User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
396427454 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
ECU replacement 800gs

What's involved in swapping the ECU on an 800gs? Mine may be bad - have opportunity to purchase good (supposedly) used ECU. - identical Part no. Are there software issues? Do o need dealer? Are there keying issues?
396427454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
From what I have heard, I think you will need a dealer in the loop.
I don't think anyone but the dealer can do what needs to be done.
You could ask on the GS-911 forum, the developers monitor the board, and they would very likely know the details.

See: http://groups.google.com/group/gs-911
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
I don't think that dealers will or even could - if they wanted - reflash a used ECU with the right VIN.

Unofficial ways through hacking - quite possible. Certainly not with a GS911 though.

Can you borrow it just to try and plug it in, or at least buy with the right to return?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger

LukasM screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 03:10 PM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

LukasM:

You are much more familiar with this than I am ... do you know where the key codes are kept for the electronic chip on the ignition key? If those are stored in the ECU you would be screwed right?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
396427454 OP
Adventurer

Maybe why it's so cheap
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I do know that the dealerships have a way to add new key-codes up to some limit of ~10 or 12 keys.
This is necessary if an owner looses or damages a key, of course the dealer has to validate the VIN and the owner and maybe get a secret handshake from the fatherland.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
I don't pretend to be an expert here but did play one for a few years at a Motorrad Dealership.

First off, why do you think your ECU is bad? I'd get confirmation on that before going any further. They don't just "go bad". You could spend a lot of cash finding out you're wrong.

When changing any of the ECU's on the BMW's, you must use the Dealer computer (GT1 or MOSS). After getting hooked up and sorted you must "prepare" the old ECU to be removed. All of it's critical data is temporarily stored in all the bike's other ECU's memory then you are instructed to swap the units. After that, all of the ECU's must get acquainted and refill the new one's memory so that they can all get along properly. It's not a fun process, any interruption in the power supply or voltage can really F things up. Then you've got some work ahead of you.

Sure you could just go ahead and swap them with the battery disconnected but that may end up like throwing a cat into the dog pen. I don't know if you could defeat this by swapping ALL the computers from the doner bike but if you did, the VIN's wouldn't match and someone may get arrested.

You can only reprogram an ECU so many times but I don't think you can "clear" it and start over.

Confirm the fault before you induce a world of pain on yourself.

IMHO

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:55 AM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
396427454 OP
Adventurer

Thanks Reaver, this is the level of detail I need. I'm an engineer, and sometimes my own worst enemy - I have an appointment at the dealer this week, and hate not being able to speak intelligently with the tech. Based on the nature of my issue, and having done some troubleshooting already at an independent shop, I anticipate the need for a new ECU, and coincidentally, an ECU was available on EBAY for dirt cheap - so I took a risk and picked it up - not much lost if it's bad or if the dealer can't work with it.

(Man I hate not being able to fix things myself)

Thanks again
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,825
An Engineer? And there I was dumming it down with the cat and dog analogy!

I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer so I know what you mean about being your own worst enemy. I have to double and triple check the bikes before a long trip then pack enough tools for every possible failure. I hate people touching my mechanical things. I hate paying people to touch my mechanical things even more.

Glad to help and good luck with the repair.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
... I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer ...
Thanks Reaver!
It's good we have you Aircraft guys around ... otherwise us engineers would look all anal ....