Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #61
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,504
I was there on my bmwr115rs. How many of you got caught in the awful fog and later rain on the higher elevations of 71. I saw a lot of under dressed riders that were not having a good time. Looking very cold and miserable. Slow riders were even more in evidence than normal, as the wet roads really slowed down what riders were on the road. I had a nice ride, and proper gear made a wet ride comfortable, just all the fog to deal with. Passed a lot of riders.

Sunday rode back to Joplin, and detour thru eureka springs. I was glad to see they paved the horrible tar snake section of 62. 74 is heavily tar snakes and a lot of them were wet. Not fun. Between the dry parts of 74, 71, and 62 and 178, I managed to cup a nearly new shinko raven and drag my footpeg a couple of times. All with the panniers mounted an loaded. And the demo bike rides are always lots of fun. Victory makes a very nice running bike,

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #62
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
I was there on my bmwr115rs. How many of you got caught in the awful fog and later rain on the higher elevations of 71. I saw a lot of under dressed riders that were not having a good time. Looking very cold and miserable. Slow riders were even more in evidence than normal, as the wet roads really slowed down what riders were on the road. I had a nice ride, and proper gear made a wet ride comfortable, just all the fog to deal with. Passed a lot of riders.

Sunday rode back to Joplin, and detour thru eureka springs. I was glad to see they paved the horrible tar snake section of 62. 74 is heavily tar snakes and a lot of them were wet. Not fun. Between the dry parts of 74, 71, and 62 and 178, I managed to cup a nearly new shinko raven and drag my footpeg a couple of times. All with the panniers mounted an loaded. And the demo bike rides are always lots of fun. Victory makes a very nice running bike,

Rod
I missed the fog, but I was riding through in the mid-afternoon. Ozark roads are fantastic, aren't they? Even on my FJR I can drag pegs occasionally.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #63
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
50,000 Harleys and 1 FJR (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
Retired Marine pilot, 2 tours Vietnam, another 20 years flying 747s commercially. Keep snickering, sonny.
OBP,

Thank you for your service, sir. You may have helped me out a sticky situation over 40 years ago. Ah, hell, I was Army but I know you woulda helped an old dogface. You jarheads are like that.

Mike
RVN '69-'70

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #64
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
you could just tell this guy wasn’t a weekend wannabe dentist/accountant poseur rider
)

I started riding about 3 years ago. Have riden in 6 states and put 41,000 miles on my bikes. Question - Will I always be a poseur since I am an accountant?
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #65
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
)

I started riding about 3 years ago. Have ridden in 6 states and put 41,000 miles on my bikes. Question - Will I always be a poseur since I am an accountant?
I believe there is a complicated and highly clichéd questionnaire which must be completed before I can answer that loaded question, but based on your mileage my initial pre-assessment answer is no. But since I am also an accountant, I'll have to crunch the numbers first.

1.) Do you ride a Harley?
2.) Do you wear only a Harley-branded bandana as safety equipment?
3.) Do you wear a Harley-branded leather vest?
4.) Do you ride only on weekends?
5.) Do you stop at every bar?
6.) Do you ride only when the weather is nice?
7.) Are you mean to accountants who don't ride a Harley, like me?
8.) Will you and your friends run me down and beat the living snot out of me if I pass your group on a curvy road?
9.) Do you have an annual "Harley chrome" budget on a spreadsheet?

If you can answer "No" to any question above, then you are not a poseur.

Ride on.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #66
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot View Post
It's just a style thing, nothing to do with "protection", which is a common obsession of non-Harley riders at which they throw vast amounts of money.

One doesn't wish to presume, but one would think there were far more important things to "always" wonder about than why some Harley riders wear vests. Like, for example, why Hispanic riders in Southern California appear to favor oversized checked flannel shirts. Now there's a conundrum worth pondering.
Well, it's "mostly" a style thing, but many guys I know who are in that category, (and they'll never admit this), wear those leather vests to keep their T-shirts from flapping up in the wind and exposing their big bellies....and to hold patches.
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #67
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
Well, it's "mostly" a style thing, but many guys I know who are in that category, (and they'll never admit this), wear those leather vests to keep their T-shirts from flapping up in the wind and exposing their big bellies....and to hold patches.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #68
OldBoldPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
OBP,

Thank you for your service, sir. You may have helped me out a sticky situation over 40 years ago. Ah, hell, I was Army but I know you woulda helped an old dogface. You jarheads are like that.

