Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #31
WormShanks
b00b

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I wonder how many of those, who have been in a serious crash, and survived it, ride without a helmet afterwards?
I wonder how many give up riding all together. That would be the prudent thing to do if they are concerned about personal safety.

Ridden: AF AM AW AU AT AZ BS BH BD BB BY BW BV BR IO BN BG BF BI KH CM CA CZ DK SV GQ ER EE ET FK GI GR GP VA HN HK HU IS IN ID IR IQ KI KP KG LA LV LB LU NR NP NL AN NC NZ NI NE NO OM PK PR QA RE RO RU RW LC VC WS SM ST TM TC TV UG UA AE GB US UY UZ VU YE
WormShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Ungaro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Last year an idiot ran into my ass. Moto totaled & helmet saved my life. I walked away...
Ungaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #33
CHAPIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
some people are just stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzarkRider View Post
I live in Indiana which does not require a helmet and work in a plant that until recently also did not... I see 95% of people in the state do not wear a helmet... I work at a Steel Mill, ArcelorMittal, and most places in the industry do not allow motorcycles or personal vehicles on the grounds. A helmet law inside the plant was just put into effect in July and you would have thought you took away someones child! It is just crazy the lengths that people go to to not wear helmets. I have spoke to many people that say If they have to wear a helmet they just wont ride... Where did this come from that people don't care about their personal safety... I just don;t get it.
I accept the fact that eventually no matter how well I ride some a-hole is going to come out of no where and knock me off my bike, when that happens which could be today or the next or 10 years from now, I want to have a helmet on so I can come home to the things and people I love.

I am glad you decided that your life and family are worth it to you and ride in full gear

I lived in Indiana and was always amazed at the number of people riding with absolutely no protective gear. But to be honest I wouldn't miss that kind of people that much.

I know... pics are coming!

Chapin
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #34
spikerjack 46 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88

Before I retired from the 'feds' I dealt with many RTCs involving bikes . Most of them fatal.

We have a helmet law this side of the pond. The last one I dealt with involved a guy wearing an

open face lid. He certainly didn't look pretty after the tarmac errased half his face. Needless to say

he didn't make it. When I see guys going around in open lids or flip lids up I sort of suggest it's better

to go full face but it's their choice in the end.

The information's out there, all you need to do is let it in.
spikerjack 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #35
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Always wear a full face helmet

Unfortunately we are preaching to the choir here. The people who read this forum know to wear a helmet and should know to wear a full face helmet.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #36
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Helmit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikerjack 46 View Post

Before I retired from the 'feds' I dealt with many RTCs involving bikes . Most of them fatal.

We have a helmet law this side of the pond. The last one I dealt with involved a guy wearing an

open face lid. He certainly didn't look pretty after the tarmac errased half his face. Needless to say

he didn't make it. When I see guys going around in open lids or flip lids up I sort of suggest it's better

to go full face but it's their choice in the end.
I gotta say, once at the cycle shop when I went to pick-up my bike, I forgot my helmet and gloves. Needles to say, I walked away with a Shoei Qwest, in flat black not what I wanted but that's all they had. My point is this, in Texas, we have a choice. With me I DON'T ride without a full face helmet.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #37
cleandirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
What I don't understand is when it's cold out and I see a guy with everything, except a helmet, on his head and face to keep warm. Why not put on a helmet and be comfortable and safer?
cleandirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #38
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
I was stopped at a red light and a kid came across in front of me riding a bmx bike and wearing a full face helmet. When he stepped hard on the pedal, the crank arm broke right off and he went over the bars with his hands trapped at his waist. First thing that hit the pavement was his chin guard. If he wouldn't have been wearing that helmet he would have really smashed his face up. He was only going about 3 mph. All he hurt was his pride, but it could have been nasty.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #39
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
Yep. +1 on that! Full face is the ONLY way to go.

I have the twin to that helmet sitting in my garage. Same make, pretty much the same damage too. My son-in-law hit the shoulder at over 100 MPH, and got away with only a pinned wrist, broken collar bone, bruised ribs, and some wicked road rash. Would have been a different story had he not been wearing the full-face helmet.

Glad you lived to tell.
Glad to hear he is OK. Now's a good time to have that discussion about speed limits with him.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
N. Texas reporting

Aiy, around here, there are a couple of guys I see on bikes once in a while, one guy riding a R1200RT, who all seem to be allergic to fiberglass, er, resins in general. Always amuses me to see them in those little leather helmet thingy's instead of full face helmets when it is cold.

Personally, I did a face plant about 2 years ago now. Yes, an actual FACE PLANT!

Just started to rain lightly, and it turns out the shopping mall I was leaving uses straight oil based paint for its lines. The front tire of my '01 VFR 800 slide to the right and I fell to the left, on my front, arms spread out eagle.

Ripped my jacket under my left arm, quarter size patch of road rash at the top of the tongue of my left show, and, wait for it, wait for it, scratches on the chin bar and visor of my helmet!

A couple guys at work wear novelty helmets, or none, and a friend does not wear a helmet. I don't get it, but that's just me, and by the sounds of it, y'all!

I've ridden somewhere over 100,000 miles, with a full face helmet, and I don't intend on changing that for the next 100,000 miles!
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #41
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Slightly different topic, but what gets me is when I see the great American family out riding bicycles and the kids have helmets on and the parents don't. Who's going to take care of those children when the parent crashes and dies from a brain injury ? I have personally known one person to whom that happened and two others who had significant concusions. And one of those folks was wearing a helmet and still concussed.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #42
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Read thru this interesting thread and have to toss in my "friend of a friend" story (get ready) My sister's former landlords buddy.

He was riding his big cruiser through an intersection with a 3/4 helmet (don't know if DOT or "novelty" but the latter is more common around here)

I don't know how fast he was going but if he was passing through an intersection he couldn't have been going over 40, probably more like 30. He was hit by a car and did a bad face plant, and his helmet actually came off. Along with his nose and a bit of the rest of his face (no joke). He was in such bad shape the doctors had to put him in an insulin coma which he never came out of, he died about 5 days later. (This happened in SF about 10 years ago)

I don't think full gear looks nerdy at all. A guy kitted up in a good full face and riding suit looks like a jet pilot about to climb into the cockpit. A guy in a novelty German style helmet and leather vest with no shirt on underneath, might as well have "douche" tatooed on his forehead.
St.Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #43
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
It may be silly not wearing a full face lid but what about choice? If the helmet law was repealed in this country I would be happy but THROUGH CHOICE I would still wear one..
Old 11-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #44
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I meant to subscribe to the thread
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #45
alii1959
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Here in the deep south ABATE is quite strong. Fostering their misinformation on a clueless throng. I ride a Harley, but I am always geared up. I even have Harley branded armored jackets, which they no longer sell, that are Hi-Viz...even Harley themselves recognizes the benefits of proper gear. The problem is most people see motorcycling as a hobby. A hobby they are not going to spend an additional monies on. Most of them don't ride much or often.

I have a friend who is a nurse whose toothless husband is vehemently opposed to helmets and safety gear. While I don't know the whole story she mentioned to me that she had had a bad accident with a guide wire. Pulled her shirt down a bit and showed me the scar that cut across her upper chest. I mentioned the fact that a proper jacket would have probably saved her some of the injuries. She said she knew that but wouldn't ride with such stuff as long as her husband didn't like it. She indicated that he had had a few get-offs in the past and it had been ugly. Yet, when I saw them at the dealer a few months ago she & he shook their heads at my full gear. I didn't bother to say anything to them about it.

Choice is one thing. Stupid is another. Most rock climbers I know are in very good shape and take as few risks as possible. It is a risky sport, but the risk can be minimized. Same holds true for motorcycling. I have had a few get-offs, never been seriously injured. I have bounced about...but my gear saved me.

I guess I just don't understand why it is so important to make a stupid choice. I understand why the opportunity to make that choice is so important. But, those are two different things.