ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #31
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Interested

Looks like a great route. What size bike do you recommend ? What is the weather like this time of year? Sorry for asking all these questions, but I am thinking about one more good ride this fall. Three 800xc’s and one v-strom. We were set to head north into Canada, but the weather may not cooperate. So I was thinking of heading south. This would be a fun route and maybe you have others as well. Would you be willing to share this or anything else you might have. Thanks
2012 Tiger 800xc
2008 KTM 450EXC R
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #32
Sideoute
Sideoute

Oddometer: 2
Sign me up

Let me know what I can do to help. I'm from Lex/central KY, but have been on some nice rides down in Land between the Lakes-LBL Some of the members here have some sweet routes down there.
Sideoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoute View Post
Let me know what I can do to help. I'm from Lex/central KY, but have been on some nice rides down in Land between the Lakes-LBL Some of the members here have some sweet routes down there.
Sideoute adn others: I hope to ride on Thursdays some this fall. Tuesdays would be my next choice, then Wednesday. I'm in Harrodsburg but we could meet somewhere down around London, Mt. Vernon, etc.
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #34
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 416
Bump

Anything happening here?
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #35
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
Anything happening here?
Sunday I went out and rerouted a section around London. I still need to make it out east for a little bit of work.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Anyone planning on riding this weekend,I would like to come from cinti and tag along?
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
mickdee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Noob inquires

I'm new to ADVrider and hope you don't mind the rookie questions. Please read below and advise if the KAT would be appropriate for what I'm doing. I'm a 36yr old rider of all sorts, I've owned many bikes, currently a KTM300 harescrambler at a B level, my daily bike is a harley roadking but don't judge me, 56k on it and it's been in the rain, gravel, 20 degree temps, etc. Planning a father/sons ride with my dad and bro. Bro has the same background as me but is a good C-rider on dirt. Dad has ridden his whole life but his dirt experience is nothing more than currently blasting 2 track farm lanes and a little bit of trails 20 yrs ago (He rides frequently around the farm on a KLR250 and has a Harley Electra glide, so he's "current", but he's not hard core experienced and doesn't want to be). He's fit as can be though and rides very well. He'll be buying a KLR650 over the winter that he won't want to crash and I will be buying a DR650 over the winter. We'll find a 3rd similar bike temporarily for my bro. We are going to base ourselves in eastern KY with a motorhome as HQ, and are looking for a 3-4 day adventure ride. My dad would be happy with a gravel road being the extreme, my bro and I will be craving a little more challenge so we'll be searching a compromise.....gravel roads, twisty rough tarmac, twisty nice paved OK too, hard packed water crossings, and offroad nothing more rugged than what you could probably force a car to do if you REALLY had to...scrapping bottom and scraping paint accepted. More narrow than a car is of course fine, but nothing involving risky climbs or rock sections,severe mud, etc. Would this route you are putting together fit the bill or do I need to look elsewhere? I have no GPS or GPS understanding so I think I need to get educated on that and purchase a GPS. Advise appreciated, Thanks.
mickdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #38
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Have not ridden this route but can say from some experience that you will want to get a GPS and learn how to use it. Most of the little back roads will not be marked. You may be able to do some of it with paper maps but most guys here will just post a .gpx file and that makes it super easy to navigate. I only use paper as a backup and was a hardcore paper guy before learning to use the GPS...my guess is that once you try it you will never go back
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdee View Post
I'm new to ADVrider and hope you don't mind the rookie questions. Please read below and advise if the KAT would be appropriate for what I'm doing. I'm a 36yr old rider of all sorts, I've owned many bikes, currently a KTM300 harescrambler at a B level, my daily bike is a harley roadking but don't judge me, 56k on it and it's been in the rain, gravel, 20 degree temps, etc. Planning a father/sons ride with my dad and bro. Bro has the same background as me but is a good C-rider on dirt. Dad has ridden his whole life but his dirt experience is nothing more than currently blasting 2 track farm lanes and a little bit of trails 20 yrs ago (He rides frequently around the farm on a KLR250 and has a Harley Electra glide, so he's "current", but he's not hard core experienced and doesn't want to be). He's fit as can be though and rides very well. He'll be buying a KLR650 over the winter that he won't want to crash and I will be buying a DR650 over the winter. We'll find a 3rd similar bike temporarily for my bro. We are going to base ourselves in eastern KY with a motorhome as HQ, and are looking for a 3-4 day adventure ride. My dad would be happy with a gravel road being the extreme, my bro and I will be craving a little more challenge so we'll be searching a compromise.....gravel roads, twisty rough tarmac, twisty nice paved OK too, hard packed water crossings, and offroad nothing more rugged than what you could probably force a car to do if you REALLY had to...scrapping bottom and scraping paint accepted. More narrow than a car is of course fine, but nothing involving risky climbs or rock sections,severe mud, etc. Would this route you are putting together fit the bill or do I need to look elsewhere? I have no GPS or GPS understanding so I think I need to get educated on that and purchase a GPS. Advise appreciated, Thanks.
The KAT should be great for your dad. There are easy dirt roads and trails on the route but those can get more difficult after some rain so take that into consideration.
What harescramble series do you race in? KCCR, KORHS, IXCR, MSXC?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 485
GPS Thread

Quote:
I have no GPS or GPS understanding so I think I need to get educated on that and purchase a GPS. Advise appreciated, Thanks.
Check this thread out for GPS info. http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

There is also a forum dedicated to Zumo's if you go that route (pun intended).
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #41
markdvk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
GPS is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozzyCat View Post
Check this thread out for GPS info. http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

There is also a forum dedicated to Zumo's if you go that route (pun intended).
I have come to consider my GPS with "custom route" capability as one of my most important bits of street riding gear. I'll say it's right up there with my bike. I start with a beginning and ending location using Mapsource software. Then I keep a browser window open with maps.google.com loaded and with terrain showing. I piece together routes that look to have the most curves, the most elevation change, and the skinniest gray colored roads. Then I coerce mapsource to create a route using what I find on the google terrain map.

Last Thursday a friend and I rode about 200 miles starting and ending in Harrodsburg. I just counted through the route we followed and we made about 65 turns at intersections or forks in the road. In some places we had several turns within 300-400 yards. It would have added a lot of hassle and time to the ride to figure out where we were at any moment and which road to turn down. It would also be harder any other way to record the route to ride in a way you could follow it.

You can get several bluetooth headsets that will let you hear the turn by turn directions in your helmet. So after you have a neat route figured out on your PC, you load it into your GPS and ride. No roll charts, no odometer resets, etc. And any point along the way, you can consult the gps for the nearest gas, food, etc. There are some problems that can develop but you learn to deal with them. One is that often the road sign at the corner doesn't have the same name as the gps data. I did find weeds growing in the cracks of the road one day only to find the road closed around a turn. And there have been 2-3 occasions where the gps said there was a road but none was there any longer.

I use a Garmin Zumo 220 but there are other good units available. The screen isn't very large but with audio directions in my helmet it's fine. It's lightweight, waterproof, and doesn't take up a lot of room above the speedo either.
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #42
mickdee
Adventurer

I appreciate the info and look forward to more. Im now convinced gps is a must. Ill research that on the link suggested. Thanks. As for racing, ive mainly done mwxc which is very equal to ixcr, along with some maxc which is a little tougher and ive done the ironman gncc in crawfordsville, IN. How bout u?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #43
mickdee
Adventurer

Jeff (or anyone else if you have an opinion), my next question involves an understanding of how many miles we could cover in a day and establish an overall gameplan. This is to be an enjoyable trip, not some sort of survivor mission. I've rode 1200 miles in a day on-road and I've been in abusive races and endurocross, but that's not what this is about. This is about my dad enjoying the ride crash-free and the 3 of us enjoying time together. We will likely use a motorhome as a basecamp and would like to leave it in one place and return to it for sleep each night. The commute from and back to Indiana will occur the first day and last day, with 3 or 4 full days of riding in between. I'm assuming an RV spot in Daniel Boone Forest is what will make sense, maybe around Beattyville or London,KY. London would be the farthest from IN we would do. I'm sure we couldn't cover the entire KAT in 3 or 4 days especially since we need to return to base camp each night. My question is if we are not going to ride at night, with the trip in September 2013, what's a logical amount of miles we could cover each day. I'm new to adventure riding. I'm guessing with food and photo stops 30mph average is probably optimistic? So if we don't want to ride in the dark maybe 150-200 miles in a day is pushing it? What do you think of this: On day 1 follow the KAT north out of London for a half day, then return to London before dark. Then day two we could follow the KAT the other direction, south for half a day, then return to London before dark. On day 3 maybe we would just wonder around DBF and rural roads, go sight seeing, etc. Then day 4 could either be more adventure riding or just do a pavement day and run a bunch of twisties and sweepers. Is the London area of the KAT a good fit for us? I assume the terrain is interesting enough that going back the same way we came is enjoyable? I appreciate all of your thoughts. -Mickdee
Old 12-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
mickdee
Adventurer

Actually looks like Beattyville would be a better home base. Closer to home and closer to the heart of DBF. I want to see the natural bridge, etc. I need to investigate what RV sites are around Beattyville. I know nothing about the place, though my brother says he can fill in that gap, he goes hiking in DBF.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #45
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Quote:
I appreciate the info and look forward to more. Im now convinced gps is a must. Ill research that on the link suggested. Thanks. As for racing, ive mainly done mwxc which is very equal to ixcr, along with some maxc which is a little tougher and ive done the ironman gncc in crawfordsville, IN. How bout u?
GNCC, KORHS and KCCR mainly. I have done a few IXCR's in the past.