User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Clutch lever question

Searching for help with a tendonitus prone left hand I installed a Wunderlich adjustable clutch lever. It helped. I am using it with the setting that produces the 2nd to smallest reach; the length of the lever is set to maximum. My hands are not small but lessening the reach seems to put less stress on the middle finger tendon where the problem is. The reach is a lot less than the stock grip. I am concerned that I am effectively lessening the total clutch movement (effectively pulling the cable a shorter distance). The friction zone starts almost as soon as I release the lever at all. I tried setting the knob on the Wunderlich to the setting that provides maximum reach and of course the friction zone moved requiring more lever to be released to hit it. The bike does roll easily when the clutch is pulled in (with the motor off) so I appear to have decent disengagement. The 1st gear clunk on shifting when stopped seems a little louder. Am I risking my clutch or tranny? Would I effectively get mostly the same effect if I used the stock lever and increased the slack in the cable?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
I do think you would get roughly the same effect as you describe with the OEM lever and adding slack to the cable.

You are caught between two issues here:

1)being sure the clutch is FULLY engaged when your hand is off the lever
(otherwise there will be clutch slip, and the purchase of a new clutch pack is in your future)

2) while still being sure that #1 above is satisfied, making sure you have sufficient "throw" on the cable to fully (or nearly fully) disengage the clutch while shifting and that the clutch is not "mildly" engaged with the clutch all the way in while you are waiting at a light or some such event which would wear the clutch prematurely...

#2 is harder for me at least to determine conclusively... the twins have massive dogs on the transmission gears ...
so tend to be a bit clunky anyway ...
(I had a picture of this but can't find it just now)
Hopefully someone smarter than I can chime in!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote