tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
What is your point?

copy/paste does not a valid post make
It's all about the post count!

Fake n00bs are more believable with a higher post count...

Have you noticed that it only seems to be n00bs (fake and genuine) that are obsessed with post counts?

When the only post count that matters is the number of posts you have in head explody, and that's why I keep replying to him.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #167
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
It's all about the post count!

Fake n00bs are more believable with a higher post count...

Have you noticed that it only seems to be n00bs (fake and genuine) that are obsessed with post counts?

When the only post count that matters is the number of posts you have in head explody, and that's why I keep replying to him.
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 172
User Name Oddometer
ADVNCW 54
acesandeights 8
CodyY 7
Pantah 6
perterra 6
tHEtREV 5
mamm 5
jon_l 4
Velociraptor 4

hmmmm.

ASDFJEWEWE just sent me a nice PM to tell me how much he appreciates my input and that he wants to come thru the computer to make me lunch.

What sauce do you use on a "Knuckle Sandwich"?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #168
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post

ASDFJEWEWE just sent me a nice PM to tell me how much he appreciates my input and that he wants to come thru the computer to make me lunch.

What sauce do you use on a "Knuckle Sandwich"?
threats against inmates is a banable offense I believe. see my sig line.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #169
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Well that is right neighborly of him.

First he starts of with racial taunts directed at a member that has not only built some fine bikes, but also holds atleast one record ( with two other inmates) for riding, and now he's offering to make lunch?

I'll have a the usual please...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #170
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,735
I read your profile and read some of your posts. You are not a noob, you know more about bikes than some of the people who have responded.
You really don't need imput from us to pick a replacement. I think you are capable of that yourself.

Are you lonely? You have what most of us think is a kids/beginner bike. From a technical sense there are many others that are better. You like it, good for you.

I have a 95 KLX 680. It is old, but low miles. It weighs 390lb with gas. It also has a big bore, big gas tank, low seat height, plenty of hp and is dependable. It would be my CDC ride and I would ride it to the departure point.

My interest is the old west. So its mission is to deliver me to old mining artifacts. It does it very well. I don't care if others are better at running single track, or have a lighter bike or theirs makes more HP.

It works for me.

I see your posts started with your purchase of the Honda. Obviously it has cast a spell on you. It is evil, get rid of it, or you won't be here to irritate those who are not under the spell.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 03:34 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #171
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Well that is right neighborly of him.

First he starts of with racial taunts directed at a member that has not only built some fine bikes, but also holds atleast one record ( with two other inmates) for riding, and now he's offering to make lunch?

I'll have a the usual please...
I referred him to JM where he could make a thread about what a rude and insensitive person I am.

Aw, shit... That's 205
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #172
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
[

I'm in Denver visiting friends. (Did not bring the bike, brought the wife instead). It was smokey all the way from Cle Elm to the Columbia at Umatilla. Not a good time to ride the mountains. Although I like my XT I would likd a bike with better, ie. adjustable, suspension. I think from the info I've been able to get from the web the KTM Freeride 350 would suit either of us. That is if KTM brings it to the US. Well, we have winter to decide what to do.

Phil

PS; I'm in Des Monies, just south of Sea Tac airport.
Phil I was looking at the KTM 350 Freeride, and also got some input quoted to follow. Perhaps not really for traveling, but it looks fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Check the Freeride thread on this forum. It doesn't weigh 228 lbs. wet without compromise. There is NO rear subframe; the steering head geometry is that of a TRIALS bike - steep compared to a DS or Enduro bike; the stator on the 350 EXC is 196 watts - IF the Freeride gets this stator, it will be marginal, but it may be smaller. There is not kick starter (to save weight).

The Freeride is a hybrid Trials / trail bike, designed for day use. It is not a DS bike, although I'm sure some will use it as such. Just be aware of the compromises.

The post above also quotes early release specs. After sales experience in the UK, the ECU was retuned to deliver 30 hp (24 hp received too many complaints wrt displacement and the 350 EXC). And KTM has clarified that if (when?) it is brought to the US it will be street legal.

I suggest taking this conversation to the Freeride thread, to avoid another 20 pages of duplication and possibly spreading old information. The Freeride is scheduled to be in the US next year, but KTM has changed their mind before. Lots of us are holding our breath. But with no rear subframe, it won't do what most of us are talking about on this thread.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #173
ADVNCW OP
Banned

2. Post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Each for

Did everyone understand this?

