User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
Paternity Tour 2012 - SoCal to NoDak

10 states, 12 days, 2 brothers, 1 license, 1 street bike, 4200 miles, zero Sense

I spend way too many hours reading wonderful RRs here, so I figure I better contribute. It's not wonderful, it's probably not even very good, but maybe the next one will be better.

Ever dream of going to Cando, North Dakota? Of course you have! Come along with us on our journey to the great golden plains of the far north.

Cando Ride Report - 9/9/12 thru 9/21/12

This last minute trip came about through many beers and little planning, both my brother and i have been going through serious stress and life altering changes. We felt the need to check out for a couple weeks and reboot ourselves, hopefully returning stronger through the experience.

Our goal was Cando North Dakota, a small farm town 40 miles south of the Canadian border, right in the heart of the Dakota prairie. It's the town where our grandparents had lived and where we visited our whole childhood, pure, safe and friendly, a place much different from SoCal.

Along the way we would ride through Zion, Yellowstone & the Tetons, and the Black Hills seeing as many roadside attractions and monuments as we could. I read many ride reports and researched the route to avoid super slab as much as possible, and we rode some amazing 2 lane highway, roads that I will return to in the future, just for the ride.

A month before departure, I received my brand new 2012 Triumph Street Triple R in all it's phantom black/gold sexiness. What an amazing machine! It turns, it pulls, it stops and it does it all better than the competition, plus it's just goddam sexy. Sure, it's no liter-bike, but it's got plenty of pink-slip pulling potential.

My brother with zero street riding experience received his riding permit the day before we left on the trip, but fortunately we dirt riders tend to take to street pretty easily and I was confident he would do fine. His steed for the journey was my trusty '06 DR650 with 26k miles, she had been my daily ride for 24k miles and I felt confident that the mighty DR would do the ride just fine.

Unfortunately the only side bags I had were for the DR, so the least powerful bike was going to have to carry the most crap; tools, spares, cable lock, rain gear, etc etc. Our packing was pretty light, duffel bag full of clothes, backpack for small items, waterproofed by plastic trash bags. Riding gear was the same, TourTech jacket with liner, JoeRocket jacket with liner, dry and wet gloves, boots and jeans. No fancy suits or touring apparati, just us and a couple unsuitable long-distance bikes.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 10:57 AM Reason: fixing image links. bah!
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day1: Rancho Cucamonga, CA - Las Vegas, NV / miles: 225

The first leg of our journey was to be an easy ride out to Vegas to get my brother comfortable with street riding, all straight, boring slab across the desert, we would arrive with plenty of time to do some walking around, some drinking and maybe even spin a wheel or two.

My timing being what it is, today was my Anniversary, the wife was not exactly thrilled that I would be in Vegas alone drinking and partying but she really didn't have any choice. This had to be done and was meerly our staging point for the trip, a place to relax for a few hours before laying down the miles and riding harder than we ever had before.

We checked in, locked up the bikes and took to the streets, having a good time, revelling in the horrible aromas that Vegas has to offer and even finding some places we'd never considered going into while sober.

It was a great night but wasn't really great the next morning when we needed to be rolling instead of choking down sausage bisquits...

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:01 AM Reason: bah image fixing!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day2: Las Vegas, NV - Richfield, UT / miles: 319

Our lofty goal for the first real road day was Salt Lake City, but being that we wanted to avoid the super slab of the I15, we had routed through Zion National Park and up highway 89 into Utah. We would lay down as many miles as we could and hopefully hit all the sites we wanted to see along the way. As we rolled out of sin city, the dark sky looming overhead sent an ominous message. We had some rain gear, but it was completely untested and we had zero experience riding in any REAL rain. SoCal weather is pretty pussy compared to real rain and we had no expectations of staying dry.

The ride across the desert to St. George was just miserable, 100+ temps and nothing pretty to look at, only the music in the headphones to keep you from loosing your mind. We met a couple riders along the way and had some cool gas stop conversation. We reached Zion mid afternoon, since we had slept in much later than planned, we knew it was going to be a long day and we would be riding at night. The plan to make SLC was slipping away at every awesome curve of the road and fortunately, the scenery took our minds off of our hangovers pretty quickly.

