User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #31
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Nice!!

Sharp-eyed BOMBER M. Harness just sent a link to some additional info that popped up on the web. Lyndon Poskitt is a UK based racer competing in the Dakar. He is sponsored by Klim, and also Klim's UK importer, Adventure Spec. Adventure Spec actually created the first version of the Adventure Rally jacket, before eventually handing it off to Klim to commercialize.

Still following?

That combination seems to have given racer Poskitt the proverbial inside line on the Adventure Rally 2.....he actually HAS ONE.....in blue!!!

Here are a few of his comments:

Some of the key features are:
  • Full CE approved armour including chest so that I didn’t have to wear a pressure suit or armour underneath. I can just remove the jacket when I stop and throw it on when it’s time to go, perfect.
  • 3 litre bladder capablility for hydration.
  • Good ventilation including upper and lower sleeve vents, chest vents and rear exhausts.
  • Plenty of pockets for my documents and food etc.
  • The tried, tested and loved Klim internal harness system that helps distribute the weight of a loaded jacket comfortably.
  • Tough material on high impact areas (not that I intend using these).
  • Three different collar option, removable for use with Leatte, Leatte collar for adverse weather and regular jacket collar – all interchangeable.
  • The most impressive part of this jacket is the cut and fit of the jacket, is really is nice and we now see straps on the elbows to prevent armour rotation.
  • Multiple super reflective panels to keep me safe on those early morning starts.
  • I’m sure I’ve missed something but let me say this jacket has all the features expected of a tough, hard wearing jacket suitable for all conditions because as before, it uses GoreTex technology.
The thing looks great in color. Also, any questions about venting between the Badlands and the ADV Rally have been answered: the ADVR-2 allows removal of the entire collar area - absolutely the best vent possible.

A link to Poskitt's blog is here.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 09:50 PM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #32
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Wow! Very nice in blue. Can we get blue or is that Dakar rider only colors?

On the Adventure Rally Air line, are there Adventure Rally Air Pants too?

Looking forward to trying out the newest Adventure suits from Klim!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #33
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Wow! Very nice in blue. Can we get blue or is that Dakar rider only colors?

On the Adventure Rally Air line, are there Adventure Rally Air Pants too?

Looking forward to trying out the newest Adventure suits from Klim!
Blue will only be available for aliens (Dakar competitors). It is probably NOT same construction as the production version. Waterproof-ness not really needed for Dakar. Looks to use Klim Dakar pant fabric, IMO.

Adventure Air pants are coming also....will post them later.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #34
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Blue will only be available for aliens (Dakar competitors). It is probably NOT same construction as the production version. Waterproof-ness not really needed for Dakar. Looks to use Klim Dakar pant fabric, IMO.

BP
This is the type of jacket they Need to Make!!!!
in Colors and Fabric to match the Dakar Pants !!!!!
Not so heavy and have it in the $400 price range
No Gortex Make it for cool to HOT riding!!!

Black is BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baja Dad screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:52 AM
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,874
sorry but no matter how much one charges for a suit ... cannot change laws of physics.

multilayer goretex suits are HOT! there's no two ways about it. don't know about you, but anything over 80f is uncomfortable to me for a full goretex suit. sure if one keeps moving with wet vest it's tolerable to higher temps. whereas mesh kevlar suits would be comfortable in above conditions with no fuss.

kevlar mesh suits work best in hot weather but suck in cold. despite claims of being all weather with goretex inside liner. when camping in cold weather, NO one likes having a soaking wet outer layer while insides are dry. then if using heated gear with mesh kevlar jacket, add much fuss dealing with extra layers and wires all over.

conclusion is one needs two suits for extreme temperature swings. my solution is motoport mesh kevlar for hot conditions. then one piece Roadcrafter with heated suit for nasty conditions. cleanest solution dealing with heated suit wiring.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Here you go:

BP
Even includes APS thigh pads. Nice
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #37
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
This stuff looks nice, but I sure wish they would make more pants with belts.
I also prefer an in boot pant.

Cheers
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
This stuff looks nice, but I sure wish they would make more pants with belts.
I also prefer an in boot pant.

Cheers
Belts get in the way for true off-road riding
If you wear any kind of tool bag around your waist
It would be nice to have the option to unzip over the boot style to make them into in the boot pants
Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #39
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,991
Belts suck when biking. If your pants fall down wear suspenders
Old 11-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #40
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Belts suck when biking. If your pants fall down wear suspenders
^ this

Great invention for dirt types of the earlier generations...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #41
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,991
Hey, who you calling old??

Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #42
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Howdy - I am interested in Klim gear because both my sons wear it top to bottom in their events. However, I'm not sure they make what I want.

I want one pant/jacket that is waterproof without add-on Gortex liners. I don't mind wearing separate armor. I ride all over the continent and have never escaped periods of serious weather. I use a heated jacket liner and can add a fleece layer if needed.

Also, I ride the deserts in summer. I use the same gear, and that is because I am just passing through.

I have a First Gear TPG pant/jacket combo out west. It is certainly waterproof, but a little heavy. However, it has some very nice venting capability that I use and appreciate in the deserts.

I also have an Acerbis Klima suit, which is my favorite. It is more of an enduro suit, and pretty much just a heavy duty waterproof shell. But it isn't very waterproof anymore after some ten years. I want to replace it.

Does Klima have something for me, or should I just go mainstream like First Gear?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #43
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Howdy - I am interested in Klim gear because both my sons wear it top to bottom in their events. However, I'm not sure they make what I want.

I want one pant/jacket that is waterproof without add-on Gortex liners. I don't mind wearing separate armor. I ride all over the continent and have never escaped periods of serious weather. I use a heated jacket liner and can add a fleece layer if needed.

Also, I ride the deserts in summer. I use the same gear, and that is because I am just passing through.

I have a First Gear TPG pant/jacket combo out west. It is certainly waterproof, but a little heavy. However, it has some very nice venting capability that I use and appreciate in the deserts.

I also have an Acerbis Klima suit, which is my favorite. It is more of an enduro suit, and pretty much just a heavy duty waterproof shell. But it isn't very waterproof anymore after some ten years. I want to replace it.

Does Klima have something for me, or should I just go mainstream like First Gear?
I do not think you should look to Firstgear yet. I like FG stuff quite a bit. But frankly, even though Klim is a good chunk more expensive, it performs quite a bit better. Despite its cost, we feel dollar for dollar it is a better value.

I understand your explanation, and checked out your bikes in your profile. Based on these, I think either the ADV Rally, the Latitude, or the Traverse would work well. Obviously they are vastly different price points, but each has merit at its MSRP. The Traverse is an off road shell, basically your Acerbis but made in GoreTex. The Latitude is a nice, lightweight ADV suit, good for moderate dirt or moderate temps. The ADVR-2 is a full-on ADV suit, with armor, more abrasion resistance, features, etc etc.

The ADV Air, with the waterproof shell would work also.

The trickiest part is the fact that your riding envelope is very wide. It is possible to get gear that works broadly, but there is usually some compromise. I think I can give some more specific suggestions after a short phone conversation, if you want PM me your # and we can address this.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #44
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,613
Any word on availability of the Rally 2 jacket?

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #45
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Any word on availability of the Rally 2 jacket?
Yes...Klim has it in the same schedule as previous Adventure Rallys: preorders through the fall / early winter, delivery late January / February. There were guys sneaking around the KTM Rally here in Bend in finished prototypes, which was back in September. That is a good indication they are on schedule.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR