Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #76
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
An extra month of healing won't be a bad thing, now hopefully there isn't a conflicting SORCS race that Sunday on the other side of GA and I'll be good to go!
HP or 450?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #77
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
HP or 450?
I haven't ruled out the HP2, but I had so stinking much fun on the G450X last year and the feeling of blowing by an HP2 on an uphill straight was probably highlight from SB'12

This year I will definitely have a GoPro on board!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #78
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The top 5 bikes are probably running in the 60 mph average ball park...this means you are going 100 mph whenever you can. Newer competitors are in the 40 mph average speed.
Yup, top 5 guys are averaging 55-65. Fast in the straights, and reasonable caution in the corners.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #79
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

I'm looking forward to being on a little bike again, wrestling the 950 at those speeds was a challenge for me. I'm hoping my corner speeds come up a tick
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #80
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Anders, to get new number decals, what do I need to do?
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #81
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Tell you what: if you go out and drink some fine, high quality beer this weekend, and with said beer, propose an eloquent toast to NASA Rally Sport and RallyMoto, I'll make sure that there are shiny fresh vinyl numbers for you at registration.

So that's all you need to do.

Anders
Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #82
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Would this fine, eloquent toast need to be published in this particular thread? And can it be in the form of a Dr. Seuss type poem?
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #83
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Published in this thread.... with video evidence!

Anders
Old 10-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #84
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Rally Range

I won a gift certificate for a free Clarke gas tank at a recent dual sport ride raffle. If anybody is looking for some extra rally range check out the flea market and I'll make a special deal for NASA Rally Sport racers. Shoot me a PM.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #85
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
bike choice

I have a few bikes which I have negleted for a while (too many bikes in the stable), but have the urge to convert my 2004 Honda CRF250R into a full Dakar wanna-be rally bike. It is legally taged with street registeration and insurance. Currently the bikes runs perfect with a big bore kit, a heavy flywheel, headligh/brake light but I still am going to tear it down to bare frame and rebuild into a rally bike with all the extra fuel tanks and cool rally fairings. And I want to try some nasa rallymoto events with this bike in the Lite class.

Are these rallies geared more towards bigger bikes like 600+cc, or can a 250 be failry competative in the lites class?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #86
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,063
I was looking for this thread a couple months back, guess I jumped the gun. I was going to spectate last year but ended up spending the weekend with a 101+ fever instead. Might run it on the DRZ or spectate on the Super T. I'll have a better idea after New Years.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #87
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
I have a few bikes which I have negleted for a while (too many bikes in the stable), but have the urge to convert my 2004 Honda CRF250R into a full Dakar wanna-be rally bike. It is legally taged with street registeration and insurance. Currently the bikes runs perfect with a big bore kit, a heavy flywheel, headligh/brake light but I still am going to tear it down to bare frame and rebuild into a rally bike with all the extra fuel tanks and cool rally fairings. And I want to try some nasa rallymoto events with this bike in the Lite class.

Are these rallies geared more towards bigger bikes like 600+cc, or can a 250 be failry competative in the lites class?
A well piloted liquid cooled 250cc will be competitive in the lites class, however you'll not need more then 3 gallons and adding a bunch of weight will not be advantageous in the least for competition use. The NASA Rallymoto is more of a street legal enduro as far as navigation or bike set-up is concerned. Carrying tools and a bunch of gas is only going to be a penalty 95% of the time/instances.

The biggest problem with a 250cc based engine for Sandblast is that you'll have 10 mile stretches at full throttle/high rpm's and can be very taxing to the 250cc bikes.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #88
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 248
The Hammer Run this weekend will help me decide which bike to bring. The 250 got stuck in the shop (I thought they would take less time on fork seals than me, who knew?) so I'll be on the 650. We'll see how it goes...

-Dawn
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #89
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,806
So if I decide to show up with my 990 and run Adventure Heavy:

Anything required other than showing up with money, gear, that safety cross, first aid kit, and a DOT legal bike? I read the moto rules but the big GRR rules reminds me too much of my day job.

Do I need to find a roll chart or load the route in my GPS? Are there course arrows? I know the website said I probably won't have time to look down but don't want to make a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

I'm assuming that Adventure Heavy will probably start DFL so the course will probably be very easy to follow.

Is the sand stupidly deep? I don't really feel like fighting my 500 pound monster all day instead of enjoying the race. If my bike will sink with sand over the rim then I might be bringing my 690...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #90
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
So if I decide to show up with my 990 and run Adventure Heavy:

Anything required other than showing up with money, gear, that safety cross, first aid kit, and a DOT legal bike? I read the moto rules but the big GRR rules reminds me too much of my day job.

Do I need to find a roll chart or load the route in my GPS? Are there course arrows? I know the website said I probably won't have time to look down but don't want to make a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

I'm assuming that Adventure Heavy will probably start DFL so the course will probably be very easy to follow.

Is the sand stupidly deep? I don't really feel like fighting my 500 pound monster all day instead of enjoying the race. If my bike will sink with sand over the rim then I might be bringing my 690...
A simple roll chart holder, enduro style is all you need. The transits at SB are really easy, leave the GPS in the truck so you don't loose it. A few years ago, a competitor was riding the wrong way on the course at night because he lost his GPS....Of course I was the one that got to chew his ass stage side

I've ridden my 950 at Sandblast twice and at Black river once, it was good fun. The sand is deep in spots but mostly in the tighter corners. The weather conditions play a huge role in how bad the ruts are. This is me from last year on the SE....had a blast!