Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #31
RGregor
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenal View Post
So I suppose the benifits were measured - what were the conclusions?
What were the conclusions of the author?
In short:
- By individually programming your specific advance curves they can be optimized for the gas you use and your engine characteristics
- Processing the MPS-sensor does not affect full load power, but little or medium load
- For little or medium load you can run more advance, as mixture will burn more slowly
- Result will be higher mpg or lower l/100km respectively.

The author didn't do any dyno runs, his mere concern is efficiency/mileage. Thus he calculated his mpg which dropped below 5l/100km (He's running 95 Octane E10 gas).
RGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #32
adrenal
www.cafebeemer.com.au

Oddometer: 497
Thanks for that RGregor.
I'm looking forward to experimenting with the thing and perhaps swapping some notes with you.
And as our valued window (ok, spy) into the airhead world in Germany, please let us know of anything of interest that might pop up in forums etc over there...
instagram: #skrunkwerks
adrenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
Voltaire OP
Pissedmoaninglapper

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenal View Post
Cripes! You have electricity in the land of the long white cloud!

Yep detonation is one of the parameters as is normally the case. Also, when you load up, the air/fuel mixture becomes denser and burns quicker therefore the spark needs to be retarded and visa versa when cruising or throttle off. Thats about all I know at this point!
I had a look at your website.....very nice.....I've got shed, engineering, photography,web design, envy.
I saw it a few months back when I was looking at dyno info on the airheads....compared to the modern Triumph Bonnies dyno info is pretty thin on the ground....butt dynos mainly and 'back in the day' stories....
What sort of rear wheel power are you getting as I have yet to put mine on a dyno. Since I fitted bell mouths, norton mufflers ( instead of the 2 into 1) and the ignitech it certainly feels better.....and I got 7 seconds off my recent lap times compared to April.
Will find out next weekend at the Barry Sheen TT ....can I get past my nemesis ....the almost stock r100 RS with experienced racer Vs home built R90 ridden by 51 year old bloke with less than 1 year.....
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #34
adrenal
www.cafebeemer.com.au

Oddometer: 497
Cheer up Voltaire, at least you're spared the p..... envy, I definitely need the bike as an extension for that. Started racing at 50? Sounds like you've got the knackers to boot!

Did a dyno run when bike wasn't set up properly so not valid. It's going well now and have plans to up the anti further once I finish building my dyno

Good luck with your nemesis. Got any racing pics?
instagram: #skrunkwerks
adrenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
Voltaire OP
Pissedmoaninglapper

here is the build thread if you have a few minutes.....there are a few pics there...mainly forum waffle.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790873
Old 10-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,039
That's a good read and gives a better idea of your efforts to date. Thanks, I enjoyed it.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
Eats Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Does anyone have any new information for using the Ignitech ignition on 247 boxer engines? I'm especially interested in setting curves using a throttle position sensor or pressure sensor. I looked at the www.2-ventiler.de posts but being mono-lingual it was of little value. The Ducati guys are posting about this unit like crazy, it must be catching on more slowly in the boxer world.

The other electronic ignitions being offered annoy me because of the lack of flexibility. You spend your approx. $350 and get at best 2 curves or so, at worst one curve and you get to spend more to buy a second curve (if you decide to dual plug), sooo last century. Otherwise I'm sure that they are fine units.

Ideally, my project would include switching to more modern Keihin CVK carburetors. Their use on three cylinder, water cooled Triumph bikes show improved reliability and fuel economy (when compared to Mikuni BST carbs). I have a pair and one of them has a throttle position sensor attached. My project is an R100GS although I might do development on an iron sleeve R100 engine in a /6 bike.
Eats Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #38
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats Dirt View Post
Does anyone have any new information for using the Ignitech ignition on 247 boxer engines? I'm especially interested in setting curves using a throttle position sensor or pressure sensor. I looked at the www.2-ventiler.de posts but being mono-lingual it was of little value. The Ducati guys are posting about this unit like crazy, it must be catching on more slowly in the boxer world.

The other electronic ignitions being offered annoy me because of the lack of flexibility. You spend your approx. $350 and get at best 2 curves or so, at worst one curve and you get to spend more to buy a second curve (if you decide to dual plug), sooo last century. Otherwise I'm sure that they are fine units.

Ideally, my project would include switching to more modern Keihin CVK carburetors. Their use on three cylinder, water cooled Triumph bikes show improved reliability and fuel economy (when compared to Mikuni BST carbs). I have a pair and one of them has a throttle position sensor attached. My project is an R100GS although I might do development on an iron sleeve R100 engine in a /6 bike.
I have very often voiced the same complaint about electronic advance curves. They are like cable TV. 100 stations of crap I am not interested in.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #39
Voltaire OP
Pissedmoaninglapper

Wise words oh Airhead Guru, tell us more about your Ignitech experiences.........