Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #76
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,374
I am glad you listened to the advice and scaled back your route, there is so so much to see in the Alps that it takes numerous trips to experience it, it is a magical place to ride.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #77
DolphinJohn OP
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
I am glad you listened to the advice and scaled back your route, there is so so much to see in the Alps that it takes numerous trips to experience it, it is a magical place to ride.
Most definitely. Without ADV I may have really screwed up and missed all of the beauty I got to enjoy. Thanks to all who made me realize that.

And not only the Alps, the same is true for rural Spain, France, Italy as well. Beautiful riding can be found if you take your time.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #78
DominicDomingo
axe me anything

Oddometer: 7,102
Nice work DJ! I should get in trip planning more often to see who's headed over this way. It would have been cool to meet you in Barcelona.

Your trip is quite similar to one I did in 2010, which I never made a Report for.

DominicDomingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #79
sportbiker2000
sportbiker2000

Oddometer: 42
Wow this is great! Do you still have the GPS files? I want to do a Euro tour and this trip sounds just like what I want to do. I only have 14 days so i would have to scale it back...
sportbiker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #80
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,302
hey John....
you gonna finish this? we're thinking about Pyrenees next year & I want to see your notes

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #81
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Looks like an excellent trip you had there.

Do you have a full map of the route?

Wanting to do an Alps ride maybe this year or next, planning Norway too but could end up a bit expensive

Was there any offroad/gravel roads on your trip?

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #82
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,302
tap tap.. this thing on?

hey John its confirmed for the Pyrenees in September... lets see the rest of the story

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #83
pumpe3
lazy Swede

Oddometer: 54
Great RR, makes me want to go to the alps by bike instead of by cars thats the plan this test.

Skickat fr幩 min HTC One X via Tapatalk 2
pumpe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #84
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
Well, it was time to move on from the Dolomites though there is so much I didn't see. I will be back to this area at some point for sure. Everything about the Dolomites is like motorcycle heaven. The scenery, the people, the food, relatively inexpensive prices, the smooth, clean, winding roads, everything you could want. Sigh.

On the morning of the 14th day of my ride I left Arabba and went back up and over Passo Pordoi and down to the southwest. Just before the town of Molina I turned south on Strada Provinciale 31 towards Passo Manghen.

I had never heard of Passo Manghen, I just saw the road on the map going the same way I was going and it looked like it would be a nice route. As I started south I soon realized that this was different than any of the other passes I had ridden.
The road took me in to a thick forest and as it started to climb it became very narrow, down to a single lane. A narrow single lane at that. Being such a thick forest it was dark and the corners were all very blind, so you really had to be careful because any vehicle coming the other way was dangerous, even other bikes, because of how narrow the road was.

Garda is Italy's largest lake and it's northern half is surrounded by mountains that channel winds up the lake and make for perfect sailing and wind surfing conditions.

John, I'm really enjoying your report. It brings back memories from 2011 when my girlfriend and I went there and rode around F650GS for 7 days. Then rented a car for 10 days to go see family and friends.
I have the same picture you have above. I have family in Riva del Garda, we spent a couple of days there and the town is amazing.
Also passo Manghen was one of our favorites, going thru that forest up and up not being able to see around you kept you guessing and it sure is a small road going up. We had some close encounters with some cars.
Glad to see that other people come back with the same pictures and wishing to go back for another run in the Dolomites.

I was hoping to go to Key West this winter since it's cold here in Atlanta but things happen. I may still go, if I do I may contact you and meet for some cold ones.
Here is my picture. Almost at the same spot
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #85
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbiker2000 View Post
Wow this is great! Do you still have the GPS files? I want to do a Euro tour and this trip sounds just like what I want to do. I only have 14 days so i would have to scale it back...
Sportbiker,
If you only have 14 days I would suggest flying into Milan and starting from there.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #86
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Great!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #87
Vixen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
John, I'm really enjoying your report. It brings back memories from 2011 when my girlfriend and I went there and rode around F650GS for 7 days. Then rented a car for 10 days to go see family and friends.
I have the same picture you have above. I have family in Riva del Garda, we spent a couple of days there and the town is amazing.
Also passo Manghen was one of our favorites, going thru that forest up and up not being able to see around you kept you guessing and it sure is a small road going up. We had some close encounters with some cars.
Glad to see that other people come back with the same pictures and wishing to go back for another run in the Dolomites.

I was hoping to go to Key West this winter since it's cold here in Atlanta but things happen. I may still go, if I do I may contact you and meet for some cold ones.
Here is my picture. Almost at the same spot
that picture really does bring back some great memories. Eddie & I parked the beemers in his cousins driveway and hopped on her bicycles....we pedalled around the lake checking out the sunbathers and beautiful scenery. We stopped on "lovers bridge" to take this picture. Can't wait to go back again.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #88
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Hmmm where's the rest of the story? Don't leave us hanging now halfway your great report...
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #89
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
that picture really does bring back some great memories. Eddie & I parked the beemers in his cousins driveway and hopped on her bicycles....we pedalled around the lake checking out the sunbathers and beautiful scenery. We stopped on "lovers bridge" to take this picture. Can't wait to go back again.
I didnt know that you guys have family over there , I was born 90 KM north of Riva del Garda .
I will be there in September
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #90
DolphinJohn OP
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I have been real busy working and racing so I sort of forgot I never finished.

I still don't have time to finish the report in detail but I will post the remaining pics from the ride back to Barcelona.

The highlight was the Gorges du Verdon.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote