User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Canadian BMW parts prices

You know how the rant goes; we take it up the ass at the dealer for parts, but with the dollar the way it is, what gives.

Looking at a part today. $130 from a local dealer, MaxBMW wants $90 for the same part.

I'm all for supporting the local guy, but thats almost 50% more. Where do you Canadians get your parts from?
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Of course I shop local,,,,if the price is within 20%. After that all bets are off. I just checked locally with Touratech Canada on some stuff, ended up buying from Seattle as it was cheaper even after paying WA state tax and BC tax at the border. Didn't even have to speak french either.

This is a major pissing point for me. I think the local shops know it too, there's nothing they can do, it's always up to the importer to set prices.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
You know how the rant goes; we take it up the ass at the dealer for parts, but with the dollar the way it is, what gives.

Looking at a part today. $130 from a local dealer, MaxBMW wants $90 for the same part.

I'm all for supporting the local guy, but thats almost 50% more. Where do you Canadians get your parts from?

MaxBMW has been my source for a few years now........they have a very fast and efficient web service and if you have to call they are very helpful. From my experience they are a model dealership.

My local dealership does not even stock air filters........they have to order them for me? I can do the same only much cheaper through MaxBMW.......why would I use the local dealer who is 4 hrs away from me when I can get what I need shipped to my door for less $?

J
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
I'll go against the grain here and say that I buy almost all of my parts locally. I used to see the big price difference and buy my parts from MAX - the $25 internal shipping charge was more than made up for by the savings. Things changed locally around 3 or 4 years ago and the pricing here is pretty close to what I see down there. It was a pleasant surprise when I discovered this and the BMW wharehouse in Richmond B.C. seems to have a lot of stock on hand.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I'll go against the grain here and say that I buy almost all of my parts locally. I used to see the big price difference and buy my parts from MAX - the $25 internal shipping charge was more than made up for by the savings. Things changed locally around 3 or 4 years ago and the pricing here is pretty close to what I see down there. It was a pleasant surprise when I discovered this and the BMW wharehouse in Richmond B.C. seems to have a lot of stock on hand.

You may be correct in your area - which is good, but I have always wondered why MaxBMW can offer such a good web-based-service out of the USA yet no Canadian dealership has (to my knowledge) started up a similar service here?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
I questioned the local dealer - Vancouver Motorad - about the sudden improvement in prices over previous years and they explained that BMW Canada was trying to stem the cross border trade that was happening. Whether this or true or not is anyone's guess. I have been very lucky in obtaining some very obscure items - and this is for an airhead - with next day delivery service because of their attitude improvement. Parts back ordered from the factory have also arrived here within the week. I wish that this level of service was available to those of you who aren't near a major centre.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
i have NO shops anywhere near here....so almost ALL my parts are sourced in the States. it is clearly out of the hands of BMW shops (TT or any Asian stuff, etc) on what the list price is in Canada. they do sell less parts in the shops this side of the 49th as a result.
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Have you tried Anderwerks, I heard they'll bend over backwards to help.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Like what Steve G said, if the local price is close I'll support them without issue. That said, I generally find myself purchasing from dealers south during my travels in anticipation of future servicing and Beemer Boneyard. For the latter I again have it shipped to Blaine and pick up on the way home.

I have been on Motobins UK site and their prices are much cheaper than the US prices which equates to about 50% off from a local dealer. I have heard from some US members that the shipping was not prohibitive and the delivery was about a week. I'd be interested to know what the shipping would be to Canada and any duty on a German MC part shipped from the UK.

Example: OEM clutch parts for an 1150 (diaphragm spring, rear housing cover, pressure plate, friction plate and hex bolts)

Max BMW $511.79
MotoBins UK $289.57

I wonder what the Canadian BMW dealer retail is on that?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Like what Steve G said, if the local price is close I'll support them without issue. That said, I generally find myself purchasing from dealers south during my travels in anticipation of future servicing and Beemer Boneyard. For the latter I again have it shipped to Blaine and pick up on the way home.

I have been on Motobins UK site and their prices are much cheaper than the US prices which equates to about 50% off from a local dealer. I have heard from some US members that the shipping was not prohibitive and the delivery was about a week. I'd be interested to know what the shipping would be to Canada and any duty on a German MC part shipped from the UK.

Example: OEM clutch parts for an 1150 (diaphragm spring, rear housing cover, pressure plate, friction plate and hex bolts)

Max BMW $511.79
MotoBins UK $289.57

I wonder what the Canadian BMW dealer retail is on that?
I have bought several items from the UK for my bike, Shipping has always been quicker than from the States and I have never paid taxes on delivery.

Of course that is no guarantee that you wont be charged. As you know shipping can be hit and miss on the taxes from the States, but so far so good for me from getting items from the UK.
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I'd be interested to know what the shipping would be to Canada and any duty on a German MC part shipped from the UK.
When I was a BMW slut and addicted to the Koolaid I ordered 90% of my parts from Motobins. Most of the time there was no duty or GST on the parts and shipping was cheaper than Canada Post & Storage.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Thanks for the Motobins update. I plan on splitting the bike in half for splines ad nauseum at some point this winter so it'll give me an opportunity to assess the 93k mile old clutch parts. If needed I'll give Motobins a try....
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
When I was a BMW slut and addicted to the Koolaid I ordered 90% of my parts from Motobins. Most of the time there was no duty or GST on the parts and shipping was cheaper than Canada Post & Storage.

It's never good to drink the "koolaid" of any maker, BMW, KTM, or any other.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
It's never good to drink the "koolaid" of any maker, BMW, KTM, or any other.
I'm off Koolaid altogether now. No bikes in the garage, until next year at the earliest.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
drbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Thanks for the Motobins name. I will give them a look next time, my last order came from Beemer Boneyard.
drbike is offline   Reply With Quote