User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 802
The Inmate "Build"

I may be sticking my neck way out here, but I'm seriously considering adding yet one more build to my "Freak-Show" build projects currently in progress. BUT... this time, I'm going to let all you inmate's design the build, including helping decide what parts from recently or long dead souls of mechanical beasts get welded, shoe-horned, bolted or glued down on "our Little Monster". I'll secure the parts, engine, doo-dads, and other parts, weld, and assemble, paint, polish and post each time we get something new added. It will live and breathe,...and run on public roadways. It may take some time, but IT WILL happen. January 2013 is the start build date. Completion by July 2013. Until then it's idea time. then vote for the best idea. Inmates rule the build- by vote. Only two rules. No Harley's. . They have already been done fifty seven thousand times.... and it must be a motorcycle or parts obtainable from normal retailer or reseller of used or dead parts available to the general public.

Any takers?

Jerry b- "Right Brained Mad Scientist", and motorcycle freak.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,422
I want one of these so bad but with a modern fork dual disc front end like the tracker ron peck did

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

I'm already building one...albeit a Yamaha Shell Thuet motor. Dual disks from a KTM 990.

Its farther than this but I don't have any pics. Track master Frame with Buell forks and RAD/Excel wheel set based on KTM 990. The Honda would be rather schweeet tho...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Quickv4
Pro Turd Polisher

Oddometer: 550
Ural/dneper Sidecar combo with a supercharged Goldwing motor

Dual engined bike

www.v4hondabbs.com
Quickv4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,483
Cabbies stuff has always impressed me, Kawasaki triple in a modern frame

And this isn't to shabby either, but a little pricier no doubt.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
My vote?

Custom frame that would take the popular Kawasaki 650 Versys/Ninja engine and KTM LC4 running gear (swingarm/shock/linkage/wheels/brakes/forks/triples).

Everybody loves how the LC4s handle and the good suspension, wheels and brakes, but no one like how they vibrate, they don't hold up all that well and are not that reliable, require lots of maintenance. The Kawi engine is very compact, super reliable, has a big stator and easily puts out 70 horses all while using less fuel than the LC4.

All parts can be had very cheap and this would make a bitching medium sized twin cylinder adventure bike unlike anything in the market, easily sub 400 lbs...

LukasM screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 06:18 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
+1

And it does need to have 6+ gallon tank, roomy and comfortable seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
My vote?

Custom frame using the popular Kawasaki 650 Versys/Ninja engine and KTM LC4 running gear (swingarm/shock/linkage/wheels/brakes/forks/triples).

Everybody loves how the LC4s handle and the good suspension and brakes, but no one like how they vibrate, they don't hold up all that well and are not that reliable, require lots of maintenance. The Kawi engine is very compact, super reliable, has a big stator and easily puts out 70 horses.

All parts can be had very cheap and this would make a bitching medium sized twin cylinder adventure bike unlike anything in the market, easily sub 400 lbs...
Old 09-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,422
Quote:
My vote?

Custom frame that would take the popular Kawasaki 650 Versys/Ninja engine and KTM LC4 running gear (swingarm/shock/linkage/wheels/brakes/forks/triples).

Everybody loves how the LC4s handle and the good suspension, wheels and brakes, but no one like how they vibrate, they don't hold up all that well and are not that reliable, require lots of maintenance. The Kawi engine is very compact, super reliable, has a big stator and easily puts out 70 horses all while using less fuel than the LC4.

That would be really sweet. I wonder if the sub 400 is "easy" though. Most of the guys building the ninja conversions seem to be over 400 lbs. You add on luggage and the ADV stuff and it adds up quickly.

I just checked the ninja motor weighs 126 lbs, my CBR motor weighs 136. I'm basically using the same suspension as the KTM would have, PDS shock, 48mm forks, dirt wheels-no cush drive. The big difference is my fuel tank, or lack thereof. I have a 2.16 gal tank under the seat which is obviously not enough for ADV travels. My bike weighs 364 lbs fully fueled.

I think a custom frame is totally the way to go, as I get more comfortable building, I think I could do it. I have a tubing bender and a lathe, not much more you need other than regular fab tools. There's a jobshop thread by JesusGatos where someone with a CNC shop and waterjet posted up for nice brackets and such.

I'll take back what I said about sub 400, but you'd need to really watch the weight on everything, which would make selecting the KTM dirtbike components much easier. My CBR stops on a dime with a 320 rotor, the FZ1 needs the much heavier 950 components and dual discs.

Dammit Lukas, now you got me thinking and I just swore off anymore projects...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Motomochila OP
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Dammit Lukas, now you got me thinking and I just swore off anymore projects...
Smells like I got sumthin going here. Adventure bike? Maybe.. Advanced "noway will the mfg's make it" kinda bike- possible. Retro, "Shoulda been made", and I wish I had one of those- plausible... Before I put in my 2-cents of ideas, I will wait until inmates come up with the next project.

Wanna see what I am doing now? FrankenStein and other Freaks- Motorcycle Monsters I've also got 3 others on the bench waiting for ..... who know what.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I've really been interested in building an Xt of sorts, maybe a motard or dualsport based on the raptor 700 fi engine.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
I've really been interested in building an Xt of sorts, maybe a motard or dualsport based on the raptor 700 fi engine.
That would be cool.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
My goal for a bike is:

A 650-750cc, Fuel Injected V-Twin, in a Street Tracker style frame with 11" suspension travel on a 36" seat height.

THAT, or,

An inline 4, fuel injected, turbo'ed street tracker on 17" wheels.

I want a street tracker.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Or we could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickv4 View Post
Ural/dneper Sidecar combo with a supercharged Goldwing motor

Dual engined bike
Maybe see if we could pitch in and buy this?

Cedric Smith of Everett Powersports, in Everett, Washington built that motorcycle. It's a stock 2004 GL1800 frame and rear swing arm. Rear wheel has been widened from 5" to 6" the diameter enlarged to 16". The front end is a Suzuki GSXR750 with a CRB1000RR front fairing/gauge cluster. The tank, fairings, and rear tail cowl are all also CBR1000RR. It's a 6into2into1 undertail exhaust. The bike weighs just under 500lbs with 100hp and 100 ft-lbs of torque. Complete with a hand built wiring harness and fuel rail. It's nuts. It sounds like a GL1800, but it moves like nothing you've seen.
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,345
Great idea. Along for the ride.
jesusgatos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #15
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 508
LC4/Ninja get's my vote. The KLR/Ninja is close but it needs a custom chrome-moly frame to bring the weight down.

Quote:
My vote?

elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote