User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
Adventure Kitty OP
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,264
Adventure Kitty's 20 Mule Team Adventure Part 1

Ummm...hello! This is a aventure that did not turn out exactly the way I planned but that's what makes it a aventure!

Back in the 1800s, aventure mules used to go on aventures by themselves. One of their favorite aventures was to go from bolcano to bolcano. They used to leave KFC in Mojave then head across the desert to Pilot Knob (because it looks like a bolcano and is surrounded by old bolcanoes). From there they would go north to Ubehebe Crater which is a bolcano, then north to Mammuff Mountain which is another bolcano.

On one of these trips, somebody in Mojave noticed that the mules always had soap on their feet when they got there. They asked the mules where the soap came from so they took them out to it. It was just laying on the ground everywhere! So they started filling up wagons on their aventures and bringing it back to Mojave. That's how the 20 Mule Team was born.

They took so much soap out of the ground that they dug Deaf Valley! Deaf Valley is very deep so it's harder to get to Ubehebe Crater today. If you ride around out there you might still see some aventure donkeys though! Just remember that Borax is aventure soap that we owe to donkeys going on bolcano aventures!

October 6th, the city of Boron was celebrating the 50th anniversary of Mule Days. It was a day to honor those teams of mules who did so much work digging Deaf Valley! Being guests of honor I had to make sure that my mule team was there. It was also a good time to take them on a aventure on the original 20 Mule Team route.

This is the thread leading up to the aventure:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271720

The original route starts in Mojave, Ca. This is a picture from a past aventure but I included it here because you can read the plaque better. This is in front of KFC. After 20 days in the desert I guess the mule teams just wanted some chicken fingers and a soda so they ended their trail here.

This is the morning of the aventure! You can see the windfarm (where they make wind) on the hills in back. They put them there so people can cool off when they come here to see where the mule aventures started!

This is about 3 miles from town. They built Mojave Airport right over the trail. KFC is on the other side of the airplanes. That's about 1 mile of the trail on the other side of the fence. That's Highway 58 crossing the trail next to the fence.

This is looking the other way toward Pilot Knob. I got all of my baby mules out and hooked them up for some pictures! I took them on a short aventure on the original mule team trail. They had a good time. It was very nice! We came back here later in the day to take our motorcycles across the aventure trail!

After the photos, we rode to Boron to meet up with some other Aventure Riders. That's Mr G, SpaFxr and LKN4DRT.

When we found the mule team getting ready for the parade, my baby mules started heading out to visit them. People liked my baby mule team and wanted pictures of them too! They understand aventure in Boron!

This little boy came over and petted my baby mules. He said that they are very nice and not big like the other mules!

The mule team getting ready to pull a set of the original Borax wagons down 20 Mule Team Road in the parade. These are first class aventure mules! They normally live on the back of Mammuff Mountain and take people on Sierra aventures!

They live at Red's Meadow where I got to visit them on the WMRS ride last year. The reason they live there is because Mamuff Mountain is on a bolcano and bolcanoes mean aventure!

I went over and said hi to the front mules (Donkey Hotey De La Uno and Donkey Hotey De La Dos). I told them the only mule joke I know:
Quote:
An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a big field. Luckily, a local farmer saw him and brought his mule named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!"

Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer yelled, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy still didn't respond. Once more the farmer yelled, "Pull, Coco, pull!"

Nothing. Then the farmer said, "Pull, Buddy, pull!" And the mule dragged the car out of the ditch. The car driver was very surprised.

He asked the farmer why he called his mule by the wrong name three times. The farmer said, "Oh, Buddy is blind. If he thought he was the only one pulling, he wouldn't even try!"

Donkey Hotey De La Uno liked it but Donkey Hotey De La Dos didn't think it was very funny.

Here they are just about to start the parade! They told me that the day before the parade, they got to pull the wagons all the way to town from the Borax mine 3 miles away. I wish I could have seen them pulling the wagons over the freeway!

And there they go on their aventure! It was a short aventure. They went down the street and around the corner to the park.

Here are two MewTube videos of the mule team in the parade. The first is the team going down the street. The second is the team making the corner. When the team goes around the corner, the back mules have to step over the chains so that wagon can keep going straight. Mules are very smart!

After the parade, we started the motorcycle part of our aventure. We all rode back to Mojave for lunch. We went to Mike's Roadhouse Cafe. Mr SpaFxr got a tuna sammich and I got fish tacos!

Mr Fubars showed up late but he kept telling us that he had two reasons to come out: good food and aventure! Mr LKN4DRT wanted to make sure I ate. Everybody was very nice to me!

That's Mr Fubars telling me that I'm OK! He's so nice! That's a spark arrestor he duck taped to his saddlebag. He said that he brought it because we were supposed to have one to ride in the desert. I don't think he understood but I didn't want to explain it to him.

We rode back to the same spot where I got pictures of my mule team in the morning. We started across the desert but it was very sandy and just kept getting deeper.

Mr Fubars headed home because he had the wrong tires. Mr LKN4DRT already went home because he didn't feel good (I told him he should have ordered the fish). We decided to ride pavement around the first section. We went to California City where the trail is paved.

This is the paved part of Twenty Mule Team Parkway just outside of California City. That thing that looks like a bolcano is Pilot Knob. That's thirty miles away. This is how mules used to get to Deaf Valley when they went on aventures by themselves! It looks like a bolcano but it's not. It's just a marker so they know how to find the bolcanoes!

Our aventure ended 15 miles later. The battery in my Rubber Cow broke. That's not very nice. It became a aventure just getting back to the road. Mr G took the battery out of his rubber cow to get mine running again. We will have to come back again so we can make it to Pilot Knob.

Mr G made sure we got back to Highway 395, then to make it a real aventure, we called a tow truck so I got to go on a tow truck aventure!

So that was the start of my 20 Mule Team aventures! I'm going to go back and finish the part of the trail to Pilot Knob, then later I will go to the part in Deaf Valley!

There are other mule team aventure trails south of Deaf Valley too! This is going to be the start of many great aventures!

Adventure Kitty screwed with this post 10-15-2007 at 12:59 PM
Adventure Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
Looks good Adv Kitty.. you've been away for too long.. thanks for your charming report and pics!! I like your white fur matching panniers!
Old 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Adventure Kitty OP
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,264
I just found another video of the mule team on MewTube!

Did anybody look at my slideshow yet?
Adventure Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
All4Fun
Let the good times roll!

Oddometer: 182
Aventure Kitty and Donkey Hotey. Takes a real guy to give us such fun ... THANKS
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Spyder
Welcome to the Lair

Oddometer: 176
Eek

Quirre viente sies?
Que?

Spyder
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
LKN4DRT
Mended

Oddometer: 717
Thanks for posting this fun event. You're one unique adventure dude.
Four five O
Five O O
LKN4DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #7
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
Quirre viente sies?
Que?
Thanks! You're right--there were two typos in the credits. That's what happens when Adventure Kitty calls her friend Dora The Explorer for help with her Spanglish.

Ultimately, it was my fault because I helped her with the credits. Good catch though.

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Great photo's and write up Kitty!
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #9
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,874
Yea!
Another ADVenture Kitty Post!

Thanks.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,337
This is your best report yet Adventure Kitty! I loved the slide show, it had Hayduke and I laughing till tears squirted out our eyes!! I can't wait for part two!!!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #11
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,126
GREAT slideshow, Adventure Kitty! Very appropriate music!

I always look forward to your reports and pics!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
DKADV
Travel is education

Oddometer: 451
Can't take anymore....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
This is your best report yet Adventure Kitty! I loved the slide show, it had Hayduke and I laughing till tears squirted out our eyes!! I can't wait for part two!!!
I saw it too and I'm speechless.... Sometimes....

See ya!
Yamaha '03 WR450F '05 WR450R '94 TT350 '04 YZF (450)
MZ '81 MZ151
DKADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605

Another gem, AK! Thanks for posting and getting all your mules together to make the video - it wa awesome!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Yeah! My favorite Aventure Kitty inviting us all along on another aventure!!

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
NotBetty
secret weapon

Oddometer: 164
Excellent slideshow!

Sidesplitting!

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to your next aventure!
NotBetty is offline   Reply With Quote