As we turned north on the wonderful 89, we caught the first couple drops of rain. Cars passing in the opposing lane were wet and wipers going at Mach2....not a good sign. A few miles later and we were in a downpour, soaking through without liners we pulled over at the first opportunity to zip them in and try to dry out a little bit. As we're standing under the porch of a closed restaurant, a rough looking guy turns the corner with a flashlight in his hand, he points around the corner and offers us his covered patio complete with picnic table to dry out & organize our bikes. What a great thing to do, we shook his hand and tossed a couple stories around before saying our goodbyes and rolling back into the suck.

About 40miles later we rode out of the rain and into a pocket between the storms, we were chasing an amazing thunderstorm with miles of lightning and ominous thunder, as the sun set it made a beautiful backlight to the moutains on either side of the valley as we rode north. We hit the I70 some hundred miles later and again the deluge unloaded on us, this time it wasn't stopping and the Interstate was empty of traffic, we pulled into Richfield and found the first hotel we could.

This was our first lesson in proper weekday trip planning, everything is closed in these out of state towns after 8-9pm. We had no food and considered eating a vending machine dinner at the hotel consisting of snickers and moutain dew....yuk. But my brother "sacked up" and rode out into the sheet of water in search of food while I uploaded pics & video from all the devices, he returned some time after the power went out and we were at least able to eat some soggy fast food goodness.

summary: Rain, mobbed 90mph at night, passed paper, chased lightening storm, johnny rode in rain for food, lightening, power outage, random guy gives us shelter, stopped for cramp buster, saw Zion at 10k feet

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:03 AM Reason: moar image fixing!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day3: Richfield, UT - Idaho Falls, ID / miles: 394

We awoke to a wonderful clear morning, warm and dry, with temps in the 70s. We were both eager to get back onto the 89 and keep running north as the scenery and farm town sights were just what we had been missing all these years in LALALand.

Our first tank of fuel for the day landed us in SLC where we ate at Pat's BBQ famous from Diner's Drive-ins and Dives, the food did not disappoint and neither of us wanted back on the bikes after filling up. Truly great bbq!

We pushed on toward Idaho Falls, breaking the boundary and making good time on the slab. My brother's ass was still breaking in and we made a few stops to let him practice massage therapy on himself.

This day was our second lesson of road tripping: hot tubs. The rest of the trip we would follow suit and try to get a hot tub at least every other night, this combined with a couple beers makes everything all good.

summary: met hollister, hunters everywhere, dual trailer trucks, ate at BBQ in SLC, met Mustang guys from Bonneville/OntarioCAN, johnny's ass breaking in, rode hwy89 to SLC, Motel West = awesome, hot tubbed with Harley guy & wife, found out we loved Rolling Rock

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 12:05 PM Reason: oh yikes, fixing HTML links in the editor is horrendous!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day4: Idaho Falls, ID - Livingston, MT / miles: 299

Another flawless morning, pack the gear, top off the tanks and mob to Jackson (video later), WY and into Yellowstone. The ride into Jackson was epic! Great curves, no cops and high speeds!

We stopped in for a lunch and then headed to Yellowstone where we sat in traffic, and road construction and dodged homicidal cagers. We should've alotted more time for the park as we really didn't get many pics of the ride through, stopping only at Old Faithful for a break and some fuel before mobbing out again north into Montana. But it was a great ride, awesome little roads and cool wildlife and scenery.

Another lesson was learned at this stop, some people really need to know when to move on in their career path. When you hand the bathroom key back to the guy at the counter and he SMELLS IT, it's time to consider a new job bro..

We rolled out north and came upon a group of camping sport tourers, a mix of GSs, VFRs and even an overloaded shitty looking CBR, puffing smoke and about to lose a slip-on. We rode with these guys all the way out of the park, throwing the bikes through the corners and having a good time on nice roads.

Livingston, as it turns out, is dead on a weeknight. And no matter what the sign says, a cafe is NOT a steakhouse.

summary: ride to Jackson = epic, lots of smoke, rode Yellowstone & Tetons, traffic & bad roads, saw old faithful, johnny destroys toilet & guy smells key, rode with group of sportbikes CBR with cramping gear, lots of bugs to livingston, ate buffalo burger, saw elk, moutain goats, 1 buffalo

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:15 AM Reason: boo this!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day5: Livingston, MT - Miles City, MT / miles: 268

Pack up, roll out and head for the border! The plan was to make ND today if at all possible and that means laying down miles. The goal was not attained though and this day we were a little out of sorts, fueling wrong, uncomfortable in the saddle and generally having a slow hard day.

Super slab to Billings for a great lunch at Fuddruckers and onward north.

Lesson learned today, always top off both bikes at the same time. Whether you think they need fuel or not.

Falling short of another mileage goal, we called it a day at Miles City, MT. Which turned out okay since the girl at the front desk and the buffalo in the front of the hotel both needed some violating. Only one of them was claimed, and I'll let you use your imagination on which one.

Hot Tub, FTW.

summary: found cool closed bar, slabbed all day, met cool hotel desk, raped a buffalo, rode with no helmets, awesome hot tub

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:19 AM Reason: arrrahhhg
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Looks like you're havin' fun!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day6: Miles City, MT - Cando, ND / miles: 369

Continental breakfast, hell yeah! Today we'll make Cando, or bust. We load up the shit, blow kisses to our sweety from the previous night and book it out of there like Ponch & John (I'm Ponch).

We hit the border mid morning, beautiful day and we're looking forward to seeing some flatland. The west side of ND retains some hills from the Montana side and has apparently become the home of thousands of roughnecks mining black gold. We hit miles & miles of traffic, hours of crawling along behind oil filled trailers, dodging shady guys and skanky girls along the way.

Once we cleared oilville, we were home free, wide open, ass hauling territory where everyone has a smile and a conversation, there's also bugs. Lots of bugs.

We ride through the Geographical Center of North America, pause for the cause and then visit the Prairie Museum in Rugby, ND. What a cool place! They have an entire town setup in back, all the building are original buildings donated to the museum and setup exactly as they were while in use. Highlights include the school house, awesome blacksmith shop and probably a hundred classic cars! So cool! (we were raised as car guys)

After Rugby, we boil north 40miles racing sunset and pull into Cando just as dusk. Saw no deer fortunately, but lots of wind, bugs and wonderful people.

We wrap up the evening at the local pub, only 2 things open in Cando on a Friday night and they're both bars.

summary: rode awesome road north, Rugby, geographic center of NA, damn roughnecks, crosswinds, bugs, rode 17 into cando, stayed at Sportsman lolz, no prepay at pumps, met Pat

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:23 AM Reason: fixxiiinnngg
Old 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
TripleTee
Over the river

Oddometer: 5,219
This is a great trip - just "Fuck it - where's my motorcycle - see ya in a couple weeks." Doesn't get any better than this.

Little Foot
TripleTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day7: rested on the 7th day! / miles: 5

We took the day off in Cando to visit our old hang-outs, take some pics & video for the fam and unwind. We washed the bugs off the bikes and did an oil change, just to be sure. She is brand new afterall...

i have no idea what year or model this is, i'm guessing it's a bimmer. if you want it, i know where it is!

Finished up with a few more games of pool and a drink or two. Was great to be back in that little town, but a little sad to see so many of the businesses closed for good. Probably 90% of the town was closed and it was a far cry from how we remember it.

summary: oil change, washed bikes, shot pool, everything closed, took pics/video, saw the old house, ate at Cenex

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:28 AM Reason: more fiiixixixixing
Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleTee View Post
This is a great trip - just "Fuck it - where's my motorcycle - see ya in a couple weeks." Doesn't get any better than this.
hell yeah man, that's what this trip was all about! thanks!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day8: Cando, ND - Linton, ND / miles: 200

The plan for today was to head south to visit the family plot, pay our respects and then head as far south as we can get. However, we woke up to rain. Not good. Rain in ND is like REAL rain, not what we're used to. It's also freaking cold, not snowing cold, but cold enough to chill us to the bone. The rain stopped long enough for us to visit our grandparents' at the cemetery before grabbing some hot drinks and rolling for our target of South Dakota.

