ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
JACIII
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Thumb

I hope I am overestimating the KyDOT's enthusiasm for paving the planet, but a good overreaching idea of where we want to go reconciled with what areas are likely to yield the most dirt per mile would be a good place to begin a beginning.

The areas Jeff's route runs through do look like fertile ground for finding good trails/gravel that could actually lead somewhere with the likely addition of the stuff mentioned around somerset. That's my thinking and it's worth what you paid for it.

Here is the overview map Jeff posted:
[/QUOTE]
"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

JACIII screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 06:53 AM
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,619
I have been waiting for this

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539
Oh yeah!
woodly1069 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Don't let Kentucky's paving fetish make you think the riding isn't any good. Last weekend's "Icebreaker Immitation" or whatever it was called used a bunch of roads that looked like paved bicycle/walking paths and were a total hoot to ride at the expense of wearing out knobbies (if you were running them). It was like a trail ride for street bikes!!!

If only the perfect tire existed that would give you good grip in the mud yet still worked on pavement and didn't wear out in a thousand miles we'd be in nirvana.

Eek!! More boring fiction--One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited:
http://woodsrat.com/one-last-ride-in...-by-tim-weaver
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Woodsrat I know I'm going against the grain here but I've run Golden Boys on the road for thousands of miles and aired down on a heavily laden KLR they produced serious results time after time! I have found no place I could not go on the KLR or DRZ. Now that doesn't include rock crawling just so you know
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
ChevalDeFer
Electron herder

Oddometer: 340
I'm looking forward to see what you guys come up with. I'd love a "guided" tour of Kentucky!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #22
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Following along JACIIIII thought train, it would seem that the whole of the Daniel Boone would be ripe for the riding. Being new to the 'hood I've not had the time to explore them but looking at Google maps there are some great ones out there.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
I'm looking forward to the end result!

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 AM   #24
jbeem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
---- I rode with Jeff 15-20 years ago at the Livingston (sometimes called Cromer Ridge) riding area. Since then I've communicated by email for the last 2-3 years. Finally we are planning on riding somewhere for scouting purposes on 10/10/12.

Mark
I tried riding through Cromer Ridge from the Southwest about two weeks ago and there is a gate across the road about 3-4 miles in from KY 80. It's not a FS gate but a private gate that is padlocked. This is on Falls City road which used to connect Hwy 80 with I-75 at 909. I'm not aware of any other way to connect through there and stay on gravel.

I'm finding that a lot of roads we used to ride 15-20 years ago are now blacktopped or if you find a good dirt/gravel road, it will generally be dead end. There's a lot of good roads around Somerset but they may be too tame for you guys. There's not much in the area I wouldn't take the GS on.

The area around Mt. Vernon continues to attract me whenever I get out for a short ride. There is an area to the south that attracts a lot of ATV's but a friend got a $75 ticket down on the Rockcastle river from the Forest Service. Monticello area is good also but that takes you into Tennessee. I'd still volunteer to check the route to the west of !-75 on the map posted by Jeff if tracks are available to follow.
03 KLX 400
08 Versys
jbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 130
I'd love to help scout locations/trails too. (My GSA definitely fits in the "pig" category, but I'd love to help however I can.)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey Mark, are you guys creating a group to do some scouting in a certain area? Is this something you two can do by yourselves or would you like company to check a larger area? I guess all you have to do is ask and I'm sure more would be happy to apply, myself included!
We haven't set a location yet for next Wednesday. I need to talk to Jeff but I bet he has a good plan. I suspect somewhere bewteen London, Mt. Vernon, and McKee. I'll be on a DRZ400S and he will be on an XR600 or ATK so it's likely we'll be on some fairly dirty sections. I've ridden some of his routes from the intersection of hwy 909 and Hwy 25 South of Mt Vernon up to McKee and Sand Gap. There's no way you could get a normal sedan through some of the roads that are marked as being secondary roads on the GPS. Stay tuned and we'll see where the plans are.

If for some reason that trip doesn't materialize, I have a new Vstrom 650 that I'd like to ride. I'm taking off that day and plan to ride pretty much all day arriving back in Harrodsburg by about 5pm.
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #27
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
There's no way you could get a normal sedan through some of the roads that are marked as being secondary roads on the GPS.
Saw this in Wyoming several weeks back...

John
Old 10-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
Hey Mark, are you guys creating a group to do some scouting in a certain area? Is this something you two can do by yourselves or would you like company to check a larger area? I guess all you have to do is ask and I'm sure more would be happy to apply, myself included!
Woodly1069, I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner. I thought I had already replied to your post...twice. We are still very loosely organized. All I know for sure is that I plan on riding pretty much all day next Wednesday unless something comes up. I plan on leaving Harrodsburg just after daylight and being back in town about 5pm. Jeff will be coming from Louisville so he may be a little later.

What we need is for riders to record tracks of interesting routes in areas they are familiar with. Photos and descriptions need to be available for the routes and probably submitted to dualsportmaps.com. The most fertile ground is probably in the Eastern part of the state. It's going to be hard for those like me who live 3 hours from Harlan to get much checked out down that way. I might have 5 miles of gravel within my home county and no dirt roads.

It's likely that several major type of sections will be described. You could call them something like 1)semi-paved rough single and two lane roads. 2) Gravel or dirt roads;mild 3) Dirt roads; advanced 4)trails open to motorcycles;mild 5) trails open to motorcycles;advanced. We may need ratings for small bike/big bike too. A section might be "advanced" for a big bike but fairly easy for a small bike. Maybe we need to copy ratings from the snow skiing or whitewater communities.

For riders with abilities and bikes that allow them to cover the more difficult sections, their time will better serve the project if they work on documenting the harder sections. Anyone with a gps can document the easy stuff that hooks it all together and there will probably me more of that than the hard sections. Bypasses will be needed around the difficult sections too so novices can still enjoy the project without fear. There are some really cool places out there that can be driven in a Windstar but are better on a bike so find them and document them. This may start slow but eventually there should be a network of sections to build on.
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #29
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Cool Mark, no worries, I kinda figured that's how it would go down, I am in the same boat as most living quite a ways from anything you may call good but we do manage to find a gravel road now and then. We always travel with the GPS and can track at most any time so we will all just keep at it recording and uploading anything we find as good! Thanks to everyone who is participating as this will definitely be awesome!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #30
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,464
Actually the KAT is pretty much finished as shown on the map that I posted earlier, we just need to check a couple spots on the eastern side that have been changed by mining.
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote