ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #796
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Definitely does count, and she saved a few butts last year for sure.

But the whole idea is to be self-sufficient, and it's unfair to put that kind of responsibility on her.
Ok if you don't want to put that kind of pressure on her, I will

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #797
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Oh you have no idea. My ride, as well as two of my teammates, starts on June 7th and we will be living off our bikes for a week before the Roaming Rally even starts. . I'm just trying to plan our stops. As best as I can figure, we will cover about 1300 miles on the trip, not including mileage in the Rally itself.

Here's a rough picture of the route we'll take. It'll certainly expand a little when details get filled in.

That's a lot of slab. I can give you some suggestions for ride between Albany and Kingston. One of the things you might consider is the Wolfe Island Ferries between Cape Vincent and Kingston.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #798
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I don't understand?

[QUOTE=Gone-Native;20543950]Prepping my liver for June

QUOTE]
I don’t understand - I thought bobbob1015 was bringing the oil?
You mean if you get stuck on the side of the trail, and are close to dehydration - you can drink that stuff?
Cool if you can!

Seriously - this is coming from a Blue Light Lime drinking, little "girly 250" Yamaha rider.
(note: I call my 250 a little girly bike - please do not take offence - some also call it a "circus bike" when I'm on it - all in fun)

Also - bobbob1015 have PM'd each other (never met each other yet) - and we will continue to discuss and modify our "beer bet" - trying to stay as PC as possible.

Is it June yet?
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #799
alcontrast
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,571
Yeah Boatman. I was just going to send Rob (AkaRob) a PM about incorporating your route that we took to the start of the rally last year since it looks like he has a similar route planned, In his map it would have to be the opposite direction after the RR I think.. . That was a fun ride from your place up the the RR last year.. Was it "Old Military Road" or something along those lines that we were on for a while?

As for the "rescue truck" it should be known to everyone here that you are essentially on your own for the Roaming Rally.. Don't count on anyone helping you aside from perhaps your team members; assuming you chose some respectable team members.

Having said that it's always inspiring to see the kindness of others in action and if you've ever been stuck somewhere and had someone you just met fix your carburetor, tow your bike out of the woods or stay with you until help arrived you know how great of a thing that is.. I think that "help if you can" attitude is already part of the personalities of most of the people involved in this ride which is part of why it's such a great ride. While there are no official rescue personnel it's always a good idea to look after each other. If you see someone not on your team who is on the side of the road and may possibly be stuck or hurt at least slow down and give them a thumbs up / thumbs down sign.. If the reply is thumbs down stop for a few minutes and see what's up. You may just save their day with something as simple as a pint of fuel or a borrowed air pump, etc... . . . If it's thumbs up you have (my) permission to hit the throttle hard and roost him/her a little as payback for making you slow down!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #800
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
That's a lot of slab. I can give you some suggestions for ride between Albany and Kingston. One of the things you might consider is the Wolfe Island Ferries between Cape Vincent and Kingston.
Sounds good. I'm not sure if I'll be on interstate or secondary roads, but by the time I'm coming home, I'll be wasting no time. I have to get ready to go on a cruise to the Caribbean the following day. Besides, I love riding the big girl on the slab too. It'll be interesting to see how the knobbies hold up (or don't) over the 1500+ miles. C'mon June!
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #801
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 170
Metal Testing

A little off topic here but since this thread is so popular I want to ask if ANYONE in Ottawa knows of where I can get a piece of aluminum tested for stress levels or something....any company, connection you have or if you're a mad metal scientist...PM please....

thanks

tj

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #802
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
On your way north the PDR is a really nice ride to consider. I did most of it last year, very nice ride that brings you right the CDN boarder.

Quote:
Oh you have no idea. My ride, as well as two of my teammates, starts on June 7th and we will be living off our bikes for a week before the Roaming Rally even starts. . I'm just trying to plan our stops. As best as I can figure, we will cover about 1300 miles on the trip, not including mileage in the Rally itself.

Here's a rough picture of the route we'll take. It'll certainly expand a little when details get filled in.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 AM   #803
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,586
What part do you need inspected? If the metal is clean, and you look very closely, you should be able to see some evidence of metal fatigue - hairline cracks. I'm thinking of something like where two frame members connect at a weld.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #804
canridertj
CANRIDER

Quote:
What part do you need inspected? If the metal is clean, and you look very closely, you should be able to see some evidence of metal fatigue - hairline cracks. I'm thinking of something like where two frame members connect at a weld.

a bend in the aluminum created during fabrication and YES..they are fractures all along the bend...I can see them without my reading glasses....they creator will not let me return the item...I just bought it a couple of weeks ago....I figure if I had it tested and a report filed, I could prove this and maybe get my money back.....

Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #805
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,017
what part?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:34 AM   #806
canridertj
CANRIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
what part?
skid plate....the bend is at the front where the piece covers the cross member on the exhaust...I have an r1200gsa.....the fractures are very obvious..all down the bend....what is my recourse on this matter?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #807
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
skid plate....the bend is at the front where the piece covers the cross member on the exhaust...I have an r1200gsa.....the fractures are very obvious..all down the bend....what is my recourse on this matter?
New or used?

Pics?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #808
canridertj
CANRIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
New or used?

Pics?
brand new.....never placed on the bike....my camera won't focus close enough for pics......I will try again tonight when I get home....I was a little upset about the condition and his response or lack of..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #809
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjj1 View Post
Depending on where it is, it might not matter at all. It's not a structural piece.... Might want to start your own thread for it somewhere other that here.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #810
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Depending on where it is, it might not matter at all. It's not a structural piece.... Might want to start your own thread for it somewhere other that here.
+1 start a thread somewhere else

On a 12 gs the skidplate is only to stop rocks when they hit it, I doubt very much a stress crack will make a difference. As mentioned this is not a structural part nor is it a big ticket item...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote