User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
RaystheBMW OP
1986 R65

Oddometer: 165
Cracked headlamp ears

For months I have been trying to figure out the rattle coming from the headlight area at 2700-3000 rpm. Everything inside the bucket has foam tape on it, and all the cables are secure. I think I found the source though. Looking closely I found hairline cracks in the stamped steel on both ears. They start in the center of the bolt hole and go down to the outer edge. There is no rust or damage otherwise, and the headlamp feels like its solidly mounted. It's just during high vibration times that I get the rattle. But I think I may be looking at a bigger problem down the road if I don't do something about it now. What are my options?
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
scarygary
Drawing blanks

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaystheBMW View Post
For months I have been trying to figure out the rattle coming from the headlight area at 2700-3000 rpm. Everything inside the bucket has foam tape on it, and all the cables are secure. I think I found the source though. Looking closely I found hairline cracks in the stamped steel on both ears. They start in the center of the bolt hole and go down to the outer edge. There is no rust or damage otherwise, and the headlamp feels like its solidly mounted. It's just during high vibration times that I get the rattle. But I think I may be looking at a bigger problem down the road if I don't do something about it now. What are my options?

I had the same issue with my R65. I think it was caused from the bike wearing a big windscreen with brackets that bolt up to the headlight adjuster bolts. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new set. The metal is too thin to repair. I figured it was going to be a one time purchase. They are not cheap.

Old and cracked.

Freshies
scarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarygary View Post
I had the same issue with my R65. I think it was caused from the bike wearing a big windscreen with brackets that bolt up to the headlight adjuster bolts. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new set. The metal is too thin to repair. I figured it was going to be a one time purchase. They are not cheap.
I disagree, I just welded the one on my 87 R80 the other day. Same crack same place etc. Turned the mig welder down low and gave it a bead on the back side.
If it cracks again, I will weld in a large washer to beef it up. the price on new ones is just ridiculous. BMW price gouging at its worst

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I disagree, I just welded the one on my 87 R80 the other day. Same crack same place etc. Turned the mig welder down low and gave it a bead on the back side.
If it cracks again, I will weld in a large washer to beef it up. the price on new ones is just ridiculous. BMW price gouging at its worst
That's what I was thinking,with the washer.Hell used ones are pricey,I found a pair at mid-Ohio this past summer tho for $30
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
RaystheBMW OP
1986 R65

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I don't have a mig welder but was thinking of embedding a washer in epoxy on the back side. The price is over $200 for the new parts from BMW, and not sure about difficulty of R&R.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
RaystheBMW OP
1986 R65

Lacking other resources, I epoxied some large size washers to the outside of the flanges and gave them a quick shot of Rustoleum black rust reformer, which has a dried finish that's pretty close to the rest of the bike. I think it looks OK, and if it holds up, even better!