Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #76
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I have 14/50 on my 530,could still be a little lower to run second gear on singletrack. Stock is 15/45.
Mine will still touch 100mph with 14/50
I have 14/50 on my 530, too. Here in our super-tight single-track, 14/50 puts me between 1st and 2nd a lot. A lot of guys around here run them at 13/50 or 14/52, using 2nd as the default tight stuff gear, saving 1st as a granny to get them out of da shit. My bike's PO installed a Rekluse Z-start Pro, so tough spots are a piece of cake. I'm thinking about trying 14/48 to make 1st more useful, since the auto-clutch is a good safety net for the tougher spots. That should also make it a bit more relaxed on the pavement runs.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #77
etingelefunts
retem-odo

Oddometer: 811
Old thread, new answer;

Own both. The 2011 WRR is the most versatile bike I have ever owned. Fuel pump petered out which Yamaha promptly warrantied with a part revision.

The 2013 350 EXC-F is distilled bliss. Has electrical issues. Better at shredding knobbies, but needs more time in the jacuzzi repairing what it does to its own guts.

If I had to get rid of either, it would be dearly missed, and NOTHING the other bike could say or do would end the longing...
... remembering these sentiments;

• The EXC would get ridden harder, passed over for most extended journeys, complain more, while daring me NOT to ride her.
  • The little WRR always gives plenty, gets ridden further, more often, complaining less and grows on me constantly.
My WRR is like choosing a sweet girl over a dirty one... the sweet one won't break the bank, try to kill me, and requires fewer shoes, ultimately she'll give me MORE thrills in the long run.

Alas I can't commit, so I still keep a plate on both their fingers, which is still legal right ?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #78
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by etingelefunts View Post
Old thread, new answer;

Own both. The 2011 WRR is the most versatile bike I have ever owned. Fuel pump petered out which Yamaha promptly warrantied with a part revision.

The 2013 350 EXC-F is distilled bliss. Has electrical issues. Better at shredding knobbies, but needs more time in the jacuzzi repairing what it does to its own guts.

If I had to get rid of either, it would be dearly missed, and NOTHING the other bike could say or do would end the longing...
... remembering these sentiments;

• The EXC would get ridden harder, passed over for most extended journeys, complain more, while daring me NOT to ride her.
  • The little WRR always gives plenty, gets ridden further, more often, complaining less and grows on me constantly.
My WRR is like choosing a sweet girl over a dirty one... the sweet one won't break the bank, try to kill me, and requires fewer shoes, ultimately she'll give me MORE thrills in the long run.

Alas I can't commit, so I still keep a plate on both their fingers, which is still legal right ?

Now that's funny and brilliantly written.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 AM   #79
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t08 View Post
One thing to look at is resale value, lets say you put 10,000 miles on a KTM 500, what's it going to be worth? Do the same with a WR250R, you'll probably be able to recoup more of your money when you sell it. That's one thing preventing me from buying a KTM 500 exc, it's almost like you should sell the KTM at a certain point to prevent from loosing like all of your money, haha.
If its only an investment to try to keep your money............I can think of better ways to go about it then buying motorcycles. Every time I ride my 530 the grins last for days.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #80
matt33 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
OP here. I saw this thread was revived so I thought I'd post an update. Late last year, I ended up buying a 2013 WR250R. While it's a great bike for a lot of people, I almost immediately regretted not saving up and buying a KTM.

This spring, I ended up selling the WRR for a small loss ($500 less than what I paid). I looked at both the KTM 500 EXC and the KTM 690 Enduro R. I actually liked the 690 best so that's what I bought. I'm absolutely in love the 690. Twisting the throttle could make even Vladimir Putin giddy like a school-girl. It's perfect for the true 50/50 dual sport riding that I do.

Again, nothing against the WR250R, I just prefer a bike with a little more power.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #81
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt33 View Post
OP here. I saw this thread was revived so I thought I'd post an update. Late last year, I ended up buying a 2013 WR250R. While it's a great bike for a lot of people, I almost immediately regretted not saving up and buying a KTM.

This spring, I ended up selling the WRR for a small loss ($500 less than what I paid). I looked at both the KTM 500 EXC and the KTM 690 Enduro R. I actually liked the 690 best so that's what I bought. I'm absolutely in love the 690. Twisting the throttle could make even Vladimir Putin giddy like a school-girl. It's perfect for the true 50/50 dual sport riding that I do.

Again, nothing against the WR250R, I just prefer a bike with a little more power.

/thread

LOL!!!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #82
hairball29
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:

That's interesting. I have a WRR and i love it, but it's a bit underpowered for street use. The Enduro R would be something i'd love to have. One day!
hairball29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #83
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusinCA View Post
The thing that scares me away (the only thing) is the stories I hear from lots of KTM owners. I mean lots of KTM owners, dozens of whom I know personally, and even more on here or other boards. Lots of little problems, fuel pumps, stalling, electrical issues, the list goes on and on.

