ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #196
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
This rider liked a big bike

"I had three choices of bike to ride on the CDR. I just bought a Yamaha WR250 and am really enjoying riding it on the K trail and local trails. I love it. I also had my trusty old 02 KLR, which was all ready to go with new tires and oil. Then there was the BMW F800gs
...I now believe that taking the WR would have been a serious mistake. 99% of this route is either pavement (not too much) or smooth dirt and gravel. I mean very smooth dirt and gravel. A lot of it will be ridden by a lot of you at 60 mph or more...I took the F8. I love its smooth power and comfort (now that I finally got a good seat on the thing). "

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=2

Interesting. Maybe I should take my Chevy Impala
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #197
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,246
"Interesting. Maybe I should take my Chevy Impala"


Take a Miata with qwad knobbies, make it sporting.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #198
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,922
Hello ADV, long time no ride!
I know where you are coming from with a small bike on technical trails (cliffs lol).
Your bike is good for our terrain (technical switchbacks). You are capable of a better bike.
No one bike is going to be right all the time. Get too big a bike and it becomes a struggle, and maybe not fun anymore. Too small a bike and a hundred miles of pavement becomes a nightmare.
You are almost asking to have TWO bikes. The tight quarters bike and a larger bike for larger country, bigger miles.
I won't go into brands - each person can do his own homework.
Oh and ADV, I have a WR you can take a look at and possibly own, with a new unmounted Safari tank. ...I rode Alder Ridge with it.

I think I know where ADV is coming from... which fricken bike to choose!
Cost, dependability, load carrying ability, fuel mileage, fuel type, etc...
The choices!

Funny, a couple of years ago I had a Honda 450X. Ya the supreme power monger I thought.
I could break that tire loose anywhere lol. I blew a lot of hills on that bike by going off course with wheelspin. It helped me understand that a lower power bike can sometimes help out in tough situations.
Just a thought.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #199
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Hey Maxacceleration! Nice to hear from you. Maybe we should ride the end of next week! Will be in touch after my current work rotation.

Right after we emailed last I was a smoke refugee for two weeks traveling mountains and coast with my camp gear on the 230L Adventure. Naches Pass Jeep Trail- the entire trail on the 230L Adventure loaded with my camp- 3 times. Then more beach riding.Was great camping at Govt Meadows and hanging out feeding the starving Crest Trail hikers eggs and bacon

Yea, I thought of your WR250R and wondered if you wanted to part with it. We will be in touch.

What a discussion! About the time I settle my mind on one motorcycle, more discussion and then other thoughts...I never laid down that wild dinosaur GT750 on the gravel AK Hwy, I could be just as happy on the CDR probably with a street bike...

You are right about the wheelspin, In the tight and gnarly when I sold the IT490 and started riding the TLR200 Reflex it was amazing to climb stuff on the 200 that I could not make on the nice monster 490! Sort of counterintuitive. I think my 230L with me climbs a little better esp with the D606s, and the rider position is about 4x more comfortable for me than the Reflex! Sold the Reflex to a buddy who is a very athletic 5'6" tall. He was amazed that I rode that little bike around the mountains!

Bottom line is win-win...I would have fun on the 230L Adventure on the CDR, or have a smoother time on the WR250R



Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Hello ADV, long time no ride!
I know where you are coming from with a small bike on technical trails (cliffs lol).
Your bike is good for our terrain (technical switchbacks). You are capable of a better bike.
No one bike is going to be right all the time. Get too big a bike and it becomes a struggle, and maybe not fun anymore. Too small a bike and a hundred miles of pavement becomes a nightmare.
You are almost asking to have TWO bikes. The tight quarters bike and a larger bike for larger country, bigger miles.
I won't go into brands - each person can do his own homework.
Oh and ADV, I have a WR you can take a look at and possibly own, with a new unmounted Safari tank. ...I rode Alder Ridge with it.

I think I know where ADV is coming from... which fricken bike to choose!
Cost, dependability, load carrying ability, fuel mileage, fuel type, etc...
The choices!

Funny, a couple of years ago I had a Honda 450X. Ya the supreme power monger I thought.
I could break that tire loose anywhere lol. I blew a lot of hills on that bike by going off course with wheelspin. It helped me understand that a lower power bike can sometimes help out in tough situations.
Just a thought.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #200
Murf2
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 802
Hey ADVNCW, I was looking at a picture of you and your a pretty big fella. If you don't mind me asking, could you give me your vital statistics. Reason I'm asking is, I'm a big fatty and I've been wondering if these small bikes could haul my lard ass around in the higher elevations. What is the combined weight of you and your gears in that pic of your loaded up 230? Thanks for an interesting thread!

Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #201
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Hey ADVNCW, I was looking at a picture of you and your a pretty big fella. If you don't mind me asking, could you give me your vital statistics. Reason I'm asking is, I'm a big fatty and I've been wondering if these small bikes could haul my lard ass around in the higher elevations. What is the combined weight of you and your gears in that pic of your loaded up 230? Thanks for an interesting thread!

Murf
Yeah, it will haul you Murf2. Read the owner's manual- the dual sport bike has an engineered design capacity for operator and passenger, me and my gear are far below that. As well, thus far the rear frame takes the load of about 40 lbs just fine. My rear shock is at the stiffest preload and 15W oil is in the front forks. While still not optimal, it works surprisingly well. Again, I think it is the design, even the little dog crude suspension has a good adjustment range due to allowing for a passenger plus a rider.

When I was deciding what to buy, I looked at a thread here by a guy who toured on weekends with his wife on the back of the 230L. They had fun. they both were smaller normal-sized folks, but that helped demonstrate the 230L could haul me and my gear in my mind.

A lot of motorcycles- dirt bikes- are engineered to be light but not to carry a passenger and a load.

For comfort I added a Seat Concepts seat and 1 7/8 inch handlebar risers. When I sat on and rode a WR250R at the dealer, I was surprised that whioe slightly larger, the WRR was really not much larger feeling to me.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 05:57 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #202
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,922
With some Wolfman racks added to this, or the lighter Giant Loop gear, the WR will tour or trail almost anywhere.
Heft on technical switchbacks is challenging, and whoop-de-dos over works the stock suspension. I learned there.
Adventure types don't always blitz the hoops (nor do I).
I'm always looking for that small giant (mountain) killer of a bike too...

__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #203
hubb255
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 69
LOL! I Cant believe this argument is still going!
hubb255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #204
Murf2
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Kansas
Oddometer: 802
ADVNCW, I didn't realize you were selfconscious about your weight! You didn't really give me much info, there. Are you close to the max load with your camping gear on the bike?

Murf
Murf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #205
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
ADVNCW, I didn't realize you were selfconscious about your weight! You didn't really give me much info, there. Are you close to the max load with your camping gear on the bike?

Murf
No but the load and strapping the load on the 230L is a real consideration. I cannot recall the max load but it is two normal sized people plus, as I recall "8 lbs" of luggage!! So I figure me and luggage is ok. Suspension wise the front is the weakest in my use, easy enough to stand and the back does fine when you stand up and ride it.

I thought the best way to pack extra gas, given the limited space on back, was on the front rack. So far that held up, I have had the tank on for a few hundred miles, rode singletrack with it- but I wonder if it will fail sometime.

Loaded or unloaded my little dog 230L with my 230lbs is limited suspension-wise. I prejump stuff so that I do not launch, because landing a huck on the 230L is a jarring experience even unloaded. Motor wise, I think the power characterstics are better than the WR250R that I test rode for traction and control on gravel and dirt. But little dog 230L is slow, fun when tight and gnarly or still easy when loaded, but you will not experience any thrilling performance. Just smooth steady performance in small quantities!.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #206
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Big bike awesomeness

Big bike awesomeness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JeXUEeu8jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDec...ture=endscreen

Riding my little dog 230L is just boring compared to some of the drops and struggles on the videos Did not realize that dropping a bike and struggling on such moderate terrain was so common
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #207
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,618
It's not, but getting video and posting it is.
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #208
hubb255
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Oddometer: 69
PHP Code:
I thought the best way to pack extra gasgiven the limited space on backwas on the front rackSo far that held upI have had the tank on for a few hundred milesrode singletrack with itbut I wonder if it will fail sometime
Can you respring your forks?
hubb255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #209
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb255 View Post
PHP Code:
I thought the best way to pack extra gasgiven the limited space on backwas on the front rackSo far that held upI have had the tank on for a few hundred milesrode singletrack with itbut I wonder if it will fail sometime
Can you respring your forks?
As far as I know, no suspension upgrades for a 230L- or I would have done so.

I have been thinking and looking, and I think I could remove the tool kit on the back opposite the muffler, and mount the 1.5 gal Kolpin there. I estimate that the Giant Loop would fit over the Kolpin ok. Coud be the final piece of the puzzle!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #210
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Big bike awesomeness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JeXUEeu8jI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfDec...ture=endscreen

Riding my little dog 230L is just boring compared to some of the drops and struggles on the videos Did not realize that dropping a bike and struggling on such moderate terrain was so common
The only problem I see with those vids is taking machines into situations their not designed for...every machine has its place. Take a bike like those BMW's that weigh more than my hayabusa stock, then load it down with an extra passengers worth of luggage and gas, and try and ride it through mudholes and rutted out nasty trails is asking for trouble imo. And trying to cross the continent in anything resembling comfort on my XR is also asking for trouble.

Each machine has its strengths and weaknesses, ones not better than another....as long as you use it for its intended purpose

I have to say I think some of those guys were enjoying the challenge of trying to take those behemoths places they were never designed to go...........not my idea of fun, but they seemed to be having their share
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014