Pin it to win it! We chuck ourselves south down more awesome 2 lane across the heart of sunflower country. Dodging the large puddles and huddling close to our exhaust we manage to stay relatively warm, not very dry though. Lots of squishing and pooling of water in the boots. We stop at a gas stop and dump the water out of the boots, change socks and continue pressing on. This is where we met up with the first mud crossing.....on my brand new freaking street bike. Welcome to North Dakota!

In all, we have to bypass about six bridges, each bypass is a mud levy built to pass farm equipment and shitty old Ford pick-up trucks, not my brand new Triumph, but she makes it through just fine. Muddy, and buggy, but fine.

As we trucked south at about 85mph in the rain...yeah we're new at this, we downshift and idle through the little towns along the way. In one town in-particular, as we roll through we find the local constable filling his tank on his patrol car, his gaze fixed as firmly on us as his hands to his hips. We made haste once we hit city limit and rolled back on the go-juice. We still aren't sure if those headlights we kept seeing in the distance were the town Sheriff, as they didn't really fall off us, nor did we let them catch up to us....but at some point he gave up.

We run about 100miles and consider heading into Bizmarck for shelter, but that means super slab and we're both tired of slab. As we pass a couple big rigs at over a buck in the rain, low & behold what do we pull up behind but our first state trooper of the trip. Comfortably (and safely) cruising along at 65mph. We had to pace him for a good 60 miles before making a right turn West toward Bizmarck and it was the longest 60 miles of the trip.

I notice on the GPS that our original route south is coming up fast and we're slabbing and hating it. Fuck it, we're going south! Fuel and another 100 miles is as far as we're going to get in the rain, it's not letting up and we're shaking so hard our arms are flapping up & down as we ride. Not good. A friendly lady at the gas station says we have 2 choices in motels in the next town, but she doesn't really tell us much else. We pull into Linton, ND and check them both out.

We grab a bite at the local cafe, have some great conversation with the waiter there who has travelled from DFW to Chicago, and ultimately landed in Linton by buying an $11k house off eBay. What a story!

Now apparently my sense of adventure is a little higher (or more refined) than my brother's, because when I hear $40/night at the Willow, I'm IN! Well, maybe that decision was a little hasty... I realize this after my shower when my brother says, "Were you in there welding??"

Yep, another wonderful night of adventure. Dont let the blood stains fool you folks, the Willow is top notch! And they make pizza!

summary: woke to rain, rode to Leeds, met cool r1 guy, rode mud bogs, stayed at Willow!, met crazy cool waiter, johnny dumped water out of boots, metal shower & pizza offer, no beer in town, thick socks kick ass

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:36 AM Reason: i LOLd at my own thread here. the WILLOW!!!!1
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day9: Linton, ND - Rapid City, SD / miles: 328

We awake, somewhat surprised actually. No continental breakfast, no hot tub, but we did sleep and were relatively dry and warm although I still smelled like I'd been cooking meth all night. Next morning was beautiful! We continue our southbound heading toward Rapid City, SD.

The mighty DR decided to wake up cranky this morning after being wet all day, misfiring and down on power and generally pissed off at the world. Not good. We do some basic troubleshooting and continue on to a major town figuring it's better to keep moving than sit there looking at wet electronics. We were right as the DR kept chugging along all the way to Pierre where we found a Napa, a Harley dealer with Jap plugs (thank you Petersen Motors and Napa!) and some more cool people.

We wrenched on the DR for a couple hours, trying to figure out where the misfire was, checking for plugged jets, changing plugs and ultimately putting it all back together with a hearty "fuck it let's ride."

The ride to Rapid City was uneventful and slow due to the misfire but she made it just fine, didn't even lose any appreciable fuel mileage. Ahhh, hot tub! Eww spandex!

summary: DR running like shit, paced state trooper twice, smallest biker bar, more slab, cruized the mall, beer & hot tub, amish, muffler guy in spandex..., rode by town cop filling tank, laughed, worked on DR at Napa, awesome harley dealer in town

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:38 AM Reason: fixxing fixxing fixxing
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day10: Rapid City, SD - Lusk, WY / miles: 348

This day was the most epic of the entire run, amazing monuments, amazing roads, amazing scenery, just simply amazing. I will most likely ride this same route again at some point in the future, it's just that good.

We rolled out of bed at a reasonable time, refreshed from the hot tub, clean water and clean clothes. Loaded up the mule with tool bags and headed to Rushmore! We arrived at a reasonable time and got to see one of our country's greatest monuments, a statement of one man's will. What a sight to see again.

Our route took us next to Crazy Horse where they kindly let us in for half price, I'm assuming because our bikes only take up half the space. Last time I had been here, 20 years ago, the face was not even started, just unaltered rock. We took some pictures, revelled at the plans the indians have for the area, watched the Government choppers do a fly by, and rolled west.

The lunch stop was Boondocks, a 50's style road side diner with cool stuff to see and a great chick behind the counter. We probably should've had the hot dogs as I've read in other reports, because the food was meh, okay.

A left turn at Deadwood through the town of Lead and out onto the 14A, remember that roadway gentlemen, 14A. The "A" is for Awesome. It's simply the prettiest and sickest motorcycle road I've ever been on. Long sweeping 3/4th gear corners through dense multi-colored forest filling a sheer rock valley, alongside a fresh stream on brand new black pavement. Is there anything better? I doubt it.

When we ended the road my brother & I just looked at each other smiling, like "where the hell did that road come from?" it was a cool moment. That one road implanted the love of riding permanently into his soul and reminded me why I slab in traffic every day in SoCal.

We headed into Wyoming and on to Devil's Tower, a giant rock formed by something or other. I've always wanted to see it since it was featured in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. Beautiful and ominous.

Shit, it's getting dark! We've gotta make tracks for Cheyenne, WY if that's where we're going to lay our heads. We head out across the vast expanse of Wyoming, 2 lane wide open, passing trucks at 100mph.

And then this happened.

Our enthusiasm slightly dampened, we pulled into Lusk, WY and called it a night. Best pizza of the whole trip at "The Pizza Place", a game or two of pool and a warm bed.

summary: rushmore, tractors, johnny got lost, military fly by at crazy horse, boondocks, mauled by puppies, awesome 14a, deadwood kindof, devil's tower, danced at pumps, more dirt riding, boned out across WY, got ticket, cheap room, empty bar, awesome the pizza place

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:40 AM Reason: fiddling and fixxing
Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
vintagespeed OP
fNg

Day11: Lusk, WY - Trinidad, CO / miles: 484

Today was a tough one, we had to be real about the DR and riding it over the Rockies, it still wasn't running right but it was better. Just not good enough to risk a problem at the top of the Rockies with expensive hotels, no parts and few options. This is where our route was altered, we decided to slab it back home through New Mexico and Arizona, all Interstate and all suck. :(

Now we're not from cattle people and maybe some of you aren't either, so let me give you a word of advise. When riding your motorcycle behind cattle haulers, keep your distance.

We slab it across the rest of Wyoming and into Colorado heading to our sister's house, we make it there early afternoon and spend a few hours with the kids & fam before hauling ass south.

Was a beautiful ride, especially through Denver, apparently they make some fine looking females in that part of the country because my brother was having a hard time paying attention to the road, we got turned around & lost quite a few times coming down the I25.

After dark we pull into Trinidad, CO, right near the border of New Mexico and call it good for the day. Due to a faux pas on the front desk's part, we end up in a suite for the same price as a room. Excellent! And another bitchin hot tub + beer experience was had.

summary: cattle haulers, pissed on, rocks thrown, slabbed to sisters, saw the kids, DR wouldn't start at pump, Del Taco yay!, choose to bypass the rockies, rest stop, got suite for same price, found beers, found hot tub

vintagespeed screwed with this post 08-01-2013 at 11:43 AM Reason: ok, starting to get this down now...