Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #16
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Seeing as that looks like the piston/plunger, any O ring on there would be needed. Looks like you might have to bite the bullet and order another kit from another source. A friend of mine has had problems with a suppler similar to yours, so I've just been using Motobins in the UK.

I'd send the kit back for a refund ( if shipping is not too much ) or else just throw the bits into your BMW parts stash, they may come in handy down the road.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,011
The part Bushyb circled in his picture is the grommet that goes into the top of the master cylinder and accepts the supply pipe from the brake fluid reservoir.
It's a tight fit to get the hard plastic 'end' of the fluid line back in there.
Almost the exact same dimensions will need to be obtained if a grommet is found elsewhere, otherwise it will be difficult to fit the pipe, or it will be loose, or the grommet will not grab the hard plastic pipe end and hold it properly.

It's in Max's kit picture, so...........they should cough up.

Ready for flack if I'm mistaken about the grommet/o ring.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
lphil
lpihl

Oddometer: 5
I have had no issues ordering from motobins and motorworks in the UK the GST /VAT savings usually pays for the post.
lphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
JimX
.. .

Oddometer: 680
ME109 is right....that was never included in a BMW sourced repair kit. It is a listed part on some Ducati models (clutch slave and rear brake m/c), and is also available from Brembo retailers.

Ducati P/N (includes a elbow fitting with the grommet is 631.4.008.1A

JimX screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 03:56 PM
JimX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyb View Post
I do not want to mention the parts supplier, I am in New Zealand and tried ordering the parts here locally and they said they would have to see it they could get the parts for elsewhere. The parts I was looking for were 29 61 31 1 353 684 STOP LIGHT SWITCH and 23 34 21 1 242 791 SET: REPAIR KIT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER which was for a 1982 R100RS.
I ordered the parts over the internet from MAXBMW by contacting the internet parts manager via email. The shipping cost were about a third of the actual parts cost. I was happy paying this as they had stock and delivery was quick. On arrival of the parts I noticed there was a rubber O ring missing from the brake master cylinder. See the photo from their website with the missing part and link to the parts on their website http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51647&rnd=03252011
And my photos http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/bushyberster/?action=view&current=Oldkit.jpg
http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/bushyberster/?action=view&current=MAXBMWphoto.jpg
http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/bushyberster/?action=view&current=MAXBMWphoto.jpg#!oZZ5QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F %2Fs801.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fyy298%2Fbushybe rster%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D2Oldandnewkit-Copy.jpg
I notified them of the missing part and its been to and fro of emails with no result. They have now updated the website with some parts photos and added more photos indicating the size of the O ring etc. The last few emails I have received keeps referring to the parts manager to reply but he does not respond so the problem.
The last email I received says If I am in a hurry I must return the parts for a refund and I should buy a new complete master cylinder and kit.
I replaced the master cylinder rubbers only because I was busy replacing the stop switch which has seized from standing in storage and thought it should be a good idea while I was busy with the brakes at the time.
I have in the meantime replace the kit all I want is the rubber O ring that goes on the top and holds the supply pipe.
if you don't want to mention alleged bad supplier... why did you post it on Adv?

kinda like ... no picture, it didn't happen
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
As at least one person here has said, that o-ring never came with the repair kit. I wonder if it is the same size as the one used on the front master cylinder reservoir.

There's almost always a solution. It seems to me that long ago I threaded the top of one of these masters and installed a plug which in turn got a hose barb.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #22
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
As at least one person here has said, that o-ring never came with the repair kit. I wonder if it is the same size as the one used on the front master cylinder reservoir.

There's almost always a solution. It seems to me that long ago I threaded the top of one of these masters and installed a plug which in turn got a hose barb.
No, its more like the set-up that VW used on their remote fill mastercylinders on the early bugs (hint-hint)

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #23
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Thanks for the replies. The supplier has now found the part and as I thought the kit shows a similar part but is not supplied. I will request them to update their website to include this information. They are going to supply the part free of charge and shipping. See the part http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy298/bushyberster/?action=view&current=untitled.png

So after trying for more than a month it helps to CC the general manager in your reply if you dont get satisfaction. Thanks
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Just a update on the parts and suppliers. I have received all new correct parts in record time from the suppliers. It was a bit of a mission but its all sorted now. Thank you
Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,656
Quote:
The part Bushyb circled in his picture is the grommet that goes into the top of the master cylinder and accepts the supply pipe from the brake fluid reservoir.
That part? Same as used on the BMW -02 series (1602, 2000, 2002) od cars. Invariably cracked and deteriorated, not always included in the repair kits, had a obscure part #. Like 'Wire said, I think is was an VW Beetle part and more readily obtainable. I used to have a bag of loose grommets squirreled away.

An ATE oddity...
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
bushyb OP
Adventurer

I have replied and thanked them for their efforts. I have also asked them to update their web site with the kit they supplied to me. The photo on the website shows the rubber even though it is not the exact correct one, one thinks it would be supplied with the kit although looking at the kit diagrame it does not show the rubber, so I think it is only fair that they make that clear when one searches or orders parts.