur River
wave if you see a blue WR250r as i work in Burnie

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:40 AM   #133
FLICKIT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookester View Post
Thanks

I always planned to continue this tread but I haven't found the time or enthusiasm.... and now I've moved to a new bike I'm not sure if it will ever happen...

I love the Tenere but I'm running out of easy "Tenere suitable" places to ride, and it would only be a matter of time till I get it bogged, stranded, or hurt myself while trying to tackle rougher stuff with it (solo).. Last year I did a few good gnarly rides on an old XL185 and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was considering running 2 bikes, but the XL is too small and hard on the body, and running 2 bikes is a hassle (and pricey)... The XL served it's purpose and proved I needed something smaller than the Tenere, a WR250R seemed like the best option... I've only had one good 11 hour ride so far, but I'm confident it's a keeper, it suits my style of exploring and pottering around new/unknown tracks, while also being able to handle hwy K's quite well...

Here's a slideshow I made to show potential buyers what sort of life it's had:

(EDIT: All my tracks are on RidewithGPS: http://ridewithgps.com/users/64712/activities (easiest to click on "list view" option up the top)

The new toy:

I'll try to finish this thread off one day, in one way or another, I've posted a bit about most the Tenere rides in the Tassie thread so I might just copy/paste the brief ride reports over from there ...

FLICKIT screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 04:59 AM
Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #134
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 1,126
Really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the pix. Hope you decide to continue it.
Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #135
The Friar
Bugger, lost again

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post

The new toy:

I'll try to finish this thread off one day, in one way or another, I've posted a bit about most the Tenere rides in the Tassie thread so I might just copy/paste the brief ride reports over from there ...

As you were heading deeper in to the scrub, I'm sure I heard some banjo plucking there somewhere
You can see the 250 is easier to handle in the rough, which would be nice. But all those highway miles would worry me.
Keep up the RRs