ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #211
Egodriver71
Rider of something
 
Egodriver71's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Oddometer: 1,970
I've been using it as a commuter helmet and I like it so far.

Biggest issues is I would like to install my old Cardo Scala and I cannot get the clip between the shell and the foam.
__________________
1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator 600 (Yvonne)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (Earl)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #212
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
I've been using it as a commuter helmet and I like it so far.

Biggest issues is I would like to install my old Cardo Scala and I cannot get the clip between the shell and the foam.
Does Cardo give you the stick on 3m option plate?. We didn't have any trouble mounting our Sena SMH10's and they use a very similar plate/clip setup.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 01 FZ1,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #213
Egodriver71
Rider of something
 
Egodriver71's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Does Cardo give you the stick on 3m option plate?. We didn't have any trouble mounting our Sena SMH10's and they use a very similar plate/clip setup.

Galaxy Note 2 on Tapatalk

I think they do with the newer G9.

This is an older Q2. I may just do that with some industrial Velcro!!!
__________________
1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator 600 (Yvonne)
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic (Earl)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
Egodriver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #214
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion
 
BlueLghtning's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Newnan, GA
Oddometer: 4,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egodriver71 View Post
I think they do with the newer G9.

This is an older Q2. I may just do that with some industrial Velcro!!!
We had Q2's at one time and I could have sworn they had the stick on plates too, but its been a couple years now and I sold them off.

Industrial velcro could work.
__________________
BlueLghtning - Follow me on my SPOT Messenger
Mine: 09 DL650, 08 WR250R, 01 FZ1,
Hers: 07 Ninja 650R, 13 CRF250L,
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #215
red450
WEE-A-BOO
 
red450's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Naptown, IN
Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
Got my hi-viz Explorer Adventure lid today. I normally wear an XS but went with the small due to the size chart and all the reviews stating they run small. I think that's due to the internal shape being a narrow long oval.

CycleGear is sending me a pre-paid return label so I can exchange it for an XS.

Besides being a bit too big, I'm pretty impressed with the helmet for only being $99.

Finally got my XS version. I think it's mislabeled as an XS because it fits just like (maybe worse) than the Small I originally ordered. The liner in this helmet is rough and feels cheaper. I'm disappointed because I really liked this lid.

I'm going to return it and just keep wearing my Caberg until I find a lid from a local shop. Guess I'll lookin into the Fly.
__________________
http://7plus8.blogspot.com
self sufficient slackers

red450 screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 07:28 AM Reason: just because.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #216
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,186
Pissed Damn inner shield......I like it at slow speed.....but......

What's the trick for getting the internal shield back on the track.....mine slipped off when I closed it with my hand instead of the push button......I removed the inner shield.......played around with the red spring mechanisms on the left side.......but I can't seem to get it back on track/reset......frustrating....
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #217
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,186
Took it all back yesterdday during the lunch hour....ALL of it (Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Helmet)......I was willing to keep the helmet if they'd let it go for $99 and exchange it for a white one (had some problems with internal/drop down "inner" shield this weekend.....kept jumping off track)....they were willing to exchange but at price of $199 against my $399 package deal.....too rich......

Opted to buy the lower end "Explorer Discovery" helmet (no inner shield).....it's actually a tad more comfy anyway......it was on sale for $69.....in terms of sizing, I wear an XL Shoei street helemt......went with L in both of the BiLT helmets:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/O...3193_59409_199

Picked up a white BiLT Techno Mesh Jacket on Sat.......perfect for our "SUN" Diego weather......wear with internal liner in the morning/mesh in the afternoon.....I used it both Sat and Sunday and was pleased with it:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...1_59524_110877

I have to say the exchange/credit process was painless at Cycle Gear.......I really haven't shopped there much in the past......nice that exchanges are so easy.....

All the house brand "BiLT" gear comes with a 5 year warranty......I don't think they realize how much we ride ........I may never have to buy another mesh jacket
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #218
Cromoth
Inspection due 5_31
 
Cromoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: MA
Oddometer: 528
rain

Anyone use this helmet in rain & how was it?
__________________
"Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul." http://ridingacross.com/
Three move you & the dog!
Cromoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #219
Free-Dog
n00b
 
Free-Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Anywhere the Adventure begins
Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Anyone use this helmet in rain & how was it?
I took the plunge recently and bought the explorer last week, this month they are $199 but CG still had $99 display up I rode the last few days running errands and did some highway to test it out, even hit a good size downpour. Helmet was great, no leaks no rattling (loctite on visor screws) and so far comfortable. It's got DS roots and compared to my dirt MX HJC, a medium fits same for both and the explorer was a bit quieter. I bought the shield from CG, dark smoke tinted, for $15 !!! I really like the dark smoke and the drop down visor combo in direct sunlight. This is one of my favorite helmets now, mostly due to the look and a drop down visor. Its not the quietest nor the best when checking for cars (wind pull on visor) but it is very nice to look at and is comfortable equal to my CL-16 with a better liner feel. I am still in the honeymoon phase but once I have more miles on it we shall see how it stacks up!!!
Free-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #220
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
majorpayne's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Took it all back yesterdday during the lunch hour....ALL of it (Jacket, Pants, Gloves, Helmet)......I was willing to keep the helmet if they'd let it go for $99 and exchange it for a white one (had some problems with internal/drop down "inner" shield this weekend.....kept jumping off track)....they were willing to exchange but at price of $199 against my $399 package deal.....too rich......

Opted to buy the lower end "Explorer Discovery" helmet (no inner shield).....it's actually a tad more comfy anyway......it was on sale for $69.....in terms of sizing, I wear an XL Shoei street helemt......went with L in both of the BiLT helmets:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/O...3193_59409_199

Picked up a white BiLT Techno Mesh Jacket on Sat.......perfect for our "SUN" Diego weather......wear with internal liner in the morning/mesh in the afternoon.....I used it both Sat and Sunday and was pleased with it:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/S...1_59524_110877

I have to say the exchange/credit process was painless at Cycle Gear.......I really haven't shopped there much in the past......nice that exchanges are so easy.....

All the house brand "BiLT" gear comes with a 5 year warranty......I don't think they realize how much we ride ........I may never have to buy another mesh jacket
I also just got the "explorer discovery" helmet. Hard to pass up for $70. I was going to get the AFX fx-39 but I saw this today. My wife has an AFX helmet and there's not an appreciable difference between the two. Due to that I figured what the heck.

I'm a new rider and figured I don't need a $500 helmet now anyway. I will say that I'm disappointed I don't have the sun shield but sunglasses fit my head comfortably with the discovery helmet, so it's not a huge deal.

I'll give a review of it once I wear it a while, but it will be pretty useless as I don't have much experience to compare it to.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #221
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BillMoore's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 179
I've been trying really hard to like mine, but after a little over a month of wearing it, I am having serious misgivings. It just isn't as comfortable as my old helmet (AFX DS-39). I really like all of the features, especially the retractable sun shield, but the quality just isn't there. The padding inside this helmet is a joke, and by the end of a full day ride, I have sore spots all over my head. Also, the base of the helmet is very narrow, and I tend to take my helmet on and off a lot on long day, so my ears are in pain from being almost ripped from my head every time I put the helmet on or off. And it is extremely difficult to get it over my headphones (Shure SE215-K IEMs). So I am seriously thinking about putting it on the shelf as a loaner to friends for when we go ATVing, and go back to the AFX...
__________________
2012 Suzuki DR650SE
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S
BillMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #222
dankatz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoore View Post
I've been trying really hard to like mine, but after a little over a month of wearing it, I am having serious misgivings. It just isn't as comfortable as my old helmet (AFX DS-39). I really like all of the features, especially the retractable sun shield, but the quality just isn't there. The padding inside this helmet is a joke, and by the end of a full day ride, I have sore spots all over my head. Also, the base of the helmet is very narrow, and I tend to take my helmet on and off a lot on long day, so my ears are in pain from being almost ripped from my head every time I put the helmet on or off. And it is extremely difficult to get it over my headphones (Shure SE215-K IEMs). So I am seriously thinking about putting it on the shelf as a loaner to friends for when we go ATVing, and go back to the AFX...
From your description, I think the helmet shape is not a good match for your head shape. It is a little on the narrow side and as someone who has a long oval shaped head I actually like it. It is not my main helmet - I have others for the street, but I like it for off road.
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #223
BillMoore
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BillMoore's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Snohomish, WA
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
From your description, I think the helmet shape is not a good match for your head shape. It is a little on the narrow side and as someone who has a long oval shaped head I actually like it. It is not my main helmet - I have others for the street, but I like it for off road.
That is quite possible. It feels pretty comfortable when I first put it on in the morning, but by the end of the day, I am hurting. Never had this problem with the AFX...
__________________
2012 Suzuki DR650SE
2010 Kawasaki KLX250S
BillMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #224
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer
 
yeroc40's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Neenah, WI
Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Anyone use this helmet in rain & how was it?
Got the chance this weekend and I would say it did not work well for me. It allowed a lot of rain to run down the inside from the top. I don't have a lot of experience in rain riding, so this may be typical. However, it seams that a better sliding seal at the top of the shield could prevent this.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #225
CorNut
Adventurer
 
CorNut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Oddometer: 23
Well I ordered a Large which didn't fit me so the sizing is definitely different than other helmets. It was unbearably tight on my cheeks. Luckily I have a Cycle Gear nearby so I took it in to exchange for a larger one and what they ended up doing was just letting me try different sized cheek pads, while I normally fit a L, in order to have a proper fit I needed the XXL cheek pads. I have to say, I like the helmet now that it fits. My Sena SMH10 mount fit no problem. It would have fit securely without the double sided sticky tape but I used it anyway since I have a feeling this will be my commuter helmet. Unfortunately the mount I have doesn't have swappable mic's, it's just a hardwired boom mic so I ended up purchasing ($30) a new Sena mount that had swappable mic's because apparently I have a horse face and my lips rubbed the boom mic when installed on this helmet. Having the second mount is good because I can leave the old one installed on my other helmet. If you don't have a Cycle Gear nearby I'd be hesitant to purchase the helmet to avoid return shipping since in my case the sizing was off. I love the helmet now that it fits, the speakers for my Sena Bluetooth unit had to be placed just right or else I felt them on the side of my head and it was uncomfortable but with a little manipulation I finally got it. Let's just hope they stay put, if not I'll super glue the damn things. I bought the extra speaker/mic/mount kit for this helmet anyway so they're disposable
__________________
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S
CorNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014