User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Kul Mom OP
aka sKul Marm

Oddometer: 334
Girls of the North, Part 2

With deference to MotoMamma -- MM, I liked your idea about having a thread for girls. I read through the Girls of the North thread you started but was hesitant to post on it. It seems like such a nice memorial to Claire Berry. I think we should start a new one, if that’s OK with you. I know that I’m the new girl on the block but I am willing to give it a go.
I started riding about 15 years ago. I had just accompanied some friends on a trip to Dawson – I was the support vehicle/cook. At the end of the ride the guys looked at me and said, “Well, that was OK, but YOU need a motorcycle.” (I’d always wanted one so it didn’t take too much convincing.) So I found a bike (’76 BMW R75/6), bought it, and proceeded to learn to ride. The first two parts were easy – the finding and buying parts -- the learning to ride part was a little more challenging. You see, I’m really, REALLY clumsy. But after awhile and some pretty spectacular acrobatics I pretty much got the hang of it – at least I passed the DMV test. (I also had/have a really, REALLY patient teacher.) Well, that’s chapter one. See photo of first bike below.
Name:  MomR75-6.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  109.5 KB

Kul Mom screwed with this post 06-26-2006 at 06:23 PM
Kul Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
MotoMamma
Living Life

Oddometer: 1,089
Cool2 Girls of the North, Part 2...lets give it a go Kul Mom

I was checking out part one the other day and thought the same thing.
Just couldn't bring myself to let it go...........needed that gentle push.
Thank you.

Started out on go-carts when I was 6 or 7. 35+ years ago.
Then I moved up to a Honda 90 step through..then on to a ATC 90 3 wheeler.
My brother talked me into motocross, so I raced several Yamaha's and Honda's of various cc's on the dirt.
My brother shared his street bikes.

Then on to a wonderful family......so no riding for a while.

I purchased my own street bike in 1989 it was a HD 883 Hugger named piglet.
I just recently sold piglet and got a new 2006 883R HD.

We have 2 BMW's a Transalp and the 2 HD's. Soon I will try riding the GS 1150
I am short...so pretty sure I will have to do some acrobatic's as well.

As a refresher I recently took the advanced rider course.

I enjoy riding passenger with Hacky...Nice to relax and watch the scenery.

All of us have a thousand wishes. A cancer patient only has one wish, to kick cancer's ass.

MotoMamma screwed with this post 06-25-2006 at 02:09 PM
MotoMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #3
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,339
Say some more stuff, mom. That's a sharp /6 but that's not the steed you were riding in Dawson, eh?
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Kul Mom OP
aka sKul Marm

MotoMamma, I'm envious

MM, I'm so envious of those who started on dirt bikes. It seems to make such a difference in the quality of the rider. My nephew rides dirt bikes and I'm thinking on asking him for lessons!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
MotoMamma
Living Life

Talking Motocross

Yes, it definitely makes a difference.

Jake started out on a borrowed mini bike...thanks to Tom S.
When he turned 12 we got him his own race bike.
He raced at Kincaid and in Soldotna.

I am glad we started him on the dirt...it really taught him respect for riding on the street.

All of us have a thousand wishes. A cancer patient only has one wish, to kick cancer's ass.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
OK,,I'm not a girl (either is legion) yet I remember you on a much larger/newer motorbike. Was that not you?
You riding partner was on a R1150GS. We met the last time in Carmacks, for fuel. Heading south.

If it wasn't you,,,you might have a twin sister captured by a neighboring tribe and raised as their own, OK,,,, I know,,,, you will wait for the movie.....
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Kul Mom OP
aka sKul Marm

More Stuff

legion, GusGus-
The bike at D2d was my latest acquisition – bike number 3. It WAS me (not my evil twin) at the gas station. And me at breakfast where Friar Mike expounded on just how much of a mistake it was to acquire (I guess he’s not a morning person or maybe I was sitting in his seat.)

Anyway, before I leave First Bike I would like to tell another story. I learned to ride in the UAA parking lot. My first trip out of the lot was to the Eagle River Visitor’s Center. The only incident there was when Mike dropped his bike on me while I was sitting on mine thereby applying its only dent. This is amazing considering I have driven over car-sized rocks, hit trees, been completely upside down (wheels up, paint down) in the McCarthy parking lot, and been over the handlebars on the way to Skagway. (Did I mention that I am REALLY clumsy?) But I digress. I really wanted to tell about the second trip out of the parking lot.

