Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 121
Took the Elsinore out at sunset with the girlfriend on the WR250x. The whole time I'm riding I couldn't wipe that silly grin off my face. If you think back to when that bike was new, imagine taking off the through the twisty canyons and going way too fast. The Elsinore is very capable in the corners! I was very shocked. Then imagine the pavement ending for the first time you had a machine that could soak up pot holes and ruts while power sliding around all the corners with ease. This must have felt like a major technilogical advancement! The trials tires are pretty sticky. They are glued down in the corners on the pavement and have a very secure grip on the dry slick DG roads around my place. I can't believe I never used them before on anything...
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 844
Awesome! Dang, you got me thinking about mine. It's a barn find, although I put it there so that probably doesn't count. It needs everything, and is down the projects list a ways.... Fun bike, I miss having it working - it's good to see one being used.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #18
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Your elsinore looks like its really complete! What's up with it? There are lots of parts on eBay right now for them.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
ctune80
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Nice MT 250! Looks fun, where do you ride around San Diego these days. I used to ride at the old Palm avenue area when I was there and loved it!

You ought to bring that MT up to Gorman this weekend for Yamaha Endurofest. They welcome all vintage riders to the event! It includes lots of riding on the trails of Hungry Valley and benchracing at the campsite at night!
ctune80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage View Post
Awesome! Dang, you got me thinking about mine. It's a barn find, although I put it there so that probably doesn't count. It needs everything, and is down the projects list a ways.... Fun bike, I miss having it working - it's good to see one being used.

That is how mine looked when found, just stripped of lights and with dry rotted flattened sideways tires... The kid I bought it from, got it from his uncles barn and had spent weeks trying to figure out how to get spark from the twenty wires on the harness! Lucky it had been such a trouble for him to just get running, he never got to abuse it! That is where I came in and "saved it" from his unsavory paws... He wasn't even impressed when I pulled 4th gear down his back alley, with that rotted front tire flopping sideways around the rim! Kids these days

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 11:27 AM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctune80 View Post
Nice MT 250! Looks fun, where do you ride around San Diego these days. I used to ride at the old Palm avenue area when I was there and loved it!

You ought to bring that MT up to Gorman this weekend for Yamaha Endurofest. They welcome all vintage riders to the event! It includes lots of riding on the trails of Hungry Valley and benchracing at the campsite at night!
I totally would but my girl and I are going to willow springs raceway for a 24hr event. We are pitting.

As for riding in San Diego... We go east and use fire roads. Or keep going east till Anzac Borrego desert.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,999
The Suzi TS 250 from that era was much more potent than the Honda. I had the MT250, it was a fine commuter, but the gas mileage with the tiny tank was poor, seemed like I had to fill up every 70~90 miles.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
The Suzi TS 250 from that era was much more potent than the Honda. I had the MT250, it was a fine commuter, but the gas mileage with the tiny tank was poor, seemed like I had to fill up every 70~90 miles.
Ha, my best mileage was 41mpg! That's 66 miles to empty. On reserve at 46 miles lol I have a 200cc Vespa p200 that gets 65mpg. It has about the same performance power wise. I'm hoping when I do the new top end I can make it more efficient. Oh, and a luggage rack/ auxiliary tank is in the works. It needs to go 100 miles...
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #24
Gizzaride
Banned

Oddometer: 191
Coming from Elsinore you MUST have seen the film On Any Sunday which shows Steve McQueen doing the "local" race as well as lotsa other good offroad stuff!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067527/
Gizzaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzaride View Post
Coming from Elsinore you MUST have seen the film On Any Sunday which shows Steve McQueen doing the "local" race as well as lotsa other good offroad stuff!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067527/
When I was a kid, we used to watch the race every year. We always threatened to enter it but bikes were broke, we were broke, and not to mention just flakey teenagers. Lol that's where I learned to ride in the hills where the long part of the track was. Thanks for the reminder. I think that's what the girl and I will do tonight. She's never seen "on any Sunday"

Ps, Malcolm Smith still has an awesome motorcycle dealer in riverside. Has a couple 100 vintage race bikes up there. Like his personal museum.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #26
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,243
if range is a problem I woner if the big MR250 tank would fit ?? and looks pretty sweet

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #27
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
if range is a problem I woner if the big MR250 tank would fit ?? and looks pretty sweet

I'm pretty sure it would. It's funny what honda leaves the same through the years.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Well guys, parts are trickling in. I got a CR250m cylinder from a 75 and matching head. I didn't like the fins on the 75 head so I found 2 different 74 heads so I got them both. This will let me mess with combustion chamber cc's and squish angles. Ill practice on the 75 head first.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #29
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 529
The best performance mod I did back in the day with my MT250 was removing the top off the air box. They don't breath because the airbox is so tight. Transformed the bike.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 373
I have an MR250 pipe in my basement! I'd sell it cheap.

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote