Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
gregbart OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Required gear for trail ride

Hi all,

Looking for some advice from those with trail experience.
I've been using my XT600 as a street bike since I've owned it (about 3 years). I'll be buying another street bike soon and will be keeping the XT as a second bike. My brother is an avid Jeepster and wants me to go out with him for a weekend trip, now and again. It will be mostly fire trails and such, nothing too extreme.

I will, probably, be doing a couple weekends a year. Since I have no off-road gear, what would be the minimum gear I should be looking to get.

Thanks,
Greg

BTW, Any tire recommendations for a bike used 50% on the street, the other 50% gravel road?
gregbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
My favorite 50/50 bike is a suzuki dr650...super reliable and easy to ride.

as for gear, i would say minimum is good boots and gloves. But, I dont ride without elbow, knee, chest protection and a camelbak/water carrier. If you're newish to offroad riding, plan to fall a bit...it's pretty common. If you plan to fall and dress accordingly, you have a much better chance of being bruised instead of broken.

I also tend to carry some emergency gear and rain gear in a couple soft bags.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbart View Post

BTW, Any tire recommendations for a bike used 50% on the street, the other 50% gravel road?
Heidenau K60.
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
gregbart OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys,
Thinking that I'll take the face shield off my street helmet, buy some decent goggles and use my street gloves and boots. My brother will be in the jeep with water and extra fuel. Who knows, I may end up riding trails more often. Again, thanks for the gear and tire advice,

Greg
Old 01-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
sorry, misread your first post asking for recommendations for Tires, not bike. As for tires, I really like the kenda 270's...even though they are fairly loud on pavement. I wear earplugs, so doesn't really bother me. They are cheap, last pretty well, and hook up great offroad.

If you want some pads, send me a pm with your address and I'll send you some of my extras. I also have a pair of mx boots you can have if you want to pay shipping. size 11 i think.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,390
I used to trail ride (single track and 4X4 trails) a lot on my '83 XL600R. I felt it was plenty light for that type of stuff, since I could always drag it over obstacles if needed. The XT should be great for that too.

The first thing I'd do is change the gearing. Set it up so your top speed is around 70 mph. This will allow you to keep up on secondary highways, cruising comfortably at 55-60, yet able to do 70 if needed. If your bike is in the database, this website can help you choose the right sprockets:

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

I always wore a full mesh jacket, high top hiking boots, and jeans. Armored jeans would be better. I rode trails at the pace of a Jeep, so didn't really feel the need for extreme riding gear like the motocross guys use.

They are expensive, but the place I would splurge is the helmet. I really love my Arai XD4 helmet for stuff like what you're planning. The sun visor is low enough to be useful (make sure you can see it from inside the helmet), and makes a huge difference going in and out of the shady spots. The face shield keeps dust out of your eyes if you are following the Jeep, without the need for goggles.

A Camel Back water system might be welcome. The people in the Jeep will be able to drink the whole time, and that will allow you to do the same without stopping.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #7
Cainer
supern00b

Oddometer: 206
Maybe...

Maybe something to read while you continuously wait for them to catch up?

Seriously, I bet it would be painful to putt-putt along behind a Jeep all day...those are the things most bikes are constantly passing on a trails because they're going so slow.

Requirements aren't that much different for street vs. light two-track trail. Your street helmet, assuming you have something full-face, and gloves will probably be just fine for 1-2 times a year. As slow as you'll be going if you are keeping pace with a Jeep, you could probably get away with hiking boots and jeans, but I would suggest you have some sort of protective boot. If you already have something for the road, it's probably good enough. Obviously, the faster you wanna go off road, the more protection you should probably look to get.
Cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
gregbart OP
Adventurer

Thanks again,
It looks like we are going out over Valentines / president's day weekend. I agree that the jeep will be alot slower than a bike but, i can check out the trail ahead of them. We have 2meter radios, so we have good coms. I'll be getting the new tires after the first of the month.

Greg

gregbart screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 06:34 AM
Old 02-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
motofan936
FNG

Oddometer: 43
Check out eveRides you tube video on good budget gear. It has a nice atgatt setup for awesome price

'08 XB12XT Uly,'06Roadglide,06CRF250
Less judgment than wit is more sail than ballast.
motofan936 is offline   Reply With Quote