Mike
RVN '69-'70
Welcome home, Mike. As everyone knows, one of the Marines' greatest pleasures has always been helping the Army out of tight spots. I hope I helped you...or at least, some of your brothers. Semper Fi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-LA View Post
Funny thought: With the big bellied Harley guys, the problem is T-shirts flying up in front. With the soon-to-be-organ-donor sport bike riders, the problem is T-shirts flying up in back. Hmmm...motorcycling can be SO complicated! As to the patches, my solution is to pin them to a wide red sash. Who cares if, instead of a pirate, I look like an admiral out of Gilbert and Sullivan? Hey, I ride my own ride!
OldBoldPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #69
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
All these dynamics are interesting. I'm a Ducati guy, and am pretty brand loyal. I don't disrespect anyone else's choice, and there are other brands I also quite like, and I'll be happy to ride with (or especially to take a ride on) anything. I just happen to like Ducs best because they fit my physical size very well, and fit my riding needs and style best.

In addition to riding a lot, I do go to the Starbucks gatherings and bike nights, and belong to several Duc clubs, and enjoy those as well. And it is interesting to see the mix. There are a lot of Duc riders who are mature, fast, skilled, knowledgable, and real riders. And there are a lot of snotty poseurs in all Duc-branded gear, and designer sunglasses and all, who are there to show off their purchasing power and partake in a marketed "lifestyle".

Whatever.

An amusing subdynamic is that I am *not* a polish-and-clean sort of guy, and my Duc has been my daily transportation for over 19 years, in any weather, mostly parked outside, and looks like it's been through a war or two. When I come to a bike night or a bike show, it gets a lot of attention. The rider types generally like it. The poseur types fall into two groups -- some react with disdain and make comments. ("Why would you even bring out a bike that looks like that?" said one guy on Duc Island at the Laguna Seca MotoGP in 2009. I had it there on display for a bike contest sponsored by Ducati North America, won my class "wild card", and got about $500 in swag for it.) But some of the poseur guys see the rider types liking it, and decide they wish also to pose as real riders and like it as loudly as they can to show others that they appreciate real riding also. And for my part, I ride a lot and that's my main reason for being a biker, but I also do enjoy the attention and kudos I get from people when I show it off, so I'm posing as well, just doing it with what I've done, not just what I've bought.

Humans are a funny species.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #70
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Humans are a funny species.

PhilB
+1

I don't know which category I fall into, but I want a Ducati to ride the hell out of it. I think they're a great combination of art and function. When I see a Duc, I feel envious of the guys with Ducatis, but I don't begrudge them their machines for one second.

PhilB — pix of your ride? I'd love to see it.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #71
RDseize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
There

This.............cool - Dig it,
RDseize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #72
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
+1

I don't know which category I fall into, but I want a Ducati to ride the hell out of it. I think they're a great combination of art and function. When I see a Duc, I feel envious of the guys with Ducatis, but I don't begrudge them their machines for one second.

PhilB — pix of your ride? I'd love to see it.
Is there any way to post any pics here without having to go get a photo-whatever account somewhere?

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
Old 10-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #73
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,977
Quote:
Is there any way to post any pics here without having to go get a photo-whatever account somewhere?

PhilB

Imageshack is free...Now let's see those pics.
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #74
Mr_Gone OP
FIGJAM

Quote:

PhilB
I believe you have to have a photo hosting account. Like Ginger Beard said, Imageshack is free. So is Photobucket. It's pretty easy... even I can do it.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #75
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Alright, let's see if this works.

Edit: cool; that worked. Below, (a) turning over 200K, (b) signed by Miguel Galluzzi, the designer of the Monster, (c) featured in Motorcyclist Dec 2009.

PhilB