ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
scout18 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Solobox

Any one here know Eric Nolan of Solo box up there in Mt. Vernon Washington?

scout18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
westcoasttrekker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128

My Pics
westcoasttrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 596
Believe this is the same guy that ran EP!C panniers (long thread in vendors section). From what I remember reading he has turned his business practices around with Solobox. Suggest you read the thread for yourself if you are thinking of buying.

S1
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
Believe this is the same guy that ran EP!C panniers (long thread in vendors section). From what I remember reading he has turned his business practices around with Solobox. Suggest you read the thread for yourself if you are thinking of buying.

S1
He had some small business growing pains and some poor customer service at first. I think a case of growing to fast. He has made amens with those who were dissatisfied and is doing great now. I am in no way affiliated with him or his business and have never met or talked with him. Seems to be a stand up guy selling an ADV quality product at an unbeatable price. Soon as I get my new bike I will be purchasing a set.. My vote is give him a try..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
wookin2ride
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just wanted to chime in here- He had not made any amends with me yet. I posted my situation on that thread regarding the service, quality of welds on my boxes etc and he responded with a well intended post requesting that I PM him. I did that trying to work something out and he never responded to the original PM. To me, the post was just a show; everyone would read it and then think he was making amends, when he really just wrote the words without action - in my case anyway. Short of him doing something drastic to earn my trust back, I will never buy from this guy again, and will now use a much more trusted vendor; even if it costs more. I almost didnt get my boxes from him in time for my big trip. They were 3 months late in arriving the first time. In my opinion, if you are going to mess up - making amends is a good way to earn business again. But messing up, then stating publicly that you will make amends and not acting is even worse.

So not only did he lose a customer with friends who are have bikes and want panniers- he has lost business from these people as a result, I will try to let people know who are considering them about my experiences and to consider more reliable vendors. I tried to give solobox/Ep!c pannier and second and third chance! you know what they say 'fool me once.....'

If I can save even just one person the turmoil/stress of having to deal with the turmoil/stress of dealing with these panniers then Ill chalk my loss up to a learning experience and benefit to others.

Ride safe
wookin2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
bgt595
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I took a chance on a local guy trying to fill a niche. I was immediately impressed with the build quality of the boxes when I saw them. The fit and finish looked great and they are just what I was looking for and at an attractive price. I went for the normal sized boxes for my 05 Triumph Tiger. They will be mounted to set of Givi pannier racks using Happy Trails mounts.
These: http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...Mount-Kit.aspx

A nice daytrip from my home to Mt. Vernon with these on the back garnered some looks.

Now to start the swapping of the bags.
bgt595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,703
Nice license plate box!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,807
Happy Trails: After almost 3 years of using them on the Blue Mule am still one very Happy customer. The mounts alone are almost as sturdy as my Givi crash bars.

fat-bottomed girl

linkweewee screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 07:55 PM
linkweewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #9
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Happy Trails: After almost 3 years of using them on the Blue Mule am still one very Happy ...
Who the fhug are you?...

who who, whowho
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Nice license plate box!
Was thinking the same thing, which bike you putting that on Scott?

Have had this guys info saved for awhile now, would concider these panniers as an alternative to...really farkin expensive one's!
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Was thinking the same thing, which bike you putting that on Scott?

Have had this guys info saved for awhile now, would concider these panniers as an alternative to...really farkin expensive one's!
Don't know about me, but looks like a good KLR Farkle. Gotta love the creative uses of those little pelicans.

As far as the OP, glad you like them, I had read of some of the earlier "Growing Pains" problems he had. Myself, I'm pretty happy with the Happy Trails, which these seem to copy (Added to 2 bikes). Too bad he could make some Obvious change to his design to set them apart vs. making them look like clones of someone else s design.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
rfbarker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I just ordered up some from Kirk in the vendor section. UPS hasn't dropped them off yet but they seem like they should be the shit and are similarly priced to the HT setup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21592607

rfbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
bgt595
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Nice license plate box!

Thanks Scott, the factory tool kit lacks adequate tools to remove the wheel and most useful tools to take the tank off if needed...... After building up the toolkit I needed a place to store it and some jumper cables I made......BAM!! The parachute pack was born....

Now if you're message was meant as sarcasm then
Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgt595 View Post
I took a chance on a local guy trying to fill a niche. I was immediately impressed with the build quality of the boxes when I saw them. The fit and finish looked great and they are just what I was looking for and at an attractive price. I went for the normal sized boxes for my 05 Triumph Tiger. They will be mounted to set of Givi pannier racks using Happy Trails mounts.
These: http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...Mount-Kit.aspx

A nice daytrip from my home to Mt. Vernon with these on the back garnered some looks.

Now to start the swapping of the bags.
Check your PM, had a question about your set up.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
bgt595
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Check your PM, had a question about your set up.

I never got any PM's, but here's what I got going.

It's a used Givi rack I bought off the tigertriple.com classifieds and then the boxes are standard sized bags from Solobox (he has a Facebook page) and mounted everything to the bike using Happy Trails mounts.

The small lock box on the fender is a Pelican 1200 case bolted to the factory license plate bracket and also bolted to the bottom of the fender though the cross brace of the Givi side rack brackets.

I can take pictures if needed, but is all the normal stuff.

bgt595 screwed with this post 06-24-2013 at 08:50 PM Reason: Oops