Oddometer: 248
Only one color? Ugly color IMO.
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #107
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I’m on my second 1200 Multistrada and my second FJR (2005 & 2013). My GF also has a 1200 MTS.

Comparing the two isn’t particularly constructive as, although they do share some overlap of mission profiles, they’re really different sorts of creatures. (And why I have both) Think of a full-on litre sportbike at one end of the scale and a Goldwing on the other end. The multi starts at the sportsbike end and pushes toward the touring bike side. The FJR starts at the touring end and pushes toward the more sporting applications. They have about 20% overlap in the middle of the scale.

The Multi is a rip-snortin, rootin-tootin hoot to ride. It’s arguably the most purely enjoyable bike I’ve ever owned. And at my advanced age I’ve more than a few. But that enjoyment comes at a price. Flaky electronics, laughable hydraulics, a gas tank that can expand and crack the bodywork if ethanol laced gas is used, a non –existent rear brake, stuff occasionally falling off, and of course chain drive (a filthy, archaic way to propel a motor vehicle). And there’s that $900 - $1,200 required maintenance every 15,000 miles.

The FJR is a rock solid guided missile; built to devour vast distances at giggly velocities in splendid comfort; while retaining enough agility to generate big smiles in the twisties. And it’s reliability borders on the preposterous. I put 60,000 miles on my 2005 and total maintenance consisted of liquids and tires. The only times I touched that bike with a wrench was to change oil and swap hydraulic fluids once every couple of years.

Think of the relative maintenance/reliability issues of the two bikes as follows: When I get back from a long trip on the MTS, I’m going to at least oil the chain (maybe clean and adjust), take an orbit around the bike with wrenches in hand to see what needs tightening up, and decide whether to bleed the front brake or the clutch circuit. Don’t bother with the rear brake. It isn’t going to work anyway. When I get back from a long trip on the FJR I put the kickstand down and walk in the house.

If your primary goals are to rail in the canyons and put in the occasional 500 mile day, the MTS is just about impossible to beat. For the FJR pilot 500 miles is a pre-lunch warm up before the serious work of the day commences. And he can still give himself fits of giggles when it’s time to drag pegs and knees. If the two go head to head in the twisties, the MTS will leave the FJR for dead. But if the contest is to see who can get from Albuquerque to Chicago first well, by the time the MTS driver shows up the FJR pilot will have had a shower and dinner and be snuggled up with the chick he met at the bar.

I decided to grab up a new FJR as, by some mechanism I don’t pretend to understand, the engineers repressed their natural inclination to screw up something that works well as it is and rather kept a vehicle that has worked splendidly for many years, cleared up a few minor shortcomings, and added some meaningful, proven, mature technology.

Although the one available 2013 FJR color (pewter) looks a bit putrid in pictures, in person it’s actually pretty spiffy. I’ve had numerous unsolicited compliments on mine. It’s just one of those colors the camera doesn’t like.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #108
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 173
3 Multistrada's and 2 FJR's? Do you, sir, have a daugther? Or are you by any chance looking to adopt?

On topic: I believe the 5 speed is getting too much into everyone's attention without even trying it out. Most cars only have 5 speeds and are plenty enough. They have just remodeled the FJR, if it needed a 6th gear, they'd put it! As a "racing" 4 cylinders, they just want you to run higher in the revs to have that power, without compromising the smoothness. 6th gear would be only an "overdrive" that you'd put when you were already way past legal limits, so, why bother? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjitsu View Post
I’m on my second 1200 Multistrada and my second FJR (2005 & 2013). My GF also has a 1200 MTS.

Comparing the two isn’t particularly constructive as, although they do share some overlap of mission profiles, they’re really different sorts of creatures. (And why I have both) Think of a full-on litre sportbike at one end of the scale and a Goldwing on the other end. The multi starts at the sportsbike end and pushes toward the touring bike side. The FJR starts at the touring end and pushes toward the more sporting applications. They have about 20% overlap in the middle of the scale.

The Multi is a rip-snortin, rootin-tootin hoot to ride. It’s arguably the most purely enjoyable bike I’ve ever owned. And at my advanced age I’ve more than a few. But that enjoyment comes at a price. Flaky electronics, laughable hydraulics, a gas tank that can expand and crack the bodywork if ethanol laced gas is used, a non –existent rear brake, stuff occasionally falling off, and of course chain drive (a filthy, archaic way to propel a motor vehicle). And there’s that $900 - $1,200 required maintenance every 15,000 miles.

The FJR is a rock solid guided missile; built to devour vast distances at giggly velocities in splendid comfort; while retaining enough agility to generate big smiles in the twisties. And it’s reliability borders on the preposterous. I put 60,000 miles on my 2005 and total maintenance consisted of liquids and tires. The only times I touched that bike with a wrench was to change oil and swap hydraulic fluids once every couple of years.

Think of the relative maintenance/reliability issues of the two bikes as follows: When I get back from a long trip on the MTS, I’m going to at least oil the chain (maybe clean and adjust), take an orbit around the bike with wrenches in hand to see what needs tightening up, and decide whether to bleed the front brake or the clutch circuit. Don’t bother with the rear brake. It isn’t going to work anyway. When I get back from a long trip on the FJR I put the kickstand down and walk in the house.

If your primary goals are to rail in the canyons and put in the occasional 500 mile day, the MTS is just about impossible to beat. For the FJR pilot 500 miles is a pre-lunch warm up before the serious work of the day commences. And he can still give himself fits of giggles when it’s time to drag pegs and knees. If the two go head to head in the twisties, the MTS will leave the FJR for dead. But if the contest is to see who can get from Albuquerque to Chicago first well, by the time the MTS driver shows up the FJR pilot will have had a shower and dinner and be snuggled up with the chick he met at the bar.

I decided to grab up a new FJR as, by some mechanism I don’t pretend to understand, the engineers repressed their natural inclination to screw up something that works well as it is and rather kept a vehicle that has worked splendidly for many years, cleared up a few minor shortcomings, and added some meaningful, proven, mature technology.

Although the one available 2013 FJR color (pewter) looks a bit putrid in pictures, in person it’s actually pretty spiffy. I’ve had numerous unsolicited compliments on mine. It’s just one of those colors the camera doesn’t like.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #109
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
But if the contest is to see who can get from Albuquerque to Chicago first well, by the time the MTS driver shows up the FJR pilot will have had a shower and dinner and be snuggled up with the chick he brought with him
Fixed
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #110
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:

Its well written reviews based on knowledge that makes me scan forum rather than read magazine reviews based on mfger's hype. Very well done without bashing or boasting, thank you.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #111
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 383
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
After looking at these lights and rereading the Yamaha literature, they are NOT LED lights, they LOOK like LEDs. Semantics I guess.
No they ARE LED's. From the Yam website:

"New sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling, and feature easy-access adjustment knobs so the rider can adjust the lights up or down."

Not too semantically complex, seems like a pretty straightforward statement.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #112
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
No they ARE LED's. From the Yam website:

"New sharp, “two-eyed” headlights with daytime LED running lights add to visibility and modern styling, and feature easy-access adjustment knobs so the rider can adjust the lights up or down."

Not too semantically complex, seems like a pretty straightforward statement.
Cannot find my non-Yamaha source....the manual calls them daytime LED running lights and also "LED type" lights. If you look at them when they are on, they certainly used LED bulbs sparingly, cost cutting measure? Perhaps. The turn signals are also LEDs. Regardless, I'm pleased to own the 013 model.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #113
nevermind
silly rabbit...

Oddometer: 2,525
I may be looking at coming out of semi-retirement and popping one of these into my garage. Are we seeing any deals south of the Mason-Dixon line?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #114
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I may be looking at coming out of semi-retirement and popping one of these into my garage. Are we seeing any deals south of the Mason-Dixon line?
D & H Cycles, Cullman, AL seems to be offering pretty good prices on 13 FJR's. Despite that fact that most dealers can't even get them. Guess them southern boys ain't as dumb as we thought.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #115
nevermind
silly rabbit...

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
D & H Cycles, Cullman, AL seems to be offering pretty good prices on 13 FJR's. Despite that fact that most dealers can't even get them. Guess them southern boys ain't as dumb as we thought.
No way I'm commenting on who's dumber/est! I do like D&H's policies. I'll have to ring 'em up tomorrow!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #116
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
I went to look at one on Monday, and wound up bringing it home. Put ~100 miles on it today.

Like. (and I'm out of time, so maybe details later.)
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #117
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I went to look at one on Monday, and wound up bringing it home. Put ~100 miles on it today.

Like. (and I'm out of time, so maybe details later.)

Pics and impressions please.
When you get time.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #118
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post

pics and impressions please.
When you get time.
+1
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #119
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post

Or it didn't happen!
Thar, I dun fixed it fer ya.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #120
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post

When you get time.
Your avatar is better than all those:

So I brought it home Monday night. All SWMBO said was "GOOD- now you'll stop blathering about it".

So this is my third FJR- I had an '03 for about 8K miles, then immediately bought an '04-ABS and have 67k miles on it. I've ridden a few different Gen II bikes - an '07 AE, an '08, a 2010. There are incremental improvements- Linked brakes, better ABS, better heat management- but nothing that made me think about giving up the '04 that I had very carefully set up the way I wanted.

This one's different. Mostly better, and the few things I don't like are preference items.

I'm coming from a Gen I, so some of this isn't earth shattering if you have a Gen II.

++ Turn signal indicators that are visible in the day but not blinding at night.

++ Windshield- less buffetting and turbulence in any position, excellent protection when up. If I was half an inch shorter (5'10", 32" inseam) I suspect I'd be completely in the bubble.

++ Fairing- The only thing I'm missing is the footshields I had on my Gen I.

+++ Heated Grips: First time I've had OEM heated grips that get TOO HOT. Three levels, and the rider can set up how hot (1-10) each level is.

+++ Transmission- If it's possible to be too smooth, Yamaha has done it. There were shifts that felt like nothing happened, except it was in the next gear. No more clunking into first from a stop. The only slight unhappiness is first or second from neutral when rolling.

+++ Engine Control. The ride-by-wire system has been unflappable. The book says to stop before switching from Touring to Sport, but you don't have to. It will ignore you unless the clutch is in. Only once did the switch cause the engine to stutter as it was still coming down to an idle when I pressed the button.

Take your normal FJR. Give it a split personality- half laid back, half type A personality. Now you have a 2013 FJR, Touring / Sport mode.

+++ Dash. I thought I'd hate the digital speedometer, but the numbers are so BIG it's a non-issue. And the information display is practically a dream- there are three pages of three items each, and the owner gets to pick what gets displayed in each spot- ODO, Trip 1, Trip 2, Time 1, Time 2, Time 3, Range (Distance to Empty), Average MPG, Current MPG, Air Temp, Coolant Temp. The only nit is when moving you have to know what's where, because the standard 40+ year old FJR owner is going to struggle to read the labels.

+++ Centerstand- the Gen I wasn't bad, but the first time I attempted to put the 2013 on the centerstand, I almost threw it out of the garage backwards.
More later...
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote