Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post

Here's what KLRs cost in Guad:
http://www.anumex.com/result.jsp?reg...0&keywords=klr

...a lot.
$6500 USD for a 2008 model.

2009 KLR in San Diego $3750

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/3281310160.html

Its really a no brainer to bus it up to San Diego for parts. If you want to get another bike, find a ride for you and your bike up to SD if you have already gotten the Mexican TVIP.

Youre only in Southern Baja, not on the moon. If it happened in the middle of the Bolivian Altiplano you might as well be on the moon, or Mars, but this is not the case. SD is close and makes the most sense.

Youre going to Tierra del F'king Fuego. It will only take a week to get things sorted in SD whether that be parts or a new bike. If you cant swing it financially the only downside is that a bit of a shorter trip is in your future. Lemonade man, make some lemonade.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 02:33 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #17
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The KLR is some kinda cultish bike for long-mile travelrs. There's history there.

GS'ers and KLR'ers...:)

All bikes have their own faults - a given.

If I were in Baja, and was considering a semi rebuild of a KLR to go further, to be used to realize great dreams, and had the bucks available to buy another good, low mileage bike of a different make, I would get another bike.

Without question.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Ditto

What he said, what's the plan?
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,524
"Adventure is just bad planning"
Roald Amundsen

After going through the OP's blog, seems to me some of the problems could've been prevented with diligent homework regarding the KLR's issues.
I did a bunch of research prior to embarking with a KLR for a travel bike.
Also it sounds like they entered Mexico with an oil burning bike. There's a very good solution for that readily available in the USA.
The best solution really seems to be to backtrack to the USA and try again using all the hard won experience.

I just got a blown shock on my bike down here in Peru. It had well over 20k miles of heavy pounding in some rather nasty conditions.
Rick at Cogent has been the best help imaginable in getting a new one down to me.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #20
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,126
...hmmm...no answers...scamagram?
Guess I'm just a sucker for donating...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...hmmm...no answers...scamagram?
Guess I'm just a sucker for donating...
The #1 post on this thread was from a user who was new, and it was his first post. He's since made one more post, and then...nothing.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #22
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
The OP has a presence elsewhere on the internet, and posted a link for anyone interested. Not everyone is attached at the hip to ADVrider.

As for donating: anyone choosing to do so can research or question until they've got enough information to satisfy themselves....preferably before sending money rather than after. It doesn't look like anything's being hidden in this case, so just decide whether you want to offer support and act accordingly.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
A lot of good advice given. I too, was curious to see what the outcome was so followed Mark's advice and clicked the link back on the first page. So you don't have to waste time it came down to:

(quote)"Update Sept 30th

"Things are moving so slowly here. The mechanic found the parts we needed in Cabo and they got delivered a few days ago. They’ve fixed the camshaft issue, but when they started it up, something was still wrong, so they opened the KLR back up and found a broken piston."
"Things are progressing, but not at a pace we can appreciate at this point. Garages seldom seem to be open when the hours claim they’ll be and we’ve learned that the word “Maybe” here actually means, “Not a chance.” We’ve now been in La Paz for one full week. We meant to be in Guatemala by now."
"On a happier note, the response from our supporters has been incredible. The prayers, encouragement, and contributions to our indiegogo campaign have definitely made it clear that we will make it through this and continue our journey… the issue is just how long will it be until we’re moving again (and how much will the time lost here change our final destination)."
(endquote)

I see that they have raised 3900 bucks on an indiegogo campaign, so I imagine everything will work out fine.
On a seperate note, I was thinking what I would do in a similar situation with a bike that went tits up in La Paz. Being mechanically inclined, I think I would drop the motor, box it up, duct tape it to a small collapsible hand truck or somesuch, lift it into the back seat of a taxi, catch a ride to the bus station, take the bus to the border, walk it across the border, call or IM somebody like Vince/Crashmaster who would know someone in San Diego area with a garage space to take the motor apart and fix it, or buy a good used motor on craigslist if one was around (less likely). Then reverse the process to get back to La Paz.

With all the Kawasaki parts dealers in SoCal, I imagine it would take a week, two tops. It will be interesting to see how the OP fares. My guess is my way is quicker. And you get to meet a lot of nice ADVriders. I know I would lend a hand if some poor sod broke down out here in BF Nebraska and needed my garage to tear apart his bike.

When the plan falls apart the adventure begins. Easy to remember now. Things always work out and you usually meet interesting and helpful people after you finish cursing your effing bike on the side of the road.

Cheers,
John Downs
Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #24
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
My guess is my way is quicker.
On the other hand, your way might not attract prayers, encouragement and (not least) $3900 in contributions while facilitating a stay in La Paz.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #25
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Good point, Mark.

I get a sense you don't hand out money to alkies and addicts at the stoplight who "will work for food".

I, on the other hand am poor and lacking moral fiber and intend to put a donate button on a website if I can figure out how before I head to South America later this month. It pains me to beg, but desperate times and all. I need a fix bad.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
markharf
Studly Adventurer

John, my chosen vocation consists largely of giving until thoroughly emptied, and much of my spare time and discretionary income is taken up running an NGO I started on another continent. If that means I've got little sympathy to spare for someone posting here who by all indications doesn't take sufficient responsibility for himself, well..... I don't mean to sound harsh, but like a lot of stuff, it's mainly about priorities: mine, yours and the OP's.

I'll add only that I tend to feel more compassionate towards those who put consistent effort into helping others, whatever form that might take, and who offer evidence they've learned from mistakes and will not merely crave further help a few miles, countries or months down the road.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Mark

markharf screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 04:26 PM
Old 10-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post

I'll add only that I tend to feel more compassionate towards those who put consistent effort into helping others, whatever form that might take, and who offer evidence they've learned from mistakes and will not merely crave further help a few miles, countries or months down the road.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Mark
Yes, pretty much the way I feel, although you put it more eloquently. And goodonya for devoting your time to helping others. The older I get the more I look back and realize that the times I gave selflessly to others are some of the most rewarding memories.

I do love reading Latin American threads that go off the rails in my spare time though. I now know that Indiegogo is NOT Swahili for NGO. :-)

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #28
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Looks as if the proper groove is back...:)

Good thing.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #29
MrPepper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
klr for sale in guadalajara

how is it going?, found this one in Guadalajara http://tequiladezert.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6589
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPepper View Post
how is it going?, found this one in Guadalajara http://tequiladezert.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6589
It sold. Not a bad price by mexican standards.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote