Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I'm off Koolaid altogether now. No bikes in the garage, until next year at the earliest.
Drinking cage koolaid is very much frowned upon!!!
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 246
I have recently added BMW flavored kool-aid to my diet! Now the proud owner of a 98 R1100S, needed some German engineering to go beside the Italian beauty.
CaribooBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #18
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I'm off Koolaid altogether now. No bikes in the garage, until next year at the earliest.
What happened to Ingrid's KTM?
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
What happened to Ingrid's KTM?
On the way around the world with an Australian couple.

http://www.storiesfromtheseat.com

Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #20
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Yikes...you're both bikeless! Now that must have been some intervention
Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 180
Thanks for the info. Going to to look into the Internet option. I remember reading somewhere that m/c parts are exempt from duty, and it sounds like most don't get dinged.
I guess it just pisses me off that BMW is blatantly ripping off Canadians, effectively screwing their dealers, and leaving the customer feeling crappy about their purchase.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Correct: No Duty, as there are no Canadian manufacturers to protect from competition. Canada Border Services may ding the shipment HST though as well as a slight brokerage fee. Stick to postal shipping. Courier shipping is guaranteed to be subject to lots of and higher border fees.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #23
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
Correct: No Duty, as there are no Canadian manufacturers to protect from competition. Canada Border Services may ding the shipment HST though as well as a slight brokerage fee. Stick to postal shipping. Courier shipping is guaranteed to be subject to lots of and higher border fees.

The ONLY place I have had trouble is "Rubber Side UP". I bought a used center stand which was clearly label on the packing slip, but CBS just saw "Rubber Side UP" and dinged me for of all things ......RUBBER! Yup there is duty on rubber.

Once CBS assesses a duty on a package........just try getting them to reverse it. Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
The ONLY place I have had trouble is "Rubber Side UP". I bought a used center stand which was clearly label on the packing slip, but CBS just saw "Rubber Side UP" and dinged me for of all things ......RUBBER! Yup there is duty on rubber.

Once CBS assesses a duty on a package........just try getting them to reverse it. Good Luck!

http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/du...iffs-and-taxes

Yes, there is duty on tires, IF the tire is NOT made in Canada, USA, or Mexico [free trade agreement] . I think Duty is 8%. Add to that applicable federal and provincial sales tax, all must be taken into consideration. Motorcycle parts do NOT have duty on them. Just tax. Add to that the possibility that CBS may charge an 'inspection' fee, basically to open up the package to have a look and wrap it back up.

That said, I've never been charged duty on any of the German [Metzeler, Continental] Japanese [Bridgestone] or non North American made tires I've walked across with, and rarely been charged taxes. This is the HUGE reason why walking across an item like this is advantageous compared to inspection through mail.

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/du...iffs-and-taxes

Yes, there is duty on tires, IF the tire is NOT made in Canada, USA, or Mexico [free trade agreement] . I think Duty is 8%. Add to that applicable federal and provincial sales tax, all must be taken into consideration. Motorcycle parts do NOT have duty on them. Just tax. Add to that the possibility that CBS may charge an 'inspection' fee, basically to open up the package to have a look and wrap it back up.

That said, I've never been charged duty on any of the German [Metzeler, Continental] Japanese [Bridgestone] or non North American made tires I've walked across with, and rarely been charged taxes. This is the HUGE reason why walking across an item like this is advantageous compared to inspection through mail.

Steve
I haven't looked in some time, but I seem to recall that motorcycle tires and passenger vehicle tires were treated differently--with no duty on m/c tires.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #26
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 529
I've used Beemer Boneyard too, really like those full service bundles they put together with the gaskets, filters, o-rings etc. good prices too but I'm going to look into Motobins. In my experience the UK Royal Mail is about the cheapest, most efficient service in the world - a model for Canada Post for sure.

I've noticed a new trend at Canada Post lately, they are assessing a new "handling fee" on international shipments in addition to the usual GST and duty if applicable. I've paid $35 to $50 extra on shipments thru Canada Post - seems they are making hay on all the cross-border and ebay buying we're doing.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I've noticed a new trend at Canada Post lately, they are assessing a new "handling fee" on international shipments in addition to the usual GST and duty if applicable. I've paid $35 to $50 extra on shipments thru Canada Post - seems they are making hay on all the cross-border and ebay buying we're doing.
$35 total or $35 handling fee?
I've been charged either $5 or $8 for handling/brokerage plus HST (12% in BC){+ duty [very rarely] }, if I was charged anything at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #28
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
$35 total or $35 handling fee?
I've been charged either $5 or $8 for handling/brokerage plus HST (12% in BC){+ duty [very rarely] }, if I was charged anything at all.
I've never had a handling fee applied either by Canada Post. Are you sure you aren't talking about UPS or Fedex?
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #29
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
I recently replaced my clutch slave cylinder. Both BMW dealers in Alberta were $237 with all the assorted doodads needed. Beemer Boneyard was $116 shipped to me, all in. Thats over 100% more, and it's the same part. This isn't the first time either. I was looking for the little plastic cap for my abs reservoir to make a funnel for brake flushing and It was triple the money to get it here than Max BMW. I don't mind supporting the local guy, but give your fucking head a shake.
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #30
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Canada Post does not assess your item coming from int'l or USA, that is done by CBSA...they only collect what CBSA had calculated is owing...$$$ going to gov't coffers ultimately.

Anyway, the BMW is a financial challenge to maintain, but so is all the other machinery i own. crap.
1974 honda cb 550 (R.i.P. vanessa)
edwin is offline   Reply With Quote