2. Post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented. Each forum has a sticky that explains the purpose and rules. Look at the top of each forum.

The thread is a discussion about motorcycles traveling on gravel roads, related concepts. Repeated personal attacks by some are apparently ok on this Forum? How about talk about motorcycles, at best redirect after some contentious discussions.

Now we will hear from the disruptive crew and observe what is tolerated on this Forum. Above are some malicious and intentionally false words posted, will that be ok here?

Thank you.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #174
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,438
It was all about the comfort

Years ago I watched LWA and was taken with the idea of a do everything machine, the SUV of motorbikes if you will, BMW's GSA. My turn came eventually and buying one was finally a real option so I did. It was and remains a great bike I rode it across Canada, loaded two up on the Trans Lab and have taken it pretty far off the beaten track. It was while hosing the big girl off after a muddy rip on the trails that I started to feel bad about taking such a nice machine on rough trails and trying to ride fast. I decided the that something more dirt oriented was in order and traded another bike for a KTM 690. I love this bike and would travel just about anywhere on it. The same still holds true for the big GSA but it is the comfort cruiser for two up travels and I still love saddle time on it just as much. What I found is that most any bike will goody any place if the nut between the handle bars is willing. Now how comfortable and how much effort it will take will come down to a measure of skill and the capability of the machine. Off road light and nibble is better for me. The 690 some would argue just barely fits this description but when the bike you were used to riding offload jumping ditches and all was 550 lbs a 310 lbs enduro feels pretty nimble.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #175
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Some folks have shared a lot of good information on this thread. Thanks! Yeah, I have thought about the 650s a lot, valid choice. Nice to hear what riders think and experience with their riding.

itsdam why the need for personal attack? Not ok on the Forum as far as I knew, but perhaps crap is tolerated on the Forum?
I read his post as a friendly suggestion, not a personal attack.

You are the main culprit for personal attacks.

But if you don't like the way this place is run, feel free to leave at anytime.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #176
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. If your bike is good on PNW single tracks it is not good on the highway. If it is good on the highway it is not good on PNW single track. I'm sure the OP will agree with this. BUT, we still keep trying to find one that is.

Phil

ps: I know a lot of KTM riders that agree with this.
pjturbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #177
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,303
I agree, Phil, and I ride some of the same areas you probably do and have in the past. At a certain point, when struggling with the inevitable failure of a swiss army knife motorcycle, most of us end up with more than one bike.

Also, at the point anyone is struggling with the last 5% of machine fitness, it's best [imo] to spend the time on skill improvement, and banish the hairsplitting. Kill the gap with rider skill. The hand-wringing can make you crazy.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #178
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. If your bike is good on PNW single tracks it is not good on the highway. If it is good on the highway it is not good on PNW single track. I'm sure the OP will agree with this. BUT, we still keep trying to find one that is.

Phil

ps: I know a lot of KTM riders that agree with this.
True, Phil.

For my conclusions, I think my little dog 230L and the WR250R are the two motorcycles that I would choose for mountain singletrack and to travel while hauling my camp.

The KTM350EXC is what I started looking at last spring and may work, but I have a couple of reservations, I have money to spend but hopefully not money to burn...Thus, for ME and no disrespect to anyone, for ME that expenditure does not in my estimation return with full value - for ME and no one else.

So far using the information on this Forum and online resources I decided, bought, and equipped my 230L for singletrack and for the WABDR, I believe it has been very successful and fun for less than $5k including the extra farkles and gear. I feel it is ready and able to do the CDR, but I have reservations...

From here it looks like I could get a new WRR and farkles to spend about $8k for a great CDR ride and other trips. That bike would be ok on mountain singletrack as well.

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #179
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
run what ya brung

super hunky did a mondo build up of a crf230, 12 part series, search this its in here,
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/projects.html
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #180
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,762
The OP must be a lite weight bloke to ride a fully laden CRF230 on single track? I've ridden one but found it just didn't have any grunt when I needed it, especially on anything steep! so handed it back to my nephew and climbed back on the 450 husky....no worries getting where yo want to go one of those At the end of the day, small bikes are fun but have their limitations for dual sporting/adventuring. For me my 690 is the best fit for the riding I love to do. I only wish it had a button I could push to change it into a 990 for some bits and a 450 exc for other bits