Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
I have always wondered what the vest cruiser or harley riders wear is for.They offer little if any protection.I am not putting them down just wonder why ?
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I have always wondered what the vest cruiser or harley riders wear is for.They offer little if any protection.I am not putting them down just wonder why ?
It's just a style thing, nothing to do with "protection", which is a common obsession of non-Harley riders at which they throw vast amounts of money.

One doesn't wish to presume, but one would think there were far more important things to "always" wonder about than why some Harley riders wear vests. Like, for example, why Hispanic riders in Southern California appear to favor oversized checked flannel shirts. Now there's a conundrum worth pondering.
OldBoldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #18
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
. They sort of have a uniform, don’t they? They nearly all wore leather chaps and leather vests, all branded “Harley-Davidson.” A huge majority wore bandanas, also HD branded. A few wore helmets, but almost always those little pots. All t-shirts worn said “Harley-Davidson.” All jackets said “Harley-Davidson.”

After a while, it just seemed ludicrous. These “bikers” aren’t individuals. I don’t know the proper term — throng, horde, pack, gaggle. Whatever. They’re like ants in a super-colony, all working toward some unknown objective.

Now look, I’m all for individual freedom. But these people are followers. I can’t think of a more accurate term. The peer pressure must be worse than in junior high among teenage girls. “Dude, you’re wearing a waterproof textile jacket with armor? What’s wrong with you? Girlfriend, you are so out of fashion! Go buy yourself a branded leather vest right now! And a bandana, bitch!”

But to each their own. I tried to avoid being judgmental, but it’s just comical to me now how these bikers dress. I kid you not, I’d say 75% of riders were wearing bandanas. That’s just freaking ridiculous. How much peer pressure has to be exerted for a grown man to wear a bandana?

think they all look like ass clowns
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
think they all look like ass clowns
I'm sure they'd be concerned to hear that. I wonder what they think YOU look like. Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #20
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,812
Mis-perceptions

I think we could all point out several stereotypes and preconceptions, about all sorts of riders. I know that all BMW riders don't go to Starbucks. Well, at least one doesn't. But that sort of cliche is out there. These stereotypes get started somewhere.

Anyway, I'm a walking cliche: turned 40, had a mid-life crisis, bought a very fast motorcycle. You know, in order to re-live my youth and score hot young chicks. (Please don't point out how pathetic it all sounds, even to me.)

I could have easily gone the Harley route when buying my first bike. I just didn't, because Harleys just aren't my style. If they're your style, good on ya, mate.

As BoldOldPilot stated, I should get over myself, so I'm trying to do just that. Preconceptions are inevitable. Just because I point out these stereotypes doesn't mean I'm a judgmental asshat. Okay, it doesn't only mean that.

I believe a sociological study would probably just reinforce quite a few of our own preconceptions. It would definitely be interesting.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I think we could all point out several stereotypes and preconceptions, about all sorts of riders. I know that all BMW riders don't go to Starbucks. Well, at least one doesn't. But that sort of cliche is out there. These stereotypes get started somewhere.

Anyway, I'm a walking cliche: turned 40, had a mid-life crisis, bought a very fast motorcycle. You know, in order to re-live my youth and score hot young chicks. (Please don't point out how pathetic it all sounds, even to me.)

I could have easily gone the Harley route when buying my first bike. I just didn't, because Harleys just aren't my style. If they're your style, good on ya, mate.

As BoldOldPilot stated, I should get over myself, so I'm trying to do just that. Preconceptions are inevitable. Just because I point out these stereotypes doesn't mean I'm a judgmental asshat. Okay, it doesn't only mean that.

I believe a sociological study would probably just reinforce quite a few of our own preconceptions. It would definitely be interesting.
A good deal of what we hear and see is the normal human "pack mentality" at work. Most people have a need to feel that they belong to a group, and the natural extension of that is the need to feel that they belong to the best group, thus relegating all the other groups to the status of, to use Jnich77's inelegant phrase, "ass clowns".

I know exactly why I ride a Harley now (though I've owned everything from BSA's to Hondas in the past). It's all because when I was about six years old some strapping neighborhood idol lifted me up and sat me down on the seat of his brand new, streamer and saddlebag-bedecked 1950 Harley-Davidson...and I never got over it. Seriously. I still remember it.

I'm also of a generation that remembers what actual engines are supposed to sound like, and am no particular fan of technology for its own sake. Thus, my 2004 BMW R1150RT was my last BMW, as since then they've turned into rolling technology test-beds in my view. For the same reason, my Porsche has a basic manual transmission, manual air conditioning, and manual seats. Similarly, I'm glad I retired from flying before Boeing went to all-glass cockpits in the 747.

That said, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy not only of "to each his own", but "to each his own with respect". Except, of course, for the shorts-and-flipflop adorned samples of what resides at the botton of the gene pool. Respect people's tastes and choices no matter how silly I might find them, absolutely. Respect abject stupidity, absolutely not.

OldBoldPilot screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:08 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
I'm sure they'd be concerned to hear that. I wonder what they think YOU look like. Any ideas?
I could honestly care less what they think. Grown men playing "dress up" on the weekends doesn't really constitute a demographic of society that I am out to impress.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #23
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I know exactly why I ride a Harley now (though I've owned everything from BSA's to Hondas in the past). It's all because when I was about six years old some strapping neighborhood idol lifted me up and sat me down on the seat of his brand new, streamer and saddlebag-bedecked 1950 Harley-Davidson...and I never got over it. Seriously. I still remember it.
See, you are the kind of Harley rider I have nothing but respect for.. the accountant who shaves his head so he can look like a "biker" on the weekend is the ones I snicker at...lol.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #24
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
See, you are the kind of Harley rider I have nothing but respect for.. the accountant who shaves his head so he can look like a "biker" on the weekend is the ones I snicker at...lol.
Retired Marine pilot, 2 tours Vietnam, another 20 years flying 747s commercially. Keep snickering, sonny.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #25
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Retired Marine pilot, 2 tours Vietnam, another 20 years flying 747s commercially. Keep snickering, sonny.

Aaa.. let the dick swinging begin...lol
Old 09-30-2012, 11:07 PM   #26
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Aaa.. let the dick swinging begin...lol
Sorry, you don't qualify to enter that kind of contest. Shame that you've polluted Mr. Gone's interesting thread. I'm out.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #27
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, you don't qualify to enter that kind of contest. Shame that you've polluted Mr. Gone's interesting thread. I'm out.
You might want to go read that again...lol.

Jnich77 screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:15 AM
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #28
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,384

i was there on a beemer & had a ball

there were 2 harley guys that talked shit about my beemer all wkend (basssturds)

course these were the 2 guys i was riding with

bmw dealer? where?

was also at the rally in your town, i forget the name it was a supposed to be a bluegrass shindig

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #29
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post

It's more than likely just part of their "look" much like the guys on sport bikes with knee pucks that have nary a scratch on them or the people with fully farkled GS1200A's donning high viz gear and flip face helmets even though they have never strayed outside of a 40 miles radius from their homes. Even though some of the gear can do something (and many use that as their justification to wear the uniform pushed on them by their peers) does not mean that it ever will or that it's intended use is the real reason that the gear was purchased.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond

Ginger Beard screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 06:26 AM
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #30
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
I used to wear a vest quite a bit. Helps with the core temp a bit. Of course now we have all the fancy textile jackets that have zip off sleeves, vents and such. Dumped the vest a few years back when I switched from leather to textile.

I don't wave at anybody unless I'm on open road, in traffic both hands stay on the bars. Nertz to those who are offended.