ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #1081
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneorange View Post
Those of you from NY, NJ, PA or New England area... what ride would you compare the RR to in terms of difficulty, and overall big bike fun factor?
Tx.
My guess would be Berkshire, with hero sections..... You must like water for this one and, if you're really crazy...... I'm riding my 1200GSA
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #1082
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Hell, for the money you've spent on 990 farkles, you could have bought a used 640. I know it's not my call, but I say keep it. You have it set up very well and you ride it equally as well. The 990 is the cat's ass when the trail smooths out too. It goes from big trail bike to road warrior somewhere around the middle of 3rd gear. Such a nice machine. We still have to agree on our team name too. Who was our team Captain again?

I ordered my luggage racks today. That was a major item checked off the list.
You're probably right. Wierd things happen to my brain in the non-riding months.
Not sure about who's captain. My vote is for alcontrast since he was there last year.
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #1083
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 688
If you can do the Birkshire BBA with Hero sections you are probably there. The one thing that is different about the RR than any other rally in the North Eastern Americas is that a three day 1000 mile ride is much more physicaly demanding. An amateur might beat his way through the tough stuff for a day but after that they will wear out. The skills dont just make you ride better, they make it so you exert less force doing so. The amateur will just wear him/her self out before you can get half way through.

Come for the Birkshire BBA anyways. I will be working but there will be others from the RR there. In fact we, the Birkshire Trail Riders, would love to see more of the Roamers there. The route will be well up to the standards we have set in recent years.

BTR 2013 Berkshire Big Adventure -- May 18 & 19 -- AMA National Two Day Event
Primitive camping at Rally start point or camp at Pioneer Valley
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854192
Other related conversations
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/999...two-day-event/
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/999441-ama-national-adventure-ride-may-18-19-tolland-ma/
http://www.nedirtbikes.com/content/2013_Berkshire_Big_Adventure_--_May_18_%26_19_--_AMA_National_Two_Day_Event/m_300145/tm.htm
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...ON&c=ADV&d=All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone-Native View Post
My guess would be Berkshire, with hero sections..... You must like water for this one and, if you're really crazy...... I'm riding my 1200GSA
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #1084
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Im taking the 250 out anyways. The heck with the trail damage, in fact I am gonna run over some baby bunnies and maybe even run into an eagle or two while I am out there. Grrrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not really a good idea. The damage your tires will make to the trails is just not worth it. Stay on roads for a while.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #1085
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneorange View Post
Those of you from NY, NJ, PA or New England area... what ride would you compare the RR to in terms of difficulty, and overall big bike fun factor?
Tx.
Closest in my experience would be the Berkshire Big Bike ride, without the nastier hero sections. The terrain and the scenery really can't be explained though. You have to see it to believe it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1086
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessier View Post
It's on page one in the same spot for me. Our team had a last min addition. I got Wolfman Allen Tucker to join our team. He's practically a celebrity in his own right does that count? If any other celebrities want to come registration was open to them at the same time it was open to us. I didn't see a special celebrity registration section when I signed up. I almost got one of the Rauseo brothers to join us too he's and his brother did Dakar and his brother ran Jonah Street and the Pan America rally team for years.
I know Charlie reasonable well, did a couple of his rally schools
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #1087
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
It has been brought to my attention that the product comonly heard of in this forum as Screech is actually Rum produced in a Eastern Canadian region. I must say this is unacceptable.

You Canadians have done alright by us to be sure but enough is enough. Rum was meant to be produced, and mostly drunk, in the Caribean. While primarily for Pirates it can be enjoyed by all. That said, Rum produced by people that have even seen dog sleds, never mind invented them, is just not acceptable. To prove this I have gone to great lengths to procure this bottle for the rally. It will prove once and for all why Pirates hang out in the Caribean rather than in Canada.

With any luck I will manage to bring it with the seal still intacked though I make no promises. Yes I am a Pirate, born 200 years too late.

You seem to have missed a little history, there was always plenty of rum in eastern Canada due to a healthy trade relationship with the Carribean and I have no doubt plenty of pirates came from here too, us being a seafaring nation. Besides I didn't see you pull a bottle of rum out of your bag did I?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #1088
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You haven't been able to ride?

Meanwhile in VT

I guess it's not quite June.....
I should have said "chosen" not to ride. Two wheels and ice don't mix, plus the amout of salt on the roads here in Newport is more than I wan't to deal with - especially since I have turned off water to the spigots at my home. It's just plain inconvenient during January and February.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #1089
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,172
Who says two wheels and ice don't mix?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1090
go2cnavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Who says two wheels and ice don't mix?

I like those two wheels and ice. ~ 220 lbs vs. dropping the big orange pig @ ~450lbs
Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #1091
Sewerat
Cert. bike whore

Oddometer: 1,172
Well that's what I'll be on the rally on, minus the ice ;).
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #1092
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

I went looking for Screech, turns out you cant get it anywhere down here. People just figure why bother when you have all those pirates goign back and forth to the Caribean. When this bottle showed up I fugures I had this years traveling companion. Last year was Stout, I even did a tasting at the first night presentation. The year before was a tequilla year. Not too many people seemed interested in the tequilla, must just be us old soldiers that drink that.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
You seem to have missed a little history, there was always plenty of rum in eastern Canada due to a healthy trade relationship with the Carribean and I have no doubt plenty of pirates came from here too, us being a seafaring nation. Besides I didn't see you pull a bottle of rum out of your bag did I?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #1093
canridertj
CANRIDER

Oddometer: 161
Puke

Makers Mark..now that something you might like to try....

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man
canridertj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #1094
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 793
Gotta love Screech, use to be lots around our house. My father designed the label prior to the one on it now. It's made in Jamaica and bottled on the rock and if anyone wants too be screeched in I'd be happy to help out if ya sign a waiver ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #1095
Tessier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I have never purchased a Trail worthy GPS so what's everyone using? I know that might be a bit like asking what tire is the best but I figured I would at least get some input. So far I like the Garmin Montana 600 because of the larger screen size and figure I am not getting any younger so why not plan ahead, but boy is it bulky. They all seam to be over built and need a RAM mount. I used a Garmin eTrex 20 for the Paris to Dacre last year and I found the screen to be too small I struggled to figure out the direction of the arrow all day because I would have to pause to see it. I would like to be able to lay out some of my own routes this year so which ones do you guy's find the most user friendly?
Tessier is offline   Reply With Quote