Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #76
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,952
I have noticed that my bike turns differently depending on which way. I do think this is related to the rear wheel off set. And how about the uneven wear on the tread of the rear tire? I think that is part of it. But the being able to let go the handlebars and pilot by leaning a little? That might be something else. I have been getting a little better at letting go. But it is still in only seconds time frames.

I'm not trying to act crazy or something. Just think the bike should be rideable with no hands at some speeds on the highway. Why not?

If you can ride your bike hands free after these mods then I guess the rest of us will have to follow.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #77
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

I'm not trying to act crazy or something. Just think the bike should be rideable with no hands at some speeds on the highway. Why not?
Mile after mile after mile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckqHPQBLslk
Old 03-07-2013, 06:13 AM   #78
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,390
I vaguely recall a column from a motorcycle mag long ago that described riding in Australia with your eyes closed. The roads were so straight and the chances of meeting other traffic was so unlikely that you could do it without worry.

The rub was about seeing how long you could go without freaking out and imagining that a truck pulling three trailers in tandem, ten kangaroos, or an airliner, was coming your way.

It was one of those well written pieces that put you in the scene, unlike this.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #79
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Um, I can't quite see the logic in that, no offense meant in any way. While I'll agree that a road bike (versus a road race bike) doesn't need perfect alignment (and that's why I didn't try to get the last little bit, plus the tolerances of strings and rulers being what they are . . .), it was quite noticeable that the wheels were out of alignment. If I took my hands off of the bars, the bike would strongly pull to one side, and it would turn easier one way than the other (i.e., fall into corners one way, and require more handlebar pressure the other direction). Whether or not it is worth the bother to correct is up to the individual--to me, it was.

Thanks for the kudos.
Lots of Airheads with the stock offset do not have those issues. In fact, virtually all of them. Expect your handling symptoms are due to other factors. But I expect as well your level of care in building the bike up will resolve all issues. And no problem at all adjusting out most of the offset as long as clearances are verified. It just is not necessary and is not the reason for poor tracking.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #80
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Lots of Airheads with the stock offset do not have those issues. In fact, virtually all of them. Expect your handling symptoms are due to other factors. But I expect as well your level of care in building the bike up will resolve all issues. And no problem at all adjusting out most of the offset as long as clearances are verified. It just is not necessary and is not the reason for poor tracking.
I did make an assumption when I responded to your first post, sorry.

It remains to be seen whether or not this will resolve the issue, but we should find out, as I rode it quite a bit between the initial round of modifications and these recent changes are the only chassis mods that will be done before it returns to the road in a couple of weeks.

I think I will check the camber of both wheels too, just to ensure that they are in vertical alignment. There is a VERY slight misalignment of the rear wheel relative to the centerline of bike. I have no way to quantify it, but I could tell it was there when I was trying to get the front end/wheel pointed straight between the strings coming from the rear wheel--but it is so minor I doubt it would affect handling at real world speeds.

But I'll admit this last bit is just information, there's nothing more I plan to do in this area (unless I find something bent somewhere). I just wanted to get the wheels in line with each other because I was in the process of building the wheels and it wasn't that much more work to align them. I'm no pedant, there's too much other stuff to do, not to mention the point of it all--riding it!

I appreciate the input.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #81
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Arrrrgggh!

So, back to the engine yesterday, and yet another simple job that has turned into a major PITA!

When I did the initial teardown, I only did a visual inspection of the oil pump and it looked good--only light scoring in a couple of places, so the plan was to just replace the o-ring and button it up. Well, I don't know why, but I decided to put a straight edge across it and I'm glad I did because the inner rotor was sitting proud of the case.

The outer slid out easily, and I tried to slide the inner off--no luck. I looped a couple of insulated wires behind it and pulled--nothing. Warmed it with a heat gun--nope. Blocked the front of the cam and tapped it with a pine "punch" and it moved forward, but still wouldn't slide back, so it was time to get serious and fashion a puller, since there was no room for anything conventional.

I used bicycle cable clamped to a puller with bolts and washers, looped around the backside of the rotor, and padded the rotor with some copper scrap so the cable wouldn't scar it. I still had to use the heat gun, and it took a fair amount of tension to get it off. No action pics, but here's the tool:

So, here's the issue, as I see it. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG. The inner rotor should slide freely on the shaft (cam), but it doesn't. The repair manual says it should slide right off, and other Eaton pumps I've worked with always float.

I took a fine stone to the leading edge of the shaft and the inner edge of the rotor, removed the key, etc. and the rotor will not slide onto the shaft--it almost will, but won't. Feels like a thou or so.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the cam, mike the shaft and look for a high spot. It may just be a matter of cleaning it up, but I'm a little concerned about obtaining the proper clearance if so.

Makes me wonder how this worked okay prior to teardown, and why there wasn't scoring from it rubbing hard against the outer cover, etc. Funny how things can "work" when they aren't right, but when you have them apart it's a big deal.

Maybe I should pretend I'm working on my hay baler . . .

PO be damned!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #82
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

It's Alive It's Alive It's Alive!

Finally!

So, I haven't updated in quite a while. The bike was buttoned up and about five hours of work away from being finished near the end of the March. I was a little behind schedule, but no big deal . . .

Then my wife goes and breaks her leg.

Turmoil ensues.

She can't work, she can't do jack shit. Everything outside of taking care of business is on hold.

Yada. Yada. Yada.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and things are settling down a bit. I can get into the shop for 30 minutes here and there. A couple of minor issues and I get to today, when I roll it out of the shop door, and ride it down the driveway, down the dirt road to the paved road and GO!

It wasn't much, just a short ride, but was it ever nice!

And best of all?

This thing is an ANIMAL compared to what it was previously. Didn't realize how tired it was before and it isn't even broken in yet. All I know is while I was riding I was thinking someone had swapped the final drive for a lower one.

I've never looked forward to riding to work more than I am tomorrow morning.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #83
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Wow!!! That's great news.....the bike I mean. So sorry to hear about your wifes break....was she kicking someones ass??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #84
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
Great to hear Chollo!
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:06 AM   #85
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Wow!!! That's great news.....the bike I mean. So sorry to hear about your wifes break....was she kicking someones ass??
Naw, there's not even a good story to go with it. She got kicked by a horse and knocked on her ass. She's fine though, and getting around pretty well now.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #86
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Uhmmm......WTF?!

Old 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #87
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,203
so, being kicked by a horse is "not even a good story"?
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #88
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Uhmmm......WTF?!
Perchance you request an update, if I gets yer drift?

Been meaning to, I'll get on it. Busy trying to get a machine shop up and running.

chollo9 screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 12:05 AM
chollo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #89
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
so, being kicked by a horse is "not even a good story"?
Well, it kind of comes with the territory, so to speak, that's why I prefer bikes--they go when you want and stop when you want!

Anyhoo, she was trying to get a tick off the beast, which was between his legs, and he didn't approve. Next thing she new she was flying through the air. When she tried to get up, no dice. Tibial Plateau Fracture.

And yes, she got the tick.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #90
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Well, it kind of comes with the territory, so to speak, that's why I prefer bikes--they go when you want and stop when you want!

Anyhoo, she was trying to get a tick off the beast, which was between his legs, and he didn't approve. Next thing she new she was flying through the air. When she tried to get up, no dice. Tibial Plateau Fracture.

And yes, she got the tick.
Just like a man!!!! Ungrateful bastard.........