Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #136
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Will insurance cover it, or will you be rebuilding?
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #137
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,111
Sorry, I didn't mean to fill this great thread with my BS.

I'll be rebuilding it with hopefully used parts.
I need to take a day or two before I can have a more detailed look to see what I need.

Now, back to fender mods.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #138
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So after searching high and low for a radiator guard and finding out that kildala no longer makes them I opted to try and fabricate my own. I tried two versions of carbon fiber that were flat and after one was destroyed in a CNC machine I carved the other out by hand. Sadly it did not permit enough air flow and raised the temperature enough to be concerning for when it actually is hot. On ward to more promising things. I fabricated this guard/template tonight out of 18 gauge steel. It is strong enough to run solo but I am going to use it as a template for a carbon fiber guard.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #139
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Out of carbon fiber, drinking beer from a frosty mug!

Will have to wait till next week to make this gnarly little piece as I do not have enough CF fabric on hand. That's alright though as I can reassemble my little heat room to ensure optimal temperature for the curing! I am pretty sure this piece will be one of my cooler pieces I have made. Hope all of you have had a great Thanksgiving and if you're not celebrating it then enjoy your Thursday night.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #140
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
Will have to wait till next week to make this gnarly little piece as I do not have enough CF fabric on hand. That's alright though as I can reassemble my little heat room to ensure optimal temperature for the curing! I am pretty sure this piece will be one of my cooler pieces I have made. Hope all of you have had a great Thanksgiving and if you're not celebrating it then enjoy your Thursday night.
Happy Thanksgiving right back at you. I think I would open the louvers to 45-59 deg. Just to make sure you get enough air in there. Perhaps even 60 deg.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #141
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

The picture doesn't show it very well but they are at 45, if I go past that it exposes the radiator even more as well as gets too close to my high fender modification. I tested this on the bike and it did great. I had 1'F gain at idle and with any movement it was right on or slightly lower. I think the low temp gain was because it is steal and held some extra heat.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #142
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The picture doesn't show it very well but they are at 45, if I go past that it exposes the radiator even more as well as gets too close to my high fender modification. I tested this on the bike and it did great. I had 1'F gain at idle and with any movement it was right on or slightly lower. I think the low temp gain was because it is steal and held some extra heat.
Yeppers... I thought you mentioned the 45 deg. in your pm, but as you said, it does not look 45 on the template. Good idea you tested it on the bike. Gonna be a long week until the composites get there ehhh.....

Erling
Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #143
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I am waiting now, I prepped everything today. Had to to do some grinding and sanding as well and straighten a few bends so it is already. I have moved my manufacturing inside because it will be too chilly but setup a fume hood (made it out of galvanized and a comp fan) to suck up the fumes). Just need the CF now. If it comes out nicely I will make a second o.e and send it your way.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #144
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah I am waiting now, I prepped everything today. Had to to do some grinding and sanding as well and straighten a few bends so it is already. I have moved my manufacturing inside because it will be too chilly but setup a fume hood (made it out of galvanized and a comp fan) to suck up the fumes). Just need the CF now. If it comes out nicely I will make a second o.e and send it your way.
Whoooeeeee...... When I made the bash guard... I build a plywood box, that I later lined with Saltillo floor tiles.... ( mexican tiles) It cost me about $25, then pointed my infrared heater inward... Lined the inside with foil..... Worked fantaboulistic. Cant wait to see the results.

Erling
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #145
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

So I am testing out the fume hood today. Making a spacer for a LeoVince Exhaust, with some spare CF I have and a comparable sized piece of plastic to hold the resin and fibers. Nothing sophisticated but will allow me to test the inside system for heat retention and fume removal.

So out of everything I have made so far, past and present making a plug is about the messiest thing. If you are doing this I highly reccomend that you have everything prepped and ready for use (including spare CF/resin/gloves/paper towels/etc...) Because once you start things get messy!

runnin4melife screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 08:22 AM
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #146
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So I am testing out the fume hood today. Making a spacer for a LeoVince Exhaust, with some spare CF I have and a comparable sized piece of plastic to hold the resin and fibers. Nothing sophisticated but will allow me to test the inside system for heat retention and fume removal.

So out of everything I have made so far, past and present making a plug is about the messiest thing. If you are doing this I highly reccomend that you have everything prepped and ready for use (including spare CF/resin/gloves/paper towels/etc...) Because once you start things get messy!
..... You noticed that too.....

Erling
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #147
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Christmas Mud Guard Raffle

Ladies and Gents I am in the process of making a carbon fiber mud guard in the best of dirtbike fashion. As this is probably the most labor intensive piece I have built (had to disassemble the entire rear of my bike and pull the gas tank so I can make a mold) I figured why not spread my generosity.

To make this fair for all I will pick a number 1-1,000 and if you are interested in this item send me a PM. The piece will be boxed up and mailed to you free of charge (where ever in the world you live) and include any necessary hardware (4 x M8 bolts and washers). It will be a direct bolt on to the the 4 bolt holes on the underside of your subframe so ensure that these are not being utilized for anything else or this will not be compatible.

I am still in the R&D phase so it may not make it by Christmas but it will be there by mid January. I will conclude the raffle by midnight (EST) Dec 15 and notify the winner via PM where I will sort out their contact information and whether they want it clear coated (for the road snob ) or rubberized (truck bed liner for the off road nut )

Best of luck and happy holidays!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #148
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Don't forget to PM me with your lucky number 1-1,000 to have a chance at winning a custom CF mudguard for your F800 GS!

So with the back end of the bike in pieces and the handle bars off for new risers I decided I needed to finish this. Nothing huge but it looks perty!

Photobucket
Old 11-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #149
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Too much to do!

So I got home today, had a mountain of boxes stacked at the door. Many little odds and ends, a set of rox risers that I want to toss down the street and a rim/hub that will soon be outfitted with an excel rim courtesy of Woody's, and a big roll of carbon fiber! I wanted to finish that rad guard so I started doing that at first. And that was a messy job! Hopefully it turns out alright it is curing now.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and this poor rim!

Photobucket
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #150
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 173
Cf rim?

Time for a set of CF rims?