I have NEVER, not ONCE, EVER, even ONE SINGLE TIME heard of a SINGLE issue with the WR250R. Myabe I didn't capitalize enough of those words... :)
These 2 bikes arent in the same class,comparing them is like comparing a Corolla to a Ferrari.

If you go searching for bikes having problems on the internet,most any bike isnt any good, lots of KTM's run and run and run,but mainly they perform!

A WRR is sensible. Life is short.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #84
ArmyStrongMD
2010 WR250R

Oddometer: 63
Curious how much you still like the KTM?

I bought a WR250R brand new in 2010, sold it in 2011, and had similar feelings about the power. I was impressed with it for a 250, but would have sprung for a WR450R had it been available.

I bought a KTM 500 EXC used last year, I was not really even looking for another bike and I happened to find a used one that had been ridden literally one time. I picked it up for $7,700 and sold it last month for $8,900.

I also own a 2010 CBR1000RR so I am no stranger to big power. I was actually really disappointed with the KTM because everyone talks about them like they are hand built by the devil himself and are trying to kill you with every crack of the throttle. I am not sure if guys who say this have pie plate rear sprockets or something, but this was not the case for me. It did not feel much faster at lower speeds than my 2008 CRF250X, which was dyno'd at 43hp. That bike did have a pie plate rear sprocket though. I just want to dispel the idea that this is some scary fast machine. A literbike can really get my heart racing from the stupid huge power, the KTM was fast for sure, just not crazy like I expected.

The gearing was great for street riding, but too high for woods exploration or single track. I never changed the gearing because I didn't want it to be come a wheelie machine and I ride at least 50% pavement. This thing eats rear tires like mad, while I could put down thousands on the WRR. In 3,000 miles of riding 50/50 dirt and highway I had to buy two rear tires, a new rear sprocket, and a new chain. It also had to go back to the dealer TWICE and apparently they have some lousy 6 month warranty so each trip cost me hundreds of dollars. The first time the bike was stalling out a lot, then one day just would not start. Sadly it decided to die and not start while I was in the woods, alone, and T-Mobile had no coverage. I got to walk the bike a couple of miles to a gas station. Great workout. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The second time it was just running like garbage and would stall at idle rpms. It would often cut out in higher rpms like it was hitting the rev limiter, but it wasn't. This time it was a fuel injector.

I got it back from the shop and put it up on craigslist and sold it. With all the issues though...I must say when the bike was running it was a blast.

This time around I picked up another WR250R for $3500 with most of the mods I wanted to do on my 2010 already done. With the FMF pipe, programmer, filter, and whatever other mods are done (have a list...don't remember just got the thing) it is a LOT faster than stock. The thing I miss most about the KTM is the suspension. I was always fine with the WRR suspension but after owning the 500 EXC the WRR setup feels pretty squishy by comparison. I also LOVE the way the KTM looks, maybe just because I like orange.

So, in summary:

KTM PROS:
Sexy
Fast
Excellent suspension
Gets a lot of attention from other riders (could be con I suppose)

KTM CONS:
Expensive
Unreliable
Really Uncomfortable
Bad gas mileage
Frequent/expensive maintenance
Poor resale value

YAMAHA PROS:
Reliable
Low maintenance
Good gas mileage
Higher resale value
Cheap mods

YAMAHA CONS:
Unimpressive power
Uncomfortable long distances

The only way I would get another KTM would be if I was going to trailer the bike to MX tracks or something to ride. For true dualsport riding it seems pretty pointless to me. In that case...I wouldn't need it to be street legal anyway. I don't trust the bikes reliability to go on a real adventure and for woods/single track you don't need gobs of power.

I find the WRR with mods/tuning and 13/47 gearing to be powerful enough, quite fun alone and adequate 2-up. Overall it is a real swiss army knife and I think I will keep it this time for much longer.

I am also selling my 1000 as I hate street riding in Florida, the drivers are terrible and I have way too many close calls with idiots texting or looking at maps or just gazing at the palm trees. Nobody uses turn signals down here, not even the cops, and I hate having no warning before some idiot comes into my lane and runs me off the road.
ArmyStrongMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #85
ArmyStrongMD
2010 WR250R

Oddometer: 63
Quote:

The WRR is a phenomenal do-it-all Swiss Army knife of a bike that is reliable as can be...

But depending on the riding you're doing it can be like using that little swiss army saw to cut down a tree. For the riding I do, it makes a lot of sense, but I still would love more power, something like a WR450R with a factory 3gal tank and WR250R service intervals. Would still get 50+mpg but actually have some power. If Croom was in my back yard I would probably have kept the KTM as commuting to/from would have not been an issue.

I haven't had the chance to try out a 690 yet, but would like to. I really love the BMW F800GS, but I got to take one for an extended test ride...over the weekend...and it was tough to handle offroad compared to the WRR or any of my prior dirtbikes. I am hoping Kawi updates the KLR with a real powerplant someday or that Honda brings their 650 into this century so I can have a powerful, super reliable, but still quite offroad capable dual sport.
ArmyStrongMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #86
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Interesting that you had issues with the fuel pump then the injector on your 500. Seems almost like it did not have a fuel filter or got some dirty gas. Maybe it was just a bad pump. I now have 1700 miles on my 2014 500 with zero issues, but from new I took out the tiny inline filter and installed a Golan filter. Also I use one of these filler neck filters in the gas tank.

In general I have not heard of 500s having that many issues. Seems like the 690 had more fuel pump problems, but I think that has been sorted in later model years.

Anyway, good luck with the WRR! All bikes are fun!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #87
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrongMD View Post
I picked it up for $7,700 and sold it last month for $8,900.

KTM CONS:
Expensive
Unreliable
Really Uncomfortable
Bad gas mileage
Poor resale value
You sold it for $1200 more than you bought it and it has poor resale value?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #88
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrongMD View Post
Curious how much you still like the KTM?

I bought a WR250R brand new in 2010, sold it in 2011, and had similar feelings about the power. I was impressed with it for a 250, but would have sprung for a WR450R had it been available.

I bought a KTM 500 EXC used last year, I was not really even looking for another bike and I happened to find a used one that had been ridden literally one time. I picked it up for $7,700 and sold it last month for $8,900.

I also own a 2010 CBR1000RR so I am no stranger to big power. I was actually really disappointed with the KTM because everyone talks about them like they are hand built by the devil himself and are trying to kill you with every crack of the throttle. I am not sure if guys who say this have pie plate rear sprockets or something, but this was not the case for me. It did not feel much faster at lower speeds than my 2008 CRF250X, which was dyno'd at 43hp. That bike did have a pie plate rear sprocket though. I just want to dispel the idea that this is some scary fast machine. A literbike can really get my heart racing from the stupid huge power, the KTM was fast for sure, just not crazy like I expected.

The gearing was great for street riding, but too high for woods exploration or single track. I never changed the gearing because I didn't want it to be come a wheelie machine and I ride at least 50% pavement. This thing eats rear tires like mad, while I could put down thousands on the WRR. In 3,000 miles of riding 50/50 dirt and highway I had to buy two rear tires, a new rear sprocket, and a new chain. It also had to go back to the dealer TWICE and apparently they have some lousy 6 month warranty so each trip cost me hundreds of dollars. The first time the bike was stalling out a lot, then one day just would not start. Sadly it decided to die and not start while I was in the woods, alone, and T-Mobile had no coverage. I got to walk the bike a couple of miles to a gas station. Great workout. Turned out to be the fuel pump. The second time it was just running like garbage and would stall at idle rpms. It would often cut out in higher rpms like it was hitting the rev limiter, but it wasn't. This time it was a fuel injector.

I got it back from the shop and put it up on craigslist and sold it. With all the issues though...I must say when the bike was running it was a blast.

This time around I picked up another WR250R for $3500 with most of the mods I wanted to do on my 2010 already done. With the FMF pipe, programmer, filter, and whatever other mods are done (have a list...don't remember just got the thing) it is a LOT faster than stock. The thing I miss most about the KTM is the suspension. I was always fine with the WRR suspension but after owning the 500 EXC the WRR setup feels pretty squishy by comparison. I also LOVE the way the KTM looks, maybe just because I like orange.

So, in summary:

KTM PROS:
Sexy
Fast
Excellent suspension
Gets a lot of attention from other riders (could be con I suppose)

KTM CONS:
Expensive
Unreliable
Really Uncomfortable
Bad gas mileage
Poor resale value

YAMAHA PROS:
Reliable
Low maintenance
Good gas mileage
Higher resale value
Cheap mods

YAMAHA CONS:
Unimpressive power
Uncomfortable long distances

The only way I would get another KTM would be if I was going to trailer the bike to MX tracks or something to ride. For true dualsport riding it seems pretty pointless to me. In that case...I wouldn't need it to be street legal anyway. I don't trust the bikes reliability to go on a real adventure and for woods/single track you don't need gobs of power.

I find the WRR with mods/tuning and 13/47 gearing to be powerful enough, quite fun alone and adequate 2-up. Overall it is a real swiss army knife and I think I will keep it this time for much longer.

I am also selling my 1000 as I hate street riding in Florida, the drivers are terrible and I have way too many close calls with idiots texting or looking at maps or just gazing at the palm trees. Nobody uses turn signals down here, not even the cops, and I hate having no warning before some idiot comes into my lane and runs me off the road.
This is about your 5th thread saying the same thing over and over.
We get it. Ride the WRR.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #89
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
You sold it for $1200 more than you bought it and it has poor resale value?
Your only encouraging him.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #90
rhollamby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
This is about your 5th thread saying the same thing over and over.
We get it. Ride the WRR.
Says the guy who has posted thousands of post saying the wr sucks. We get it, move on to a different bike that you haven't rode but hate.