Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
I recently replaced my clutch slave cylinder. Both BMW dealers in Alberta were $237 with all the assorted doodads needed. Beemer Boneyard was $116 shipped to me, all in. Thats over 100% more, and it's the same part. This isn't the first time either. I was looking for the little plastic cap for my abs reservoir to make a funnel for brake flushing and It was triple the money to get it here than Max BMW. I don't mind supporting the local guy, but give your fucking head a shake.

BMW dealers are on a very tight leash regarding pricing,,,,the pricing you were quoted in Canada are a direct result of BMW Canada's pricing structure.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
I recently replaced my clutch slave cylinder. Both BMW dealers in Alberta were $237 with all the assorted doodads needed. Beemer Boneyard was $116 shipped to me, all in. Thats over 100% more, and it's the same part. This isn't the first time either. I was looking for the little plastic cap for my abs reservoir to make a funnel for brake flushing and It was triple the money to get it here than Max BMW. I don't mind supporting the local guy, but give your fucking head a shake.
Holy Bend Me Over Batman!!! I knew the price would be more but didn't know the exact number. As mentioned earlier, I had a BB Clutch Slave Cylinder (OEM Magura) shipped to Blaine Wa as I was going through there and the final bill was $98 CDN total. When I do the splines in January and inspect the clutch parts etc I'll look to Motobins UK for a test.

....$237!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #33
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 192
Ended up giving MaxBMW a try.
Their parts selection and checkout is pretty easy and fast, and is setup to reconise Canadian postal codes.
Ordered my shifter, gasket and seal with taxes and shipping for less than the shifter alone locally.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 AM   #34
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
Ended up giving MaxBMW a try.
Their parts selection and checkout is pretty easy and fast, and is setup to reconise Canadian postal codes.
Ordered my shifter, gasket and seal with taxes and shipping for less than the shifter alone locally.
Told ya.........their website and business model is pretty good.......and no I'm not drinkin their cool-aid......it is just that I have not found anyone better yet!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
Canada Post does not assess your item coming from int'l or USA, that is done by CBSA...they only collect what CBSA had calculated is owing...$$$ going to gov't coffers ultimately.

Anyway, the BMW is a financial challenge to maintain, but so is all the other machinery i own. crap.
nope, it was Canada Post, it was $35. and $50 per parcel, it was specifically a CP service charge, separate from HST and there was no duty on any of these shipments. It's happened more than once, though it's new since the parcel service charges were revamped Jan 2012 and I've paid it at both the post office and when delivered to my business. They have a new surcharge for "oversized" shipments too that may have come into play, though, neither shipment was really very big - but bigger than a breadbox. I was hoping to quote something from their website but all you can find relates to shipping TO international destinations or customs.

I learned a few years back to avoid Fedex and UPS due to brokerage fees and began using Canada Post even though they were slower. Now I just getting stuff shipped to a drop on the US side near the border and driving over for it.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #36
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
nope, it was Canada Post, it was $35. and $50 per parcel, it was specifically a CP service charge, separate from HST and there was no duty on any of these shipments. It's happened more than once, though it's new since the parcel service charges were revamped Jan 2012 and I've paid it at both the post office and when delivered to my business. They have a new surcharge for "oversized" shipments too that may have come into play, though, neither shipment was really very big - but bigger than a breadbox. I was hoping to quote something from their website but all you can find relates to shipping TO international destinations or customs.

I learned a few years back to avoid Fedex and UPS due to brokerage fees and began using Canada Post even though they were slower. Now I just getting stuff shipped to a drop on the US side near the border and driving over for it.
Where did the shipment come from?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #37
edwin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Canada Post does not inspect parcels nor charge tax/duty/fees....sorry you got dinged, but imports are subject to such....the post office does not make the rules....Harper's ppl do.
Canada Post DOES collect what ever CBSA desides is owing.
Shop in Canada to avoid a shock.
OR calculate the potential charges into the matter and deCide if it is worth it....then stop b*tching about it.
kapeesh!?
and by the way...i LOVE bmw
all the best kiddies
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #38
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
BMW dealers are on a very tight leash regarding pricing,,,,the pricing you were quoted in Canada are a direct result of BMW Canada's pricing structure.
The only way to change it, is to tell them with your wallet. Buy it somewhere else and tell them so. I don't care if the shake down comes from head office or locally, you can't have my money.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #39
greenthumb OP
b00b

Oddometer: 192
Received my parts today
Packed very well, with a sticker and business card in the box.

I was charged 12% HST, plus a $9.95 handling fee by customs at time of pickup from the post office. No Canada post charge.

In the end, it still cost less than if bought locally, but not by a huge margin.
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #40
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
I wouldn't limit your slagging to BMW. I'm sure all bike manufacturers have pricing discrepancies, buy also third party manufacturers.

I saw some Touratech panniers on the Cdn Touratech website - $1,763 plus shipping and sales taxes. Bought them off Hornig in Germany for $1,165 all in, and that includes
Dyno testing of a PC-V + Full Akropovic system on an R1200GS
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #41
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
Received my parts today
Packed very well, with a sticker and business card in the box.

I was charged 12% HST, plus a $9.95 handling fee by customs at time of pickup from the post office. No Canada post charge.

In the end, it still cost less than if bought locally, but not by a huge margin.

So the local pricing was comparable to what it cost you to buy from somewhere else? I found that out a few years ago. It doesn't seem to follow the experience from most of the posters here. I'll still keep buying locally - and I'm a thrifty individual...
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #42
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post
I wouldn't limit your slagging to BMW. I'm sure all bike manufacturers have pricing discrepancies, buy also third party manufacturers.

I saw some Touratech panniers on the Cdn Touratech website - $1,763 plus shipping and sales taxes. Bought them off Hornig in Germany for $1,165 all in, and that includes
Don't forget to consider your TT purchase from the Seattle store if you plan on going through there. Again, their price is much cheaper than the Cdn TT distributor but they won't/can't ship your purchase out of the US. I've bought a few things there while on a trip and was not even charged the WA sales tax.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #43
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
So the local pricing was comparable to what it cost you to buy from somewhere else? I found that out a few years ago. It doesn't seem to follow the experience from most of the posters here. I'll still keep buying locally - and I'm a thrifty individual...
I'd be thrilled to give the local guy the business if they're relatively close to the out of country price and do when I need the part quick. I think that there has been some price adjustment, perhaps by BMW Canada, to bring our prices down a bit but they're still higher. If it's a small part then of course the difference is not worth the hassle nor money saving.

The easy way to see this is if you know the cost of an OEM part locally then just use the parts fiche on Max BMW as a standard to compare. As the part price gets higher so too does the disparity between a local versus international purchase. The OP used a clutch slave cylinder as an example....98 bux from Beemer Boneyard as opposed to his local price in Calgary of 237. These two parts are the same OEM Magura brand.

I found this to be the case not only with newer bikes but also the old ones when I restored my 64 and 76. Pre '80 ish airhead pricing is very good from Hucky's BMW Parts in Florida.

As always....Google is your friend.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #44
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
I'd be thrilled to give the local guy the business if they're relatively close to the out of country price and do when I need the part quick. I think that there has been some price adjustment, perhaps by BMW Canada, to bring our prices down a bit but they're still higher. If it's a small part then of course the difference is not worth the hassle nor money saving.

The easy way to see this is if you know the cost of an OEM part locally then just use the parts fiche on Max BMW as a standard to compare. As the part price gets higher so too does the disparity between a local versus international purchase. The OP used a clutch slave cylinder as an example....98 bux from Beemer Boneyard as opposed to his local price in Calgary of 237. These two parts are the same OEM Magura brand.

I found this to be the case not only with newer bikes but also the old ones when I restored my 64 and 76. Pre '80 ish airhead pricing is very good from Hucky's BMW Parts in Florida.

As always....Google is your friend.
I do the comparison via the internet on everything that I purchase - I've had the pleasure of having to purchase very little these last few years to keep things going. I had to replace my turn signal relay a few years ago and gave the MAX fiche a looksie - the price was around $135. A quick call to Vancouver Motorad showed the price to be around $145 and the part was in the BMW warehouse in Richmond - I could have the part in hand the next business day. No brainer here - go for the local dealer, especially since they were less than 2km from where I lived in Burnaby. I will always try to support them, especially since they were instrumental in doing the leg work in getting documentation to support my application for Collector bike status. Compared to the price of aviation parts, bikes parts are a steal.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadandugly View Post

So for some reason my previous post got cut short.

Anyways, the $1,165 includes 50 Euros in shipping, so the actual cost of the panniers was sub-$1,100. If you assume $50 shipping from Touratech Canada (which is actually Moto Internationale in Montreal) to Ottawa and taxes, the panniers would have cost me over $2,100 here - almost $1,000 more. Even if I got taxed on the shipment from Germany, The final tab would be $1,316. Still almost $800 more.

Ridiculous, they probably pay more in cost than I paid to get it full retail.

That being said, I still support local when it's reasonable. It doesn't hurt to ask Cdn vendors to match US prices. Many would rather sell you a product at a lower margin than lose your sale altogether. At least give them a chance. Dualsportplus.com matched the Revzilla price on a $185 PIAA light bar (it was $20-25 cheaper at Revzilla), so I ended paying $12 shipping and possibly taxes more than I would have Revzilla. But it was a trade-off I was willing to make.

And I supported my local dealer. I bought my 2012 BMW R1200GS full ticket from the local dealer when I could have gotten it $1,000 cheaper at Moto Internationale on Montreal.

BigBadandUgly
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote