ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Are you better off now than you were 4 years ago?
Yes 65 54.17%
No 55 45.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #481
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Yeah, I will be first in line. As I said I would give my life or my insurance in a minute for my self employed son (and wife). I don't want to be eaten though, cause my will says I will be placed in my kayak and sent out to drift in the Gulf Stream near the Bahamas. It is funny that such terms as 'death panels' get played over and over again, but kids and young mothers who can't get health care at all now are not terribly amused by the GOPers fanning the limp brains of their ilk with the term. The article was making fun of these GOPers and pointing out that we have a real problem with the health care system that both Obama and Ryan recognize and neither of these politicians or none of their associates recommended death panels. The writer was trying to catch attention of knee jerkers such as TheDude.

First of all, the article was about MediCARE, not medicaid. It does not involve "young mothers", so you're argument is nothing more than silly baiting BS.

Medicare costs are what the article refers to. The care of seniors and elderly. And when a "think tanker" such as Rattner starts throwing around terms such as rationing costs among seniors (which is what the article was about, remember? Not doey eyed young brides who are pregnant, but seniors) and is implying that "we can't treat them all, cuz they're too expensive", then what is he really talking about? He's talking about deciding which ones live and which ones die based on which ones get the rations and which ones don't.

It's a simple argument that Rattner lays out for all to read, yet you insist this has someting to do with Medicaid and health care for the young and pregnant.

The article is, was, and always will be about death panels. The goal of these Rattner types is to get you used to friendly terms like "rationing among the elderly", and apparently its working.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #482
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
That's not a very high bar for the writer to set.

Keep 'em coming Jeff. Keep 'em coming.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #483
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
Nice work PrairieSickle.
It's far more efficient to learn from mistakes the first time around.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #484
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
It's far more efficient to learn from mistakes the first time around.

This one wasn't a mistake. It was decidedly on purpose.

Two very, very different things.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #485
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
First of all, the article was about MediCARE, not medicaid. It does not involve "young mothers", so you're argument is nothing more than silly baiting BS.

Medicare costs are what the article refers to. The care of seniors and elderly. And when a "think tanker" such as Rattner starts throwing around terms such as rationing costs among seniors (which is what the article was about, remember? Not doey eyed young brides who are pregnant, but seniors) and is implying that "we can't treat them all, cuz they're too expensive", then what is he really talking about? He's talking about deciding which ones live and which ones die based on which ones get the rations and which ones don't.

It's a simple argument that Rattner lays out for all to read, yet you insist this has someting to do with Medicaid and health care for the young and pregnant.

The article is, was, and always will be about death panels. The goal of these Rattner types is to get you used to friendly terms like "rationing among the elderly", and apparently its working.
I guess you don't get it. The rising costs of both Medicare and Medicaid are linked in the budget process. If you give all procedures to somebody who is going to die no matter what medical science can spend on them, then you subtract the money that could give a young woman needed procedures to allow her to live a fruitful life. If you don't understand the problem that way then you are totally involved with yourself. And see if you can make your points without using big caps. That is pretty juvy.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #486
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I guess you don't get it. The rising costs of both Medicare and Medicaid are linked in the budget process. If you don't understand the problem that way then you are totally involved with yourself. And see if you can make your points without using big caps. That is pretty juvy.

Yeah, because that's what our government is good at: taking money they save in one area and spending it wisely in another area

And based on your rationale Doc, all items of the Federal budget are linked (I used italics instead of caps so as not to upset your delicate sensibilities). Money we spend on interstate hiway maintenance could be spent to "give a young woman needed procedures to allow her to live a fruitful life". Money spent on food stamps could be used to help that same woman's surgery.

But since the alleged "death panel" component of Obamacare is limited to Medicare, I thought we could limit the scope of the discussion to Medicare.

And you state
"If you give all procedures to somebody who is going to die no matter what medical science can spend on them, then you subtract the money that could give a young woman needed procedures to allow her to live a fruitful life."
I'm in agreement that if we eliminate private insurance and go with this single-payer type model that means there is a finite pool of funds from which to spend and that decisons will have to be made, and they will be made by somebody other than family members obviously. So that brings us back to the point (based on your observations above) that some person or persons other than the family or the care giver will have to decide who is allocated the resources and who is denied them. If it is a committe or board, how is it not a defacto death panel?

That's the part I'm trying to get my arms around: Who is it that's deciding that someone is beyond the point of further medical investment and who is still a viable investment?

So if we can stop the insults about intelligence and reading ability for a moment, help me understand it better. I'm done fighting it because it is now the law of the land (unless we can fight for state's rights like with marijuana) and it's here to stay. Help me understand from your perspective why this is better than a family and a doctor getting together and making a decision together.

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA

TheDudeAbides screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 03:42 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #487
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,510
Quote:
This one wasn't a mistake. It was decidedly on purpose.

Two very, very different things.
Oh? The difference between "big" and "maximum"?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #488
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Oh? The difference between "big" and "maximum"?

Now that is funny.

And you know why it's funny? Because it was established on here several weeks ago that it is ok to call someone a douche or douchey. It's almost encouraged!

But to call someone a name that is similar to a name that hits "close to home" is a much worse insult and is verbotten.

But speaking of douche sketches, it's hard to beat Tim and Eric's LA Guyz!

2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #489
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,534
Quote:
Now that is funny.

And you know why it's funny? Because it was established on here several weeks ago that it is ok to call someone a douche or douchey. It's almost encouraged!

But to call someone a name that is similar to a name that hits "close to home" is a much worse insult and is verbotten.

Actually, bringing in one's SO into a stupid internet fight *is* verboten.

If you (or anyone) can't figure out why that rule exists, you're way beyond douchey.

Quote:
2. Attacking family members means a quick exit.
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #490
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
Nice work PrairieSickle.

We prefer HellRider.

Btw - since someone mentioned it, I would close every fast food restaurant in a heartbeat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #491
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
Actually, bringing in one's SO into a stupid internet fight *is* verboten.

If you (or anyone) can't figure out why that rule exists, you're way beyond douchey.
A fight? Attacking? Bennifer, Brangelina.......wow, that's a stretch.

That's why this should have been punted long ago, some see it as a fight!

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #492
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieRider View Post
We prefer HellRider.

Btw - since someone mentioned it, I would close every fast food restaurant in a heartbeat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
And why would you close every fast food restaurant in a heartbeat, Paula?
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #493
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
The election is over!! I know its not prime riding season, but can't people just give it a break. You aren't going to change anybodies mind anyway.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #494
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,925
There needs to be a party. A party where inmates actually meet, greet and interact with other human beings face to face.

Then the wenis factor will be minimized here in Rockies.

See you at Ethans!

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #495
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
There needs to be a party. A party where inmates actually meet, greet and interact with other human beings face to face.

Then the wenis factor will be minimized here in Rockies.

See you at Ethans!
And my wife and kids!!

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote