Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #31
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I used to wear a vest quite a bit. Helps with the core temp a bit. Of course now we have all the fancy textile jackets that have zip off sleeves, vents and such. Dumped the vest a few years back when I switched from leather to textile.

I don't wave at anybody unless I'm on open road, in traffic both hands stay on the bars. Nertz to those who are offended.
I'm never offended by someone choosing not to wave. I assume they have a reason: both hands stay on the bars, they're looking through a curve, just don't want to. I'm good with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #32
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
Retired Marine pilot, 2 tours Vietnam, another 20 years flying 747s commercially. Keep snickering, sonny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77
See, you are the kind of Harley rider I have nothing but respect for.. the accountant who shaves his head so he can look like a "biker" on the weekend is the ones I snicker at...lol.

OldBoldPilot, I actually believe Jnich77 was paying you a compliment here. He says he has "nothing but respect for." Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's complimentary in my book. Unless you are a shaven-head accountant who only riders on the weekend.

I wish you'd stick around the thread. I love dialogue of any sort.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post

bmw dealer? where?
The BMW motorcycle dealer in Bentonville is at 3803 Wishing Spring Road, Bentonville, AR 72712. If you go north on 540 until it literally stops being a "highway" and becomes city street and take the first right turn (at a stoplight, I believe), then the next right about 100 yards down the road, the BMW motorcycle dealer is hidden among some other buildings back there. Not hard to find, just sort of hard to see. Then again, you might not want to rely on my directions; I was listening to the Navigator app on my phone through some earbuds, and I was just going wherever the sexy British lady in my head told me to go. I don't know the Fayetteville/Bentonville area very well at all. But the sexy British lady found it for me!!!

Glad you had an excellent time!!!

Regarding the shindig here, I probably missed it. I'm pretty oblivious to rallies and shindigs and whatnot. Nothing against them or those who attend, I just don't ever think about it. I hope you found some fantastic roads to ride, because northern Arkansas is a great place for riders.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #34
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Quote:
See, you are the kind of Harley rider I have nothing but respect for.. the accountant who shaves his head so he can look like a "biker" on the weekend is the ones I snicker at...lol.

OldBoldPilot, I actually believe Jnich77 was paying you a compliment here. He says he has "nothing but respect for." Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but that's complimentary in my book. Unless you are a shaven-head accountant who only riders on the weekend.

I wish you'd stick around the thread. I love dialogue of any sort.
Yep, you read it correctly...lol.

Getting back on topic, I agree 100% with the point you were trying to make. They are followers, just like EMO kids, and those guys who can't seem to figure out how to wear a belt...lol. The funny part is when they act as if they are entitled to some kind of culturally elite status, as if buying a bike based solely on the status of the name on the tank and wearing clichéd attire

Jnich77 screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:15 AM
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #35
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Talking

As far as waving goes I wave at pretty much everyone at the start of a ride, but by the end of the ride I am getting tired of waving, usually see lots of bikes around here.

I do however wave at any bike that is orange.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post

Getting back on topic, I agree 100% with the point you were trying to make. They are followers, just like EMO kids, and those guys who can't seem to figure out how to wear a belt...lol. The funny part is when they act as if they are entitled to some kind of culturally elite status, as if buying a bike based solely on the status of the name on the tank and wearing clichéd attire
Exactly! That sort of culturally elite status is reserved for people who have MV Agustas.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnich77 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Nope, not an accountant. Jnich77, it wouldn't be the first time I went into "Ready, Fire, Aim" mode. Peace.
OldBoldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly! That sort of culturally elite status is reserved for people who have MV Agustas.
Or Ducatis. That said, there are always the outliers who prove the rule by being the exception. One of the best trip reports I've ever read here is being written by a fellow called AntiHero who's doing a coast to coast trip on a Ducati. And, some of the best road riders I've known have been Gold Wingers.

There are going to be followers in every group. I simply discount them. There are also going to be truly interesting, skilled and experienced riders in every group. It's usually easy to tell which ones they are. They're the people I like to talk to on the road; doesn't matter what they ride. It might be a Ural with a sidecar, it might be a 250cc Yamaha, who cares? What's important is that they're out there, just like you. That alone sets them apart from 99% of the population.

Oh, and my Harley looks brand new, but I've put over 40,000 miles on it so far, and been across the country several times. I'm 69, and it -- and me -- are still rolling strong.

By the way, if you live in a helmet state, you may have noticed that more and more Harley riders have taken to wear full-face or flip-up helmets. Personally, I wear a Shoei Neotec (in black, of course); we sneer at novelty half-helmet riders just like you do -- but only when they're not looking
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #39
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Nope, not an accountant. Jnich77, it wouldn't be the first time I went into "Ready, Fire, Aim" mode. Peace.

Its all gravy, no offense taken...lol.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #40
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Or Ducatis. That said, there are always the outliers who prove the rule by being the exception. One of the best trip reports I've ever read here is being written by a fellow called AntiHero who's doing a coast to coast trip on a Ducati. And, some of the best road riders I've known have been Gold Wingers.

There are going to be followers in every group. I simply discount them. There are also going to be truly interesting, skilled and experienced riders in every group. It's usually easy to tell which ones they are. They're the people I like to talk to on the road; doesn't matter what they ride. It might be a Ural with a sidecar, it might be a 250cc Yamaha, who cares? What's important is that they're out there, just like you. That alone sets them apart from 99% of the population.

Oh, and my Harley looks brand new, but I've put over 40,000 miles on it so far, and been across the country several times. I'm 69, and it -- and me -- are still rolling strong.

By the way, if you live in a helmet state, you may have noticed that more and more Harley riders have taken to wear full-face or flip-up helmets. Personally, I wear a Shoei Neotec (in black, of course); we sneer at novelty half-helmet riders just like you do -- but only when they're not looking
I'm keeping up with AntiHero's ride report, also. He's a very interesting guy, and a pretty good writer.

I don't actually sneer at half-helmet and/or no helmet riders, I just hope they have their life insurance paid up. I live in a state where you don't have to wear a helmet if you're 21 or older, and a lot of guys I know forgo wearing a helmet (for whatever reason), and they have a wife and kids, which totally baffles me. Seems sort of selfish, I guess, at least to me.

If you're ever rolling through Northern Arkansas, let me know. I'll buy the first beer and we can talk about the sociological aspects of motorcyclists. Like I said, I love to dialogue and I'll be the first person to laugh at myself.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Quote:
I'm keeping up with AntiHero's ride report, also. He's a very interesting guy, and a pretty good writer.

I don't actually sneer at half-helmet and/or no helmet riders, I just hope they have their life insurance paid up. I live in a state where you don't have to wear a helmet if you're 21 or older, and a lot of guys I know forgo wearing a helmet (for whatever reason), and they have a wife and kids, which totally baffles me. Seems sort of selfish, I guess, at least to me.

If you're ever rolling through Northern Arkansas, let me know. I'll buy the first beer and we can talk about the sociological aspects of motorcyclists. Like I said, I love to dialogue and I'll be the first person to laugh at myself.
It would be my pleasure.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #42
STinner
any direction will do

Oddometer: 62
ah crap now i cant remember what i wanted to say.............I've had the wing for just 3 mnths. went up to Bar Harbour for a week before Labor Day. 2675 miles later i think back on who waved and who didnt........
most couples on HD's waved but the ones who never do are the squids and the guys who ride ducati's.
as far as playing with all the knobs on the wing's dash, i'm still trying to figure out how to get the back massage button to work...........
STinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Cracks me up

Most bikers are friendy, and seem to slowly be leaving the "my bike is American made, so it's better routine". Rarely I see people who are that ignorant still. I point out to them that Polaris/Victories are made in Mexico now. I also point out that not all Harley parts are made in the U.S. either. It for some reason really makes the owners mad as hell. You know you shop at Wal Mart, and 96% of the stuff they sale comes from China, so I really don't see what the difference. Hey, if Kawasaki or Yamaha sold a pick up truck I would probably buy it.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #44
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,401
my buddy asked me why i rode the old beemer instead of the harley

told i wanted to be able to tell which one was mine when i got ready to leave

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #45
Mr_Gone OP