ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
KAT - Kentucky Adventure Tour route development

Ok, here we go! After a couple of flash mob type GPS guided dualsport events and the discussions that followed, it was suggested that we develop a "Super Loop" around the more interesting areas in KY. Jeff@thequadshop has already mapped out a route that's about 1,000 miles, mostly in Eastern and Southeastern KY. That is the result of several years of work.

Now we are recruiting riders who can point out good riding that they are familiar with and record GPS tracks from them.

Can someone help setup some ground rules here? First on my mind is that we need some way to verify that the "roads" that are shown on the maps are still public. I covered one in the old Livingston riding area a couple of years ago. Then I found out from talking with a forest ranger that I had trespassed on private land. But even the forest service website still displayed an out of date map as we talked. At least we have to make a good effort.

A very general way to rate the sections might be good but hard to pin down. A black diamond trail to me might be a bunny slope to you. Ratings for ground clearance, steepness, obstacle crossing (logs, ledges), hill climbs might be considered. Ratings could be for "small bike" and "big bike" with the KLR being at the big end of "small bike". Heck, KLR might be it's own bike type with everything else either being small or big.

Jeff has marked his loop with plenty of "GFH" waypoints. We need a standard for Gas/Food/Hotel/Motel. Maybe include the closest city or abbreviation in the waypoint name. "B" could be included for Bike shops that might have needed parts like tubes, levers, or chains. There are small independent shops around KY that could be a trip saver and they may not be listed on the internet to find on your gps or smart phone. "C"camp, "S" shower

Does anyone know the most compatible file type? Routes are wonderful if your GPS will use them. Some GPS units have a limit on the number of points in a track so that's a consideration. gpsbabel.org has a free utility that will convert most of the popular files.

I can probably host the data on the server for our shop's website. It may be just as easy to post it to the "tracks" forum here on ADV. Version control will become an issue though. In some cases we may want more than one version and in other cases you may only want the most recent version of a route.

Now I'm going to get way over my head. My family used to play geocache. You go to their website and ask for a listing of "caches" in an area. The you use a gps to find clues to the cache or maybe direct to the cache. Cache owners hide a small container somewhere on public property, usually with junk you would find in the kitchen just drawer. Then they list the cache and a brief description and some way to find it. The website offers those who find the cache a way to sign in and report on the condition of the cache and their experience. It would be great if we had the ability to store ride reports with the tracks. I can write basic html but I do not have the vocabulary to manage data like that.

The floor is open...
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #2
JACIII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
What is the history of this endeavor?

1) The TeT-S documentation has a trail section rating based on "pig" (GS type bike) friendliness of the trail section. There is also a nomenclature system for waypoints, but that appears to be a bit cumbersome at first glance.

2) road verification - hopefully we'll be swamped with volunteers for each area.

3) keeping track of route revisions - just post instructions for file acquisition in post #1 with updates or keep the link to the latest version in post unless there is a concern someone will haphazardly click on the file link and promptly proceed to put their GS or Tenere into places it should never be....

Does this share any trails with the TeT or TeT-S??
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

JACIII screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 04:35 AM
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
subscribed

As those that know me will attest I'm not good for much more than comic relief but I'll do what I can for this endeavor. Can't do programming, have little or no GPS skills (although I too did the geocaching thang) or any other apparent helpful thing. I have been known to pack a chainsaw on my bike from time to time.

Thanks Jeff and Mark for all the things that you do so us idjets can have a great time!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,195
Looking forward to the final product!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
OK, I will help, in fact a few friends and I regularly go out looking for just such things and have some favorites. Are we going to create a database here at ADV? I assume we will not include any paved small roads leading to gravel/dirt, so just "off road" sections right? Is the idea to do some sort of overlay on a map and try to "link" everyone's routes to form a continuous loop? I'm in agreement on the categories that should be defined so someone doesn't think they can ride a section on a "pig" That mean me by the way! Love the old GS but there is just some places I would never take her!
Maybe we should create some sort of central meeting spot where we could share a cup of coffee and thoughts on a Saturday morning! Let's figure out how to make this happen...I'm IN!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
In. I've ridden some of the original tracks that I got from BigDog and really look forward to seeing the final route. Nothing I love more than exploring. I've got a bunch of tracks from the Buckhorn Lake area if I can turn them up. Plus a folder of tracks I've collected from various sources that I have no idea if they are rideable or not. Short on time though to check it all out.

John
Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
fattires
Wandering aimlessly...

Oddometer: 314
I live in Morehead and would be happy to check out anything in this area that needs verified. I can save tracks as well if needed.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,706
I'm in. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Should we store tracks here...

JacIII sent me a link today to dualsportmaps.com. This website is already doing something I talked to a cartographer / website developer about last year. It looks really promising.

Fattires, I lived on Morehead for awhile and the terrain is good if you can find access. We had a 1200GS rider from Frankfort in last week (Ron) and I think he rides somewhere up that way. We'll look forward to what you find.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #11
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
So is the plan to verify Jeff's route or plot new ones or both?

09-25-2012, 07:44 AM #64
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

I've been working on this for several years, I call it the KAT or Kentucky Adventure Tour. It's right at 900 miles of KY's finest dirt, gravel and two lane roads.
It's basically completed but I need to get in a final run before it's released.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:58 AM   #12
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,204
Dualsportmaps.com allows for collaborative map editing. It may be a very useful feature. It's also quite a trivial process to move tracks from one map to another via a clipboard copy feature. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
JacIII sent me a link today to dualsportmaps.com. This website is already doing something I talked to a cartographer / website developer about last year. It looks really promising.

Fattires, I lived on Morehead for awhile and the terrain is good if you can find access. We had a 1200GS rider from Frankfort in last week (Ron) and I think he rides somewhere up that way. We'll look forward to what you find.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #13
solorider40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Very Interested

CMA#112674
AMA#1080306
2008 KLR650E
2001 KE100 (daughters bike)
1983 IT250
solorider40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #14
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
So is the plan to verify Jeff's route or plot new ones or both?

09-25-2012, 07:44 AM #64
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

I've been working on this for several years, I call it the KAT or Kentucky Adventure Tour. It's right at 900 miles of KY's finest dirt, gravel and two lane roads.
It's basically completed but I need to get in a final run before it's released.
I'd say both. Jeff's plans had some problem spots a couple of years ago. Things like where a strip mining company had completely removed a road and replaced it with another one at least a half mile away. There may be other places where ownership of the road wasn't clear. I rode with Jeff 15-20 years ago at the Livingston (sometimes called Cromer Ridge) riding area. Since then I've communicated by email for the last 2-3 years. Finally we are planning on riding somewhere for scouting purposes on 10/10/12.

Mark
Old 09-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Hey Mark, are you guys creating a group to do some scouting in a certain area? Is this something you two can do by yourselves or would you like company to check a larger area? I guess all you have to do is ask and I'm sure more would be happy to apply, myself included!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote