Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #166
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
I've been doing a review of the Adventure Rally over the past week. Just put up a bunch of detail pictures, etc. LINK if you want to check it out.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #167
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

If there is anyone in Southern California with a size LARGE AR2, I would be really interested in meeting up and comparing fit.

Anyone?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #168
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Just got mine today, JUST what I was looking for. Looking forward to shredding in it at the March Moto Madness in TN!! I'd go out now but with 2' of snow on the ground, that's not happening.

Brian, I'll give you a shout tomorrow and give you some feedback on the sizing. Mine fits me perfect so I can give you some feedback for future customers. Thanks again for the outstanding service!!

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #169
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,757
Here's a news release for the new ADV Air... From KLIM sponsored Mike Johnson.

Adventure Rally Air - The Ultimate Dakar Rally Jacket

It has literally taken years for me to test different gear to arrive at the best combination for me that I could ride for hours with maximum safety and comfort.

For the 2014 Dakar I had planned on using an Under Armour compression shirt, Zero 7 chest protector, Fox elbow pads and an Alpinestars jacket with a CamelBack on the outside.

A couple of months before my departure to Dakar Ned Suesse(2012 Dakar Vet) recommended Klim gear and put me in contact with the guys at Klim. They hooked me up with their new Adventure Rally Air Jacket, Gore-Tex Overshell and Adventure Rally Pants(Adventure Air pants weren't available yet). Both the Jacket and shell are neck brace compatible.

The Rally Air is a version of their Rally Jacket that is made of a Kevlar open weave fabric that allows for maximum air flow while providing excellent tear and abrasion resistance. The Gore-Tex Overshell is a waterproof shell that can be added when the weather gets cold or wet. The Klim Rally jacket concept is that everything is contained in the jacket and supported by an internal harness similar to a backpack.

The Rally Air Jacket has integral shoulder, elbow back and chest protection. It has several pockets and an integral hydration pack and large tool pocket. At first the system feels heavy but considering that everything is in the jacket, I am sure that it doesn't weigh any more than the individual gear that I normally wear.

I received the Jacket just before I was to leave for the Baja 1000 so I took it with me to run through the rigors of Baja pre-running. When I loaded all of my tools, water bladder, snacks and other things it did fell heavy but after I got the jacket on I felt very safe, secure and comfortable. I wore the jacket for all of my pre-running and it worked so well that I used it in the race as well.

After successful testing of the Rally Air at the Baja 1000 the decision was easy to go with it for the 2014 Dakar.

For the Dakar the All-In-One concept is a great advantage. At the Dakar It is crazy trying to keep everything together and there is so little to get ready in the morning. Having everything in one place is great - you just put your jacket on and you have everything you need.

One great feature of the Rally Air jacket is the top quality double zippers that allow the jacket to be zipped from the bottom up for temperature regulation. With temperatures topping out a 116 F even the open weave of the Rally Air was not enough cooling. At times I would run the lower zipper all the way up and then as I got into cooler weather I could easily lower the zipper while riding. On the cold days I added the outer shell and when I got into warmer weather I would raise the lower zipper on the outer shell as well . Overall I couldn't imagine a better choice for an Adventure Jacket.

Klim also set me up with a pair of their Adventure Rally Pants. I always get my riding pants one size larger so that they are not tight and there is plenty of room for my knee braces. This is not so with the Klim pants. They are true to size and have plenty of room for knee braces. Consequently when I requested oversize pants from Klim I was swimming in them and had to have them send me a pair that were my actual size. This meant no time to test the pants prior to Dakar.

I brought the pants with me but wasn't sure if I would use them without testing. The first two stages I used my normal pants. On day 3 I decided to try the Klim pants and they worked so well I used them the rest of the Dakar . They are the most comfortable pants I have worn and they have zippers running the entire length of the thighs that can be opened for temperature regulation. The flaps from the zippers act as air scoops when the zippers are open. A typical day in Dakar starts in the morning at 35-45F and within a few hours raises to 90-116F so temperature regulation is very important. The pockets on the thighs are also a big plus.

My sincere thanks go out to Klim for their support.

Mike Johnson #92
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #170
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Sharp-eyed BOMBER M. Harness just sent a link to some additional info that popped up on the web. Lyndon Poskitt is a UK based racer competing in the Dakar. He is sponsored by Klim, and also Klim's UK importer, Adventure Spec. Adventure Spec actually created the first version of the Adventure Rally jacket, before eventually handing it off to Klim to commercialize.

Still following?

That combination seems to have given racer Poskitt the proverbial inside line on the Adventure Rally 2.....he actually HAS ONE.....in blue!!!

Here are a few of his comments:

Some of the key features are:
  • Full CE approved armour including chest so that I didn’t have to wear a pressure suit or armour underneath. I can just remove the jacket when I stop and throw it on when it’s time to go, perfect.
  • 3 litre bladder capablility for hydration.
  • Good ventilation including upper and lower sleeve vents, chest vents and rear exhausts.
  • Plenty of pockets for my documents and food etc.
  • The tried, tested and loved Klim internal harness system that helps distribute the weight of a loaded jacket comfortably.
  • Tough material on high impact areas (not that I intend using these).
  • Three different collar option, removable for use with Leatte, Leatte collar for adverse weather and regular jacket collar – all interchangeable.
  • The most impressive part of this jacket is the cut and fit of the jacket, is really is nice and we now see straps on the elbows to prevent armour rotation.
  • Multiple super reflective panels to keep me safe on those early morning starts.
  • I’m sure I’ve missed something but let me say this jacket has all the features expected of a tough, hard wearing jacket suitable for all conditions because as before, it uses GoreTex technology.
The thing looks great in color. Also, any questions about venting between the Badlands and the ADV Rally have been answered: the ADVR-2 allows removal of the entire collar area - absolutely the best vent possible.

A link to Poskitt's blog is here.

BP
OK Folks, this is for the serious guys only! Who wants a Blue one?

I am shamelessly selling a Brand New unused Blue Adventure Rally 2 jacket in size 'Large', exactly as you see it in the pictures above.....and before you all kick me, here is the reason why.

1) Klim made me two, one of which has done the 2013 Dakar Rally, Merzouga Rally 2014, a ton of other rallies (UK and overseas) and thousands of miles of adventure riding from hot to cold, dry to wet and I just cannot wear it out! No holes, no tears and it's definitely been crashed. It's been tested for sure and I just remove the armour, stick it in the washing machine with some Gore treatments and she's good as new. Longest lasting jacket I've had and it does everything I want and it is a credit to Klim that I feel the second jacket will be surplus.

2) I desperately need the funds to put my 2014/2015 plans into action.

It's not going in the Flea Market due to Flea Market rules. It is the only blue one out there other than my personal one. It is identical to an Adventure Rally 2 with the exception of lighter weight material (the blue bits) and it has embroidery as you see in the pictures. It's brand new, unused and comes with both collars, Leatte and comfort. Contrary to some comments on here, my jackets are full Gore-Tex like the production ones.

I am going to a Rally in Norway next month where I will be thankful of my Rally 2!

Initial post is here: http://www.lyndonposkittracing.com/2...ves-for-dakar/

Open to offers over and above list price. I know I've probably broken every rule in the ADV Rider book here but what the heck, it's in the right thread and it's the only chance to own one of these. I will sell it to the highest bidder through PM.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the jacket in some pretty testing conditions....

And one of the best moments of my life, regardless of the fact that that medal cost me over $100,000 and years of hard work.

My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 11:35 AM
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #171
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Go Pyndon Go!

Let me know when you start your next SAWG-fest.
I'll be sure to join your merry band of cheerleaders!

And guys... someone should buy Pyndon's jacket.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #172
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Hey Pyn,

Errr, wot size is it mate?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #173
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
PYNDON!!!

Yea, what size?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 02-23-2014 at 08:39 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #174
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

It's my size guys

It's an 'L' for Large And it definitely brings more horsepower and speed
My KTM 950 Story
Old 02-24-2014, 12:28 AM   #175
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
And it definitely brings more horsepower and speed
And evidently brings more ladies as well

IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #176
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
And evidently brings more ladies as well :loll
That's only the blue one, how I even managed to look at the camera I don't know, my head kept dropping down for some reason, I blame it on the tiredness
My KTM 950 Story
Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #177
Forzato
baboodee

Oddometer: 74
My initial impressions of the pants and jacket

I wanted to give my personal experience with the new Klim Adventure Rally jacket and pants. Many folks have been waiting months for this highly anticipated new and improved version. Let me tell you upfront that I have only worn it indoors for 16 hours or so. Much of that time I was also wearing Sidi Adventure boots or Sidi Crossfire boots, an Arai Signet helmet, and the Leatt STX brace and then (out of necessity) the Leatt GTX brace. My wife has relished the chance to tease me. What follows is really just an initial impressions type of review. Please keep that in mind when you read what follows. I am keeping the Klim set, but it took quite some time and deliberation to justify that decision. When paying nearly $2,500 for a jacket and pants I expect a very good product. There are definite flaws and limitations, but overall the Klim looks like a good piece of protective clothing.

The supremely high price of the Adventure Rally 2 must in part come from the many many components used to make the finished product. In total I'd guess that there must be several hundred panels, little bits of cloth, velcro, zippers, etc. Some will like this, personally I'd like a little more simplicity (ie less pockets), but this is a minor point. When I took the time to really examine the jacket and pants inside and out it the sheer complexity of it all is quite impressive. Seems like a real feat to have managed all these bits into one functioning set of clothes.

The fit and finish is very good overall. In the pant I received one of the velcro strips used to hold the knee pad pocket closed has stitches that are failing. As long as this doesn't become a trend I have no problem with a poor stitch or two. Nobody's perfect.

The design of the Klim Adventure Rally pant/jacket looks and feels like it will offer good protection to both crashes and to the elements. The jacket and pants are heavy, which I like, since it suggests a durable and protective design. The armor is thick and resilient - at least the armor ('D30') in the back, shoulders, elbows, knees, and hips. The waffle-type ('deflexion') armor in the chest and thighs really must offer great airflow, but I wonder what it will really do for impact protection since it is so thin and soft. A minor quibble is that the edges of the D30 armor are cracking and falling off on some of my pads (as shown below).

Because the Klim deflexion chest protector is so thin (and limited in adjustment) I tried the Forcefield chest protector lite as additional armor. The version I have is only for the chest - no back armor. It fits within the Adventure Rally jacket quite well and seems like it must quadruple the protection compared to the deflexion the Klim comes with. No doubt the Forcefield chest protector will curtail airflow significantly.

One of the first things that I saw when I opened the jacket and pants for the first time was the glaring 'Made in China' tags. For the price of the Klim I would feel a little better if the country of origin was closer to home. I understand this would raise the price substantially, and I knew where it was made when I ordered it, but I felt a wee bit less excited about the Klim when I actually saw these tags.

The Adventure Rally has lots of means to adjust fit. Some of them have a meaningful range of adjustment. Let me state that I am about as average as average can be. Height of 5' 10", weight of 170 lbs, 34" waist, 30" inseam, 40" chest... nothing unusual in any way. The Klim jacket I purchased is size Medium, pants size 34. Some of the velcro straps used to adjust the Klim have virtually zero range of adjustment. This is an unacceptable flaw in my opinion for one of the most expensive set of riding gear available. The arm straps around the bicep and forearm really afford no appreciable adjustment (about 1 inch +/-). The velcro is just too short for any meaningful range of adjustment, so the arms of the jacket are very loose on me. Same for the velcro that secures the orange deflexion chest protector. Without the additional Forcefield chest protector the deflexion is quite loose even when adjusted to the smallest size. When I wear the Forcefield under the jacket the Klim deflexion chest protector fits. Note the short velcro on the arm straps and orange deflexion chest protector below...

The velcro waist straps on the jacket however do have a good range of adjustment. So does the kidney belt and wrist straps on the jacket. If your particular physique matches the range of the velcro straps closely then you may have no issue with the narrow adjustment range of some of the velcro adjusters. In the photo above the long velcro sections on the kidney belt are apparent. Notice, below, the long velcro of the waist strap.

There are two collars included with the jacket. One of them is 'Leatt compatible'. I was disappointed to find that my Leatt STX would not fit. This particular Leatt is simply incompatible with the Klim. The double scapula blades of the STX will not allow the Klim to fit while using the collar intended for the Leatt brace. A new Leatt GTX lite brace solved the problem. The GTX brace fits the jacket well, but I find the GTX is much more limiting in movement of the helmet. It takes some contortions to get the jacket with Leatt collar over the GTX Leatt brace. Donning the complete Klim Adventure Rally suit takes some time, to say the least.

The pants have a very short zipper at the fly area which make the pants a bit more challenging to put on. The reason for the short zipper seems to be to improve water resistance since there is a gusset that resides behind the zipper. Fair enough. I tried both a size 32 and a a size 34. The size 32 pant was too tight. Part of the reason I tried the size 32 pant was to attempt to relocate the knee pads upward so they would rest on my knees correctly.

This is really the most significant issue I am having with the Klim Adventure Rally - getting the knee pads to position over my knees properly. For me, when I stand the top edge of the knee pads land just under my knee caps. This offers no protection for my knees if I crash with my legs extended. If I kneel on the ground the cup of the knee pad lands on my knee just as it should. There is a lot of movement between the liner (which is what has the pocket that holds the knee armor) and the shell so if the knee pad could be raised an inch or so I would be content. Revzilla (which I otherwise have no problem with) indicates on their video review of the pants that the knee pads are "..adjustable 3 inches up and down, and one inch side to side..." Fast forward to the 3:00 minute mark on the video to hear this.

I have called both Klim and Revzilla and they both told me to use the velcro in the pad pockets. But then, ultimately, they admitted that there is no adjustment of any of the pads within their retaining pockets. None at all. Clearly, the intention was to allow adjustment (maybe instead the intention was to swap out different size pads). See in the photo below the three strips of velcro that are sewn to the mesh pocket that holds the armor pad in position. There is no velcro on the pads themselves. The idea, as indicated by both Klim and Revzilla, is that the wearer opens a velcro on one side and closed a velcro on the opposite side and then the pad is supposed to be shifted and relocated to fit the wearer better. The truth is that this system of pad-within-pocket relocation does not work at all.

Here is the reason it does not work: As shown in the photo below of the hip pad there is zero clearance for the armor pad to move. The knee pad/pocket suffers from the opposite issue - there is so much room that all the velcros in the pocket close and the pad is not relocated as a result. I had to push the customer service reps at both Revzilla and Klim to go and get an actual pair of pants and try to replicate the problem. Finally, they both admitted that nothing could be done to reposition the pads within the pockets. Again, if your physique mates with the jacket/pants as they come then you won't have a problem. But customizing the pads that reside in pockets (hip, knee, shoulder, elbow) is not going to happen. If you are willing to bring it to a tailor or if you are handy with a needle and thread, then there is a possibility of relocating the armor pads. Klim told me they would not alter the knee armor pocket (at any price). Klim and Revzilla both warned of the potential of voiding the warranty when sewing/altering.

[EDIT: In hindsight, and after further reflection, I suspect that the intention of the velcro inside the armor pad pockets is solely for swapping between bigger and smaller pads. The fact that both Revzilla and Klim representatives are marketing these velcro strips as a means to adjust pad position is unfortunate, confusing (besides being a poor business practice). There were no instructions or directions included with either the pants or jacket. On clothing this complicated perhaps a simple guide for use and fitment would be appropriate.]

Inside the pants thigh vent (just above the knee) there is a ~3 inch long fabric strap that connects the outer shell to inner liner. This strap is on each leg and is accessed through the thigh vent. At first I thought I could relocate the knee pad armor with a well placed stitch on this strap (to shorten the strap and pull up the knee armor). Upon looking closer I don't think this will work as well as placing a few stitches on the bottom edge of the knee pad pocket. It looks like the knee pad armor can be raised about 3/4" or so by this method. The armor pad pocket for the knee is entirely mesh, so there should be no concern of violating the GoreTex shell. If no one pipes up with a better idea I will try this knee pad pocket alteration in a few weeks and report back with the results.

The optional suspenders for the pants are a necessity for me. The pants are low cut - the distance between the groin and waist is short. Great for looking hip in jeans, not so great otherwise. If you have no hips (like me) the suspenders keep the pants from forever sliding down. Another reason for the suspenders is to help keep the knee pads higher on my knees. It would be nice to include these $25 suspenders with the $900 pants, but alas this is not the case. The interface between pants and suspender is sturdy, comfortable, and has a wide range of adjustment (though it may be insufficient for riders under 5' 9" tall). It is elastic, and does help hold up the pants for me as much as I need.

In summary, I am keeping the newest version of the Klim Adventure Rally jacket and pants. The suit is not without its flaws, but looks to be a robust piece of protection for impact, abrasion, and weather. It is comfortable. I don't need so many pockets. Sleeve length was correct for me, and the moderate stiffness of the suit was not an issue for me. The ability to change or remove collars looks like a useful feature. I was not bothered by the collars themselves. The collar for Leatt braces is not compatible with all neck braces. For me, the Klim pants can be worn with or without long underwear and jeans underneath. The Klim jacket affords me enough room for long underwear, a long sleeve shirt, and a polar fleece. It should work as a four-season suit. The full length jacket-to-pants zipper is a good feature. I wish there was more adjustment in the arm straps. Also, I wish the armor pads had a viable means to adjust their position. Is the Adventure Rally 2 worth the price of admission?... this is harder for me to say. I am undecided until I am able to put the suit through its paces.

Forzato screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 06:03 AM
Forzato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #178
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzato View Post

The fit and finish is very good overall. In the pant I received one of the velcro strips used to hold the knee pad pocket closed has stitches that are failing. As long as this doesn't become a trend I have no problem with a poor stitch or two. Nobody's perfect.

That's a pretty generous position you are taking. For the money (and even much less) there should be no issues like that in an unused suit. It's as simple as that.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #179
Forzato
baboodee

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
That's a pretty generous position you are taking. For the money (and even much less) there should be no issues like that in an unused suit. It's as simple as that.
That is a fair point. My wild guess is that there must be more than 10,000 stitches on the suit. One or two bad stitches is a pretty low failure rate. Perhaps I'm just trying to rationalize the cost...

[EDIT: The more I look at the suit, the more I think I was light in my estimate of how many stitches the suit has. It is staggering how many seams there are. They appear to be small (stronger, but slower to produce) stitches too. I hope they hold up.]

Forzato screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 12:41 PM
Forzato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #180
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Good review Forzato. I know you've seen my review thread too.

I'm sticking with my Badlands pants since the Adventures didn't seem to offer a substantial enough upgrade.

The biggest issue I have with the jacket is the sleeve length, they just seem too long. I have long arms, with a 6'5" span, and the XL sleeves seem too long to me by about 1 1/2". I'm hoping that as the jacket breaks in, they'll "sit" better and not be too long.

You really need to get out and ride in your gear. The you'll get an idea of how well this stuff works.