Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 173
Suzuki B105p timing (Two Strokes in General)

When I got this Bearcat, the previous owner said it would run good for awhile and then just quit. (It ran great and crisp when I tested it) He had a large cork in place of the gas cap, so I figured that may be what the problem was (no vent). After riding it a about 2 to 3 miles on a couple occasions without the cork in place and also with a proper cap, it did the same thing to me. Hoping it wasn't a break down in the ignition system from heat, I decided yesterday to check the timing first as it had tried to kick back a couple of times when starting. I found it advanced about 6 deg but at my altitude (6350 ft) didn't think that would be too bad. At least it's not for a four stroke. So I set it back as close as I could to the mark, actually ended up about 1 or 2 degrees after the timing mark. Took it out for a ride and it ran great all afternoon. No noticeable loss of power and much smoother and stronger bottom end power.
Was wondering if anyone else experienced such a reaction (refusing to run) after a few miles just due to slightly advanced timing on a 2 stroke. I'm sure the problem was related to heat but not sure just how that would effect it's ability to run or especially just shut down. Burn a hole in the piston maybe. Apparently 1 deg of advance for each 1000 ft of altitude doesn't apply to a 2-stroke.
Glad I got it sorted quickly however. I guess I'll be checking timing a little more closely on some of my other smokers soon.
Here's a pic of the little smoker on the lift.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924068
Rizingson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 744
Damn..that thing looks like new . Nice find.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods wizard View Post
Damn..that thing looks like new . Nice find.
Thanks! Well not brand new, but still not broken in. Had 899 miles on it when I got it
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
slammer449
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Timing

Sounds like it probably overheated. Timing is critical on a two stroke and with it running that far advanced I'm surprised you didn't hole the piston. I would get hold of a dial indicator and set the timing properly. A great site for 2 stroke info is. 2strokeworld.com
slammer449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,053
Iron barrel 2 strokes should be broken in somewhat gently they can't shed the heat as well as a linered cylinder engine. I'd also check that the injector pump is adjusted and pumping properly.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
backofbeyond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
That's a great bike! I've got the ride to work boring version (B120P) and I've not found ignition timing that critical - a few degrees either side of the mark hasn't made much difference - but that's "a few" - 1 or 2. 6 is heading into danger zone too much and may well have been overheating the plug.

What has stopped mine a number of times has been the fuel tap filter blocking up and I had to seriously derust inside the tank to stop it.

Once you get it run in you'll find the engine is in such a mild state of tune that flat out is just about the same as half throttle on any other smoker of the period. Last year mine did 1500+ miles on full throttle on the German autobahns without anything going wrong - not even a plug change.

Here's a picture of me trying to fit snow chains to it a few weeks ago -

backofbeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Rizingson OP
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by backofbeyond View Post
That's a great bike! I've got the ride to work boring version (B120P) and I've not found ignition timing that critical - a few degrees either side of the mark hasn't made much difference - but that's "a few" - 1 or 2. 6 is heading into danger zone too much and may well have been overheating the plug.

Here's a picture of me trying to fit snow chains to it a few weeks ago -

Mine hasn't missed a beat since I moved the timing back as close to the mark as I could get it.
Nice Bike you have there, that model wasn't sold in the US though. Cool to see you putting the miles on it, especially in cold weather. I'm not nearly that tough.