Trip number two was a trip to Hope in the rain. My first trip in the rain and I was scared to death. When we got to Girdwood Mike asked if I wanted to take a break. We stopped at the café/bakery on the corner. There were two other beamers in the parking lot and we pulled in beside them. They were obviously traveling bikes. A check of the plates – Oklahoma. The guys from the bikes were sitting at the table by the window and motioning for us to join them. Very interesting guys, very interesting stories about their adventure, and one had a very interesting name – Cash Register. (Everybody sing – It’s a small world after all!) By the time Cash and Jim finished telling about their trip over the Campbell and the Dempster a little ride over paved roads to Hope in the rain seemed like stroll in the park! I think that was 1991. You can imagine my surprise about the story of the history at the D2D banquet.

Kul Mom screwed with this post 06-26-2006 at 06:24 PM
Old 06-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
Gusgus
Banned

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul Mom
legion, GusGus-
The bike at D2d was my latest acquisition – bike number 3. It WAS me (not my evil twin) at the gas station. And me at breakfast where Friar Mike expounded on just how much of a mistake it was to acquire (I guess he’s not a morning person or maybe I was sitting in his seat.)

Anyway, before I leave First Bike I would like to tell another story. I learned to ride in the UAA parking lot. My first trip out of the lot was to the Eagle River Visitor’s Center. The only incident there was when Mike dropped his bike on me while I was sitting on mine thereby applying its only dent. This is amazing considering I have driven over car-sized rocks, hit trees, been completely upside down (wheels up, paint down) in the McCarthy parking lot, and been over the handlebars on the way to Skagway. (Did I mention that I am REALLY clumsy?) But I digress. I really wanted to tell about the second trip out of the parking lot.

Trip number two was a trip to Hope in the rain. My first trip in the rain and I was scared to death. When we got to Girdwood Mike asked if I wanted to take a break. We stopped at the café/bakery on the corner. There were two other beamers in the parking lot and we pulled in beside them. They were obviously traveling bikes. A check of the plates – Oklahoma. The guys from the bikes were sitting at the table by the window and motioning for us to join them. Very interesting guys, very interesting stories about their adventure, and one had a very interesting name – Cash Register. (Everybody sing – It’s a small world after all!) By the time Cash and Jim finished telling about their trip over the Campbell and the Dempster a little ride over paved roads to Hope in the rain seemed like stroll in the park! I think that was 1991. You can imagine my surprise about the story of the history at the D2D banquet.
very cool, very, very cool, or should I say kul?

a nice upgrade although the /6 is a special bike.

It's also nice to know the neighboring tribesman are friendly.

This must mean "no movie!" DANG!
Gusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
It must have been the scotch talking. I didn't say it was a mistake in buying one just the problem's that thay have been having. most new model's of bike's have problem's some more then other's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kul Mom
legion, GusGus-
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog

friar mike screwed with this post 06-26-2006 at 03:25 PM
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,056
I too am interested in riding dirt bikes......missed a few steps prior to getting on a Beamer.......in hopes of developing more skills. Any suggestions?

Pancreatic cancer stinks
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:13 PM   #11
TRACTOR RIDER
No Rules Gruver

Oddometer: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin
I too am interested in riding dirt bikes......missed a few steps prior to getting on a Beamer.......in hopes of developing more skills. Any suggestions?
Just Ride my friend and have fun ! Ride and Ride and Ride and you know. RIDE

TR

TRACTOR RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #12
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACTOR RIDER
Just Ride my friend and have fun ! Ride and Ride and Ride and you know. RIDE

TR

I agree. I'd also watch how much I read about what you need and how to do it. The bike mags will tell you that you've gotta have a hi zoot dirt setup to get around on the dirt. Not the case. Best bet is to just get out on it and see what you can do. If you have access to a cheap lightweight trashed dirtbike that might be better for learning on than a GS though.

After I sell the 950 next spring I'm going to put a set of D616's like the Uly's wear and stuff 'em on my FZ1. That'll be my '07 dirt sport. I found a set of engine bars and I think that bike would look better if I'd bought them a long time ago.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #13
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion
\

After I sell the 950 next spring I'm going to put a set of D616's like the Uly's wear and stuff 'em on my FZ1. That'll be my '07 dirt sport. I found a set of engine bars and I think that bike would look better if I'd bought them a long time ago.
Don't forget the camo duct tape!
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:19 PM   #14
MotoMamma
Living Life

Laugh Pick up a cheap motocross bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin
Go camping and take the bike, ride on all the trails you can find!
Knik is a good place!
Great skills will be learned.....everytime you hit the trails!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 AM   #15
GlacierCraft
Gruven Again

Oddometer: 439
Take to the dirt.

I ride my KTM 450 EXC every weekend, keeps me limber.
Attached Images