User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Newfoundland / Labrador Trip

So I was supposed to leave tomorrow (oct. 1st) for a 3 week side trip up north into Canada. It turns out I have to fly back to San Francisco to take care of some things, to return around the 14th of October
I am currently in western Massachusetts, and that's where I will be starting from later in the month...
I will head over to ride some of the coast of Maine and visit Arcadia Nat park, but then it NORTH, NORTH, NORTH

I wanted to throw this out there hoping I might bump into some fellow adventurers, either on the road or in their home territories... I will be traveling alone so it would be cool to share an occasional road, trail, or drink around with fire with some other folks....

Looking forward to the adventure!
John
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Welcome to Canada and how far east are you headed. Days are getting shorter and cooler. Travelling after dusk in NL is to be avoided as we do have a moose issue. Campgrounds are closed but it is not a problem to throw your tent down on public land here. You might want to check on average temps in Labrador for that late in the year and there will be even less daylight.
I don't mean to be a naysayer just trying to give the information for a safe trip.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 AM   #3
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

"I don't mean to be a naysayer just trying to give the information for a safe trip."

Damurph, no worries...any advice/info/warnings are appreciated, you aren't telling me "...don't go it!.":

I'm aware and prepared for temperature and weather matters...
The moose warning is a good reminder for me...

I realize its past the ideal weather time for a moto trip up there, and sept/oct is more my ideal time ( I like the cooler temps),
But I am prepared (proper camping and riding gear) and have experience in riding/ camping in the cold weather and am NOT taking safety lightly

I'd actually welcome a LITTLE snow
... Careful what you wish for, hey

Fortunately riding at night is not in my plans....

it was good to hear about the moose and whatever other animal warnings/advice would be welcomed...
I've had run ins with bears ( one black bear and one brown), and hope to not have any more but I know I may face animal challenges and understand i need to be mindful...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
firefighter651
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Well when you hit North Sydney the coffee is my treat,shoot me a pm if you need anything.
firefighter651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter651 View Post
Well when you hit North Sydney the coffee is my treat,shoot me a pm if you need anything.
Thanks! Unfortunately, initially, I am not intending to get out your way (heading up hru quebec to Newfoundland/Labrador) BUT ifi end up in your neghborhood you bet I will say hello
Old 10-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Just to reinforce the moose issue....630 moose/vehicle collisions in the province last year and countless close calls.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
Thanks! Unfortunately, initially, I am not intending to get out your way (heading up hru quebec to Newfoundland/Labrador) BUT ifi end up in your neghborhood you bet I will say hello
Hello jonyfi,
What is your planned route? Are you planning on doing the Trans Lab? Most people make a loop and come back through NL and Nova Scotia.
Take care,
Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
Hello jonyfi,
What is your planned route? Are you planning on doing the Trans Lab? Most people make a loop and come back through NL and Nova Scotia.
Take care,
Peter
Peter, that sounds like a good plan...I have yet to view a good map of the regions involved. I started with the AAA, then the local book store, and have to admit I didn't hit the library yet. I've had limited computer access too...
I was thinking of going up Maine coast first, but based on your suggestion and the time of the year maybe I should go direct north first android the loop you mentioned.
While I am in San Francisco I will try to find some decent maps and search /view the territories on a full size computer...

My priority is to go north, north, north ( or in the general direction) as far as I can go and then some more

But I am open... I have three or four weeks....
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Peter, that sounds like a good plan...I have yet to view a good map of the regions involved. I started with the AAA, then the local book store, and have to admit I didn't hit the library yet. I've had limited computer access too...
I was thinking of going up Maine coast first, but based on your suggestion and the time of the year maybe I should go direct north first android the loop you mentioned.
While I am in San Francisco I will try to find some decent maps and search /view the territories on a full size computer...

My priority is to go north, north, north ( or in the general direction) as far as I can go and then some more

There are lots of ride reports on here. The "loop" is about 3500 km and most take about 9 days to do it. The TLH is a great trip and will get you just north of Churchill Falls, which is probably far enough north for this time of year! Have a great trip.
Peter
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Labrador forecast

Quote:

Current forecasts for the next week have Labrador City / Churchill Falls temperatures gradually dropping to a high of a couple of degrees above to few degrees below freezing with wet snow and rain. Good luck with the trip. Make sure your gear is up to it. You're not very likely to be bothered by wildlife or flies, but it will be wet, cold and sloppy.

Nick

added Oct4th: I checked out your web site and obviously, you have a good handle on what to expect. You won't be bothered by too many other bikes on the road - that's for sure. Stay safe and have a great trip.

nick949eldo screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:22 AM
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Current forecasts for the next week have Labrador City / Churchill Falls temperatures gradually dropping to a high of a couple of degrees above to few degrees below freezing with wet snow and rain. Good luck with the trip. Make sure your gear is up to it. You're not very likely to be bothered by wildlife or flies, but it will be wet, cold and sloppy.

Nick

added Oct4th: I checked out your web site and obviously, you have a good handle on what to expect. You won't be bothered by too many other bikes on the road - that's for sure. Stay safe and have a great trip.
Thanks Nick, yes the temps are dropping
If it wasn't for the unexpected delay I'd be up there already...I was really looking forward to that part of my trip...
I'm not giving up yet I will take it day by day once I get back and start heading north...
Ya, traffic should be at a minimum
Thanks again for the info...

I've also hit some ride reports and viewed a few maps online so I getting better perspective on things....
Old 10-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
BittyBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Check the forum on a web site her called Ride the Rock. Search there and you will find everything you need to know about riding here, Trans Lab loop etc.
BittyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter651 View Post
Hey firefighter, looks like I will be taking you up on that coffee offer
I will be leaving mon. 15th or tues. 16th....

Also looks like I will use the trans lab. loop as my main route and explore beyond that when possible...

I am going to post a link on my website (twaroundtheworld.com) to my SPOT Tracking device page so family, friends, and folks can follow along...
Hopefully we can me up for a warm meal and a coffee!
Old 10-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

jonyfi,
I did the Trans Lab this summer, so if you need any info feel free to send me a PM.
Take care,
Peter
Old 10-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #15
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Have a great trip!
Though, if you have the opportunity, try rescheduling.

Damurph
is right, the days are getting short and you will be well advised to be off the road by 5-6pm.
Maritimes and Quebec are my favorite destination; I go that way quite often, several times a year, and if I were you, I'd be thinking hard about the season.

Last weekend I did a 2.5k-mile loop to Gaspe, via Maine and New Brunswick, returning along southern shore of St. Lawrence River via Quebec City. Because of bad weather, it was getting dark by 3-4pm last Sunday in the Gaspesie. That's a problem, especially since I travel without reservations and still had to find a place to stay for the night.
Even with clear skies, expect sundown by about 6pm - even earlier in NL.

Weather can throw another roadblock: couple of years ago, I rode to Natashquan (that is as far as you can get along north shore of St. Lawrence) in late October and wound up going through - fortunately minor - snowfall, about an hour east of Quebec City.

As much as it pains me (I really do prefer riding north, rather than south of where I live), I'd suggest looking into running elsewhere (West Virginia and areas nearby are quite nice at this time) or trying to push your ride into late spring next year.

But if you still continue, make sure to have good wet-weather and cold-weather gear, including an electric vest.

Good luck! Robert.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote