Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #61
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
I see that Emig racing does a top clamp, and steering damper for the f800gs. If he is already jigged up for that, I cant see it being that difficult to make some triple clamps, grab 48mm WPs from a 950/990, swapping the feet for the bmw ones, machined of course, and then keeping the bmw front wheel, brakes, calipers.....
I don't think it's going to be that easy to just machine the BMW feet to accept the WP sliders and still be sure that the remaining wall thickness is safe enough.... You are welcome to be the first to try though.

If you are going to have some new triples machined anyway, you might as well go the whole way by keeping the KTM feet and replacing the BMW wheel with something better.

21" and that wide doesn't make any sense because they don't handle well on the street and then dent easily when you go off road as people have noted. So either get a narrower and stronger 21" rim if you ride harder off road, or a 19" that has better street manners and still works ok on gravel and two track type riding.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #62
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Did I mention that I have a 19" woody's tubless that I use mainly for on road (conti attacks) , and occasionally for touring (K60s), and keep the oem set strictly for off road? Instead of keep the bmw wheel, I should have said, keep the bmw calipers and abs.
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #63
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did I mention that I have a 19" woody's tubless that I use mainly for on road (conti attacks) , and occasionally for touring (K60s), and keep the oem set strictly for off road? Instead of keep the bmw wheel, I should have said, keep the bmw calipers and abs.
Not sure if the stock wheel would still fit width wise as the KTM triples are narrower, and it uses a 20mm axle vs. the KTMs 30mm. What's the disc flange to disc flange and the wheel bearing to wheel bearing width on the stock hub?

But it's definitely possible to keep the ABS working with a full front end swap. It does on all the bikes I have converted to WPs, either with dual BMW/KTM Brembos or even a single 4 piston Motomaster.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #64
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I am obviously talking to the right guy then. I am not happy with my 45mm marzocchis...i dont want to change to the wp 43mm on the new bike. I want to put wp 48mm on. i want to keep abs. Id prefer to keep the bmw twin brembo calipres.

What are my options.?
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #65
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

If you get me those measurements from the BMW hub I should be able to tell you whether it's possible to keep your current wheels with the way I set up these swaps. But it will still require a custom axle and probably wheel spacers.

If you are willing to have custom triple clamps, caliper mounts, axle, fender mounts, etc machined then of course everything is possible.

Emig should be able to provide those parts, they just won't be cheap and will only work with his damper and not a Scotts.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #66
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
I am obviously talking to the right guy then.
you definitely are

Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #67
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
What would also be helpful to get an idea of the feasibility is if you could measure the thread size and pitch of your fork caps. You can easily remove those by simply loosening the upper triple clamp pinch bolts and then turning the cap with a socket. You don't even have to take it out all the way, just enough to check the threads.

I'll do the same with my KTM WP parts and a set of 08-12 BMW fork caps.
Time... Sigh. I keep in the back of my mind this thread. My calipers (for reloading, lol) are in one city and my tools to work on the bike/car are in another.

Ideas as to: How deep is the cap? How may threads do you need me to measure? What are the torque specs to tighten her back up?
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #68
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

I just took some measurements from a 2010 BMW fork and an adjustable KTM WP cartridge.

The caps definitely will not interchange (thread size and pitch is different) and I don't think they can be made to fit either. The KTM cap is a lot larger and you will not be able to turn it down and still have enough wall thickness remaining.

Unless the 2013 caps and upper fork tubes are dimensionally different this will not be an easy swap.

Bottoms could probably made to work but that doesn't help much.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #69
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
That's what I did on the Shivered Fork swap. Had stock fork bottom lugs machined to accept the compression adjuster from the donor forks and used to top caps & all internal parts from the donor forks. Easy internal swap.

Lukas,
Why not just machine the stock caps to accept the rebound adjustment? Use top caps, internals, macine bottoms & use any fork internals that will fit. 45mm or smaller off almost any dirtbike with enough travel. Travel can be shortened pretty easily. Lengthening is harder...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #70
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Lukas,
Why not just machine the stock caps to accept the rebound adjustment? Use top caps, internals, macine bottoms & use any fork internals that will fit. 45mm or smaller off almost any dirtbike with enough travel. Travel can be shortened pretty easily. Lengthening is harder...
I don't see how that is possible due to the differences in size and shape of the adjuster mechanism and how much smaller the ID of the BMW cap is.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #71
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

So what does the adjuster look like & connect to? All you need to do is machine it to allow the same connection.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #72
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I don't see how that is possible due to the differences in size and shape of the adjuster mechanism and how much smaller the ID of the BMW cap is.

Looking at those pictures and the one from above:

It looks like it would be easy to machine the BMW top cap to accept the adjuster part.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #73
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
Are we still talking about the 2013 WP forks? The big issue with the older bike is the crimped cartridge tubes. Any one check to see if the new WP can be revalved?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #74
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Are we still talking about the 2013 WP forks? The big issue with the older bike is the crimped cartridge tubes. Any one check to see if the new WP can be revalved?
Crimped tubes are only the start of it. The stock "pumping member" cartridge is just a plunger in a steel tube with a hole drilled it. The hole is the valving. Lol!! no shim stack to revalve.

Someone needs to pull the WPs apart & post pics.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #75
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Seems like this thread took a few twists and turns.....can anyone comment on the new fork after spending some time on the bike?