Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,614
If your route takes you up I-91 towards Canada, I'm about 30 miles from the border and about eight from the slab. If you need a spot to warm up, dry out, or regroup, pm me.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #17
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
If your route takes you up I-91 towards Canada, I'm about 30 miles from the border and about eight from the slab. If you need a spot to warm up, dry out, or regroup, pm me.
Hey Canuman, sounds good...orginally I was going to spend time in Maine first along the way north but given that I am leaving further along in the season I think I will just ride north from where I am will be starting (hinsdale mass.) and I-91 does the job

I have a few more things to wrap up here in san francisco and then I can fly back to the bike and get back up and goinglooking forard to it....

Although its been nice to spend a little time back "home" here in san fran it has put a severe damper on my plans to ride up north to Newfoundland/Labrador etc.....

I will certainly get in touch....

Too bad I won't be around next season to take part in your "ride the rock" ride...

I have work lined up for January thru March...then it is off to Europe for April and May, I sent a kawasaki concours out there a few months back it arrived last month so it is ready and waiting...
...and then after a few months work it is off to Alaska for August and September...
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 801
stay a Canuman place is one the way of the best route to Translab
The stuff in Quebec on the way to Quebec City is nice. cross St Lawrance River at Quebec City bridges, Ferries are no Fun this time of year, not sea condishions, the shedules are really unreliable this time of year

let me know if you want a list of Hotels for

Baie Comeau
Lab City
Happy Goose
you will want res for Lab city and HG, The hotel in Back country fill up with workers, now is a very busy time up there for work projects, every one trying to finish up before winter and they bring on temp worker that fill up hotels

once on the Rock stay at the B&Bs best value for your money, stay at one at Deer Lake, was reallt nice
Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
stay a Canuman place is one the way of the best route to Translab
The stuff in Quebec on the way to Quebec City is nice. cross St Lawrance River at Quebec City bridges, Ferries are no Fun this time of year, not sea condishions, the shedules are really unreliable this time of year

let me know if you want a list of Hotels for

Baie Comeau
Lab City
Happy Goose
you will want res for Lab city and HG, The hotel in Back country fill up with workers, now is a very busy time up there for work projects, every one trying to finish up before winter and they bring on temp worker that fill up hotels

once on the Rock stay at the B&Bs best value for your money, stay at one at Deer Lake, was reallt nice
Hey sailer, thanks for the info...it is turning out to be more to be more of an adventure/challenge than I realized/imagined and to top it all off I generally do not pay to stay overnight anywhere, that is my "CODE"....free camping in the great outdoors, I have been known to stay in a hotel or pay for camping but I have to be in some extreme situations..and yes it is just neccessary to do so every so often anyway, but for the most part I just do or don't set up my tent dependant upon the weather conditions and enjoy sleeping in the great outdoors under the amazing sky....

This is certainly borderline for me, realizing how poor the weather and conditions are, but I am going to push through this...I am anticipating flying back to Massachusetts this saturday evening, preparing sunday, and leaving monday no matter what the temperature or weather conditions (given I can safely navigate the roads, ice is the only thing that could stop me )...

This could turn out to be one of the most memorable trips I have ever taken ...I have riden through the Sierra Mountains, the Shasta Trinity forest coastal range, and Utah through some crazy ass weather and road conditions but this trip could top them all

I would start a ride report as I start the trip, but with limited to no internet along the way and the possiblily (UNFORTUNATELY) of a time restraint I may just have to wait until I am done....and then the challenge of posting pictures to ADVrider has so far been challenge so far...

I can certainly get pics and details on my website but it would also be good to do an ADVrider specific report...

Oh what fun awaits ......
Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

well looks like you have good weather on Monday, once you get pass Quebec City finding Cowboy style camping should not be a problem.

keep in mind that it will be below freezing during the over night hour once you get up near Lab City.

almost all of Labodor and New Foundland is "Kings Land" which is Complete legal to camp on.

as soon as you head north from Baie Comeau on rt 389 it will be very easy to find places to camp

I have seen pics of a place that over looks Mechanic 5 Dam that looks like a great place to Camp, but not sure how to get to itm if you asked on this forum I am sure some one will give you the details of how to find

take Canuman up on his offer, it is a good ride, around 450 miles from his place to Baie Comeau which is all pavement so it is a very much long, but do-able, day, get early starts cause sun sets kinda early up there.

finding places to camp in New Foundland will be easy as well,(more Kingland land) once you get back down to Nova Scotia I have some spot you can try, but keep in mind no more kingsland (legal free camping), so you going to need to be a little co-vert, if you PM me I can give you some place you can try off sunrise trail, about a days ride from ferry and then a place in Maine about a nother days ride, I have never Cowboy Camp, but I have been driving to my Families sea side Cottage in NS every year for last 30 years
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
jonyfi OP
21st century adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
well looks like you have good weather on Monday, once you get pass Quebec City finding Cowboy style camping should not be a problem.

keep in mind that it will be below freezing during the over night hour once you get up near Lab City.

almost all of Labodor and New Foundland is "Kings Land" which is Complete legal to camp on.

as soon as you head north from Baie Comeau on rt 389 it will be very easy to find places to camp

I have seen pics of a place that over looks Mechanic 5 Dam that looks like a great place to Camp, but not sure how to get to itm if you asked on this forum I am sure some one will give you the details of how to find

take Canuman up on his offer, it is a good ride, around 450 miles from his place to Baie Comeau which is all pavement so it is a very much long, but do-able, day, get early starts cause sun sets kinda early up there.

finding places to camp in New Foundland will be easy as well,(more Kingland land) once you get back down to Nova Scotia I have some spot you can try, but keep in mind no more kingsland (legal free camping), so you going to need to be a little co-vert, if you PM me I can give you some place you can try off sunrise trail, about a days ride from ferry and then a place in Maine about a nother days ride, I have never Cowboy Camp, but I have been driving to my Families sea side Cottage in NS every year for last 30 years
Hey sailer, ya I am back on the east coast and will load the bike up and head out tomorrow around noon time.
Good to hear about the camping since that's what I will be doing most of the time...
I will certainly be in touch
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #22
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Have fun on your trip! I did Newfoundland earlier in the summer (see ride report in sig). What a trip! I'll definitely be going back... and hopefully will be able to do the trans-Lab as well.

Make sure to sign up at ridetherock.com and say hi there before leaving. Newfoundlanders are extremely friendly and more than willing to give a stranded motorcyclist a hand. If you end up broken down on the side of the road, that forum may be a real life saver. Speaking of, I have AT&T and signed up for an international data plan for about $30 or so. Most of Newfoundland that I traveled through had pretty good cell coverage, so I had access to forums and email and such (I'm sure the same can't be said for Labrador).

Oh, and the moose there are no joke... Especially in the Northern Peninsula (at least that was my experience). It can also get really cold really fast, even when I was there in June.

Good luck and have a fun trip!

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #23
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
PM when you are coming through St. Stephen New Brunswick. It is on the Calais Maine Border.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Jonyfi made it up to the POP at about 6:30 in the pouring rain. Cooking and bsing just now.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #25
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Snow In Lab City

Hey Jonfi,

I see you are moving north - good man. Unfortunately the weather looks to be against you. Not wishing to rain (snow actually) on your parade but winter has definitely arrived in Labrador. Make sure you check the weather - currently snow and steadily below freezing. Be careful out there.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Jonyfi got packed up and pointed towards the border this morning. The weather improved from last night. Instead of pouring, it's only drizzling off and on now, although it's markedly cooler. It's supposed to improve and warm up. Hopefully, he can get through Labrador without hitting too much ice/snow. No worries about bugs, I think.

Couple of pics:

Ton o' krap on a KLR!

Here's a dash mod I haven't seen before. You use a tree to do it.

Pre-flight chain lube:

Good meeting you, John. Ride safe.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
Yeah, bugs are definitely not going to be a problem, likely the paving and construction will be all wrapped up too.

some webcam images from the TLH I just pulled down:

This will be quite an adventure Jonyfi - I'll be following along!

Churchill Falls

Happy Valley Goose Bay

Cartwright Junction

Here's a link to the Lab webcams:
http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/#labmap
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #28
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

These don't look too auspicious, either.

Lab City from the Weather Network today:

Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #29
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
You have to experience winter in northern Canada before you understand it. I fear Jonyfi's education is about to begin.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

yup that is the great white north.

I saw (from Canuman pics) that he has knobbies on he be find.

he can't be much father then Baie-Comeau it is only 37F

I hope he found a dry spot

love the weather camera in Lab City, that faces some one house.