User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Eric66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Kandanga Ck adventure

Went for a ride today, plan was Kenilworth,Imbil,Kandanga,Widgee,etc only problem was when we got to the airstrip on Kandanga Ck Rd our fearless leader suggested turning left to do 7 creek crossings that were easy and maybe a few hills, sure no worries we said.In the group were 2 WR250's,BMW650 and my 30 year old Tenere, the first few crossings were not to bad then we hit number 7, getting to number 7 involves going down a never ending very steep snotty hill and on the other side is an even steeper, slipperyer lantana infested mongrel.Here's some pic's. Crossing 5 or 6, big bloody rocks! Crossing 7 looks good from here. This was our path across, very slippery,big holes,big rocks. Another view, looks easy hey Believe it or not the creek crossing was a piece of piss compared to the hill after it,this is looking down it, took us an 1hr to get all 4 bikes up, although the Tenere got up 1st go. By the time we popped out back on Kandanga Ck Rd it was 2pm and we had to head home. Thanks to Hamish for a nice ride.Oh and when we got back to Kenilworth a leach as fat as me thumb was on the ground when I got home I found out where it got so fat.
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,239
Looks like an eventful day, Eric.

It was easy through there once, when it got a bit of maintenance. Up until a few years ago my brother still used to truck cattle through there.

This link will show you what it used to be like. (couple of pictures near the start). http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586636 After the Jan. 2011 floods she was washed out but I still got through by myself. Now the second "once in a lifetime weather event" in two years has finished it off (for me, but I suppose it's just made it better for a lot of others!)
I'm going over to Gallangowan Saturday....but not that way.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
philth
philth

Oddometer: 6,080
good stuff!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Apoglies to Jacque!

Top day today gentlemen - sorry about the detour It did end up becoming a bit of a mental and physical challenge - I learnt that it can be hard to come up with a route that dosent become a headache for any of the riders while also providing everyone with some sort of challenge. A case of horses for courses I guess. It was good fun though. At least it stayed dry - rain would have been a game changer Intersting to see how the condition of the track has changed over time Woopwoop. Until next time -

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Reeksy
high state of hiatus

Oddometer: 931
I did the Kandanga Creek road about 2010 with Greendude and remember the gentle creek crossings too Woopwoop. Definitely gnarlier now, but it was the 'short cut' which threw us. Still a pretty nice place to spend a few hours hey You forgot to mention the bush mechanic-ing too

Eric - sorry about the leech mate but it looked so hungry I just couldn't resist dropping it down your shirt when you weren't looking (only kidding).

I discovered the tip-over switch on the WRR resets the clock and trip meter (at least I assume that's what happened) and got home believing it was 4pm when in fact it was 5pm

Reeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Eric66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think the detour off Kandanga Ck road took us 3 hrs to do, once we rejoined Kandanga Ck road and returned to the detour spot took us 10mins Thanks for great day gents and if anyone wants a nice challenge try the detour or go for a ride with Goroka
Regards Eric
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Times

Re: times - detour was 10km and took 3hrs 45min. That included 1/2 for lunch by the river and also the bush repair - modifying a Yamaha clutch lever to fit a BMW. The return run was 7km and took 15min.

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Eric66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got heaps of GoPro footage so I will try and put some up later. That bloody leach had good drink, didn't know it was from me until I took my jacket off at home and it looked like I had been shot in the guts, bleeding like a cut pig
Regards Eric
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Eric66 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hopefully this is a link to a small video of the single lane steep track to creek crossing 7 http://youtu.be/fWuYzYfRRT8
Regards Eric