ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Uvas, Holister, CA 25, La Gloria, Carmel Valley, CA 9 loop

I needed to "get away" so I took a 275 mile loop today from San Jose to Holister, La Gloria Road to 101, then Arroyo Seco to Carmel Valley Road, up to Santa Cruz, Highway 9, and back to Silicon Valley.
Here's a Google Earth pix

A short summary:

CA 85 then down Santa Teresa (avoid 101)
Uvas Road - pleasant as usual
CA 25 to coffee in Holister (Mars Hill coffeehouse; try their signature cookie)
Continue CA 25 (along the San Andreas fault) to La Gloria Road west to Gonzales on 101 (11 miles recently graded dirt, then 7 miles paved).
Took River Road south (avoid 101) through lovely farmland.
Then Arroyo Seco (dramatic) to Carmel Valley Road (twisty).
I did not have time to take Cachagua Road, which I am told is paved but narrow.

Took Laureles Grade road north out of Carmel Valley; it is steep up and down, but wide.
Then I wove around through the farmland between Salinas and the coast. Lots of fields being picked. The smell of strawberries was incredibly strong. New plowing and irrigating. It is worth seeing what goes on down there and where so much of our vegetables come from.

Elkhorn Slough was a pleasant surprise; I was just staying away from highways, but there were egrets and grey herons and a nice winding road. Then more farmland.
Got on CA 1 just before Watsonville, but exited soon on Larkin Valley Road - another nice surprise small 2-lane road winding through and up and down the valley.

Back on CA 1 to just past CA 17 where I got on CA 9 north through Felton and Boulder Creek. It was now late afternoon and almost all the traffic was coming the other way. Lovely road through the redwoods. Great taking the twisties up hill.
When I hit CA 35 Skyline I could have continued on down CA 9 to Saratoga, but instead I went north 6 miles to Page Mill road, then back down to the valley.

I recommend any pieces of this trip.
I left between 9 and 10 a.m. and got back between 5 and 6 p.m. (did not rush).
What traffic I encountered was mostly going in the other direction (except the 5 mile stretch from Larken Valley Road to Highway 9.
The gpx track is here.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 12:01 AM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I would have taken the day off if I only knew someone was going to go for such a ride!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Yep, the Carmel Valley loop is fun for me too. I live in the south bay area.

To get to Uvias I like to take Hicks road, it’s a fun road. Take the second Camden Ave turnoff on Hwy 85 heading east, turn left on Camden for about a mile, Hicks is on your right.

Off of Carmel Valley is Cahauga Rd., it parallels Carmel Valley for several miles and is very fun. Tight, rough , twisty and usually no traffic
Heading west on Carmel Valley road, turn left at Tassajara Rd then the first right is Cahauga.

Coming back I like to get to Summit, Hwy 35 via Eureka Canyon out of Corralitos

All fun back roads
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 09:40 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
ScmbIker
Scmb

Oddometer: 23
These are all fun rides I live just off of summit and ride loma preata and mt madonna dirt and paved all fun!
ScmbIker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScmbIker View Post
These are all fun rides I live just off of summit and ride loma preata and mt madonna dirt and paved all fun!
Oh Yeah
Untill I'm ready
Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Thanks for your comments!
-ceej
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Yep, the Carmel Valley loop is fun for me too. I live in the south bay area.

To get to Uvias I like to take Hicks road, it’s a fun road. Take the second Camden Ave turnoff on Hwy 85 heading east, turn left on Camden for about a mile, Hicks is on your right.
Yeah, goes on the west side of the reservoir and Quicksilver county park; how do you eventually connect to McKean/Uvas?

Off of Carmel Valley is Cahauga Rd., it parallels Carmel Valley for several miles and is very fun. Tight, rough , twisty and usually no traffic
Heading west on Carmel Valley road, turn left at Tassajara Rd then the first right is Cahauga.
Cahauga was on my route, but it was getting late and I did not want to be on an unknown, possibly 1-lane road at that point.

Coming back I like to get to Summit, Hwy 35 via Eureka Canyon out of Corralitos
Ah, I did not know about that; is it paved or dirt? I was going to take the Soquel San Jose road up to Summit, but then I'd be faced with the narrow blind twisty part of 35 just north of Summit (or take 17) so I passed and took CA 9 for the same reason as above.
I did like Larkin Valley.

All fun back roads
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
I needed to "get away" so I took a 275 mile loop today from San Jose to Holister, La Gloria Road to 101, then Arroyo Seco to Carmel Valley Road, up to Santa Cruz, Highway 9, and back to Silicon Valley.
My Mom used to live in Carmel Valley, so I've done all of those roads in various combinations. Great ride!
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
Yeah, goes on the west side of the reservoir and Quicksilver county park; how do you eventually connect to McKean/Uvas?j
There is really only two ways can go on Hicks from Camden, everything else is a dead end. They are clearly marked
You can take Shannon Rd, a mile or so west of Camden & Hicks. It goes to the town of Los Gatos and is a fun road
If you follow Hicks to its end it eventually turns into Almaden RD which crosses McKean
When you get on Hicks route too 19867 McKean, this will put you on McKean headed towards Uvas

Eureka Canyon/ Highland is a very fun, narrow, rough, twisty paved road. It is the kind of road I prefer.
There are two easy dirt roads in the area, both parallel Eureka Canyon.
Buzzards Lagoon or a section of Summit.
Untill I'm ready