Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,142
London: Nolan Helmet Stores?

Greetings from the US....
I've got a short stay in London next week and am looking to buy the Nolan X-lite 551 Dual Sport helmet.
It's received very promising reviews, especially given my particular head shape -- but it's unavailable here....

Can anyone provide confirmation of an in-store sighting as well as an address? Extra credit if you have a phone number as well!

Thanks in advance, Friends.

Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 530
Helmet City have shops with them that are near, but not in, London ...

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/categori...ite-X%252d551/
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
2nd on Helmet City at Tatsfield.

Got mine thee 6 (?) weeks ago. They had to order an XL in as the XXL was huge and the L was painful! So I'd check first to see if they have your size/colour requirement in first.

Loving it compared to the previous Shoei Hornet I had - my mini review here:

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...ot-x-lite.html

cheers

Markie
Old 04-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Tome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
I wanted to try one of these and had a bit of trouble finding somewhere that stocked them. Hear good things and ABR mag rated it very highly.
Try calling some Hein Gericke stores, occasionally they stock X-Lite/Nolan (Hanger Lane and Stockwell both easy to get to on the underground). Helmet City is definitely worth going to if you can, whilst they're not in London there is one within the M25.
Tome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Most excellent, Fellas -- thanks!
Turns out I'll be spending most of the time in the Gatwick area (not London), and if I googlemap properly, it appears Tatsfield is nearby?
Looks like a pretty small village though -- is there really a Helmet City there?

Appreciate any other shops in the area, too!

Guano11 screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 09:31 PM
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 530
Helmet City is in the grounds of the reptile zoo (strange, I know).
If you check street view on Google you'll see their blue sign. It's 17 miles from Gatwick though so not sure how you'd get there, cabs are expensive.
Gazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
Helmet City is in the grounds of the reptile zoo (strange, I know).
If you check street view on Google you'll see their blue sign. It's 17 miles from Gatwick though so not sure how you'd get there, cabs are expensive.
Wow, talk about stealth! Nothing like burying the country's most prominent helmet dealer in a reptile zoo in the middle of the (very pretty) countryside! I guess I just assumed Helmet City would be in a heavily populated retail location. There is NO WAY a guy like me would have found this place without guys like you.....and googlemaps.

Looks like I've got some logistics to figure out. My hunt for the elusive X-551 will continue -- even if I have them ship it to the hotel just to try it on!

Again, many thanks for the assists; had no idea just how much they were necessary.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Wow, talk about stealth! Nothing like burying the country's most prominent helmet dealer in a reptile zoo in the middle of the (very pretty) countryside! I guess I just assumed Helmet City would be in a heavily populated retail location. There is NO WAY a guy like me would have found this place without guys like you.....and googlemaps.

Looks like I've got some logistics to figure out. My hunt for the elusive X-551 will continue -- even if I have them ship it to the hotel just to try it on!

Again, many thanks for the assists; had no idea just how much they were necessary.
I'm 99% sure most of the Tatsfield branch is internet sales and think it's their main site. The others are more "in town".

cheers

Markie
Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
I'm 99% sure most of the Tatsfield branch is internet sales and think it's their main site. The others are more "in town".
Thanks for that; I figured as much, given the remote location. Two questions on the Tatsfield branch:
1. Do they have a showroom, or more specifically, can I make a face-to-face purchase there?
2. Is there another location closer to Gatwick, like in Horley, Crawley, or even Brighton -- or a location accessible by rail?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #10
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
Thanks for that; I figured as much, given the remote location. Two questions on the Tatsfield branch:
1. Do they have a showroom, or more specifically, can I make a face-to-face purchase there?
2. Is there another location closer to Gatwick, like in Horley, Crawley, or even Brighton -- or a location accessible by rail?
1) Yes it is a proper show room, it's just in an odd location! I went the first time but no XL in stock so they got one in for me (in the colour I wanted) within 2 (?) days so popped back up to them again. They really couldn't be more helpful.

2) not really, see ( http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/pages/contact-us ) although Chichester may be do-able by train but not sure which trains run down there.

cheers

Markie

EDIT: seems there is a direct train from Gatwick to Chichester - hope this link works for you!

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...today/1030/dep

markie_wales screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 01:27 AM
markie_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Guano11 OP
Half Decaf

Thumb Mission Accomplished!

Just acquired the helmet..... In the end, the "path of least resistance" involved Helmet City shipping 2 helmets to my hotel in Gatwick which arrived yesterday. I measure right at the L/XL cusp and despite claims these helmets run small, the Large fits perfectly. I will return ship the XL -- part of the plan.
Bernie (Helmet City) was exceptionally helpful and responsive in his correspondence with me all along.

Thanks all -- again -- for the assist and advice!