Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #226
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post

Why ride a whale?
Because some people can, and make it look easy.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #227
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
big bikes are dumb. Look at this jackass on his 950. Seriously?

Dual Sport Loop - Talihina, OK to Mena, AR from Jason Penneman on Vimeo.

Thanks I just had a seizure watching that video.

Granted I don't do single track on my Multistrada but if I want to do a mountain pass in Colorado I don't have much choice other than doing it on the Multi since I live in SC. I can't ride my XR650 for more than an hour at a time and it's no fun on the highway. It's a blast on a fire or logging road though. I'm just now building the XR but I know whatever I do will never take out the vibration. Only way my XR is getting ridden cross country is if the guy I sell it too one day does it. However that's not to say the right body can't go distance on an XR. When I was 19 I rode an XRL650 from SC to RI to work on a sailboat and then spent a month riding her back to SC. First vehicle I ever bought brand new. If I recall she was less than $4k new.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #228
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
Thanks I just had a seizure watching that video.

Granted I don't do single track on my Multistrada but if I want to do a mountain pass in Colorado I don't have much choice other than doing it on the Multi since I live in SC. I can't ride my XR650 for more than an hour at a time and it's no fun on the highway. It's a blast on a fire or logging road though. I'm just now building the XR but I know whatever I do will never take out the vibration. Only way my XR is getting ridden cross country is if the guy I sell it too one day does it. However that's not to say the right body can't go distance on an XR. When I was 19 I rode an XRL650 from SC to RI to work on a sailboat and then spent a month riding her back to SC. First vehicle I ever bought brand new. If I recall she was less than $4k new.
Wow, after reading the above I watched that because it sounded funny....not. Glad when anyone has fun on their motorcycle, cool. But we take our car on roads that good to go camp around here and get out the Jeep or motorcycle for rough stuff. To find that much flat terrain around here...well you cannot, you would have to travel a ways away

Yep, understand, the vibration on my little red dog Honda 230L is annoying sometimes on the slab. And the little dog is just annoyingly gutless at highway speed as well. So, based on what so many post and on a little test riding I got the WRR for the smoothness and ability to actually break the speed limit on highway.

The thing about having a fast street bike in my youth was that I went 100MPH+ every day! Just too fun, too many speeding tickets...But yeah, I had a water filled foam seat pad on my 70s street bike and it was a smooth ride, all day. Will be interesting to see how the WRR is for long days about next April when the snow is gone- snow around my home now...

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 11:30 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #229
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
On fairly smooth dirt roads, a big dual sport works fine, but when you get into the rough stuff, it's not so fine anymore. If you have time, and don't need to go fast, a 250 sized bike makes a lot more sense. My dual sport is a Yamaha XT225 with a 4 gallon Clarke tank, BryanSwens rack, (Immix Racing rack is very similar), a centerstand, a kickstarter, a $500 rear shock, Progressive front springs, Stearns seat cover, carb mounted choke, gel grips, handlebar mount GPS, 4mm thick tubes, and a few other minor things. I built this bike from the frame up, and would not be afraid to ride it anywhere. It could be ridden around the world in long enough time. Only place it doesn't work well is on freeways, where it just doesn't have enough top speed. But those big 650s are no good for freeways either, mostly due to having bricks for seats.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #230
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
On fairly smooth dirt roads, a big dual sport works fine, but when you get into the rough stuff, it's not so fine anymore. If you have time, and don't need to go fast, a 250 sized bike makes a lot more sense. My dual sport is a Yamaha XT225 with a 4 gallon Clarke tank, BryanSwens rack, (Immix Racing rack is very similar), a centerstand, a kickstarter, a $500 rear shock, Progressive front springs, Stearns seat cover, carb mounted choke, gel grips, handlebar mount GPS, 4mm thick tubes, and a few other minor things. I built this bike from the frame up, and would not be afraid to ride it anywhere. It could be ridden around the world in long enough time. Only place it doesn't work well is on freeways, where it just doesn't have enough top speed. But those big 650s are no good for freeways either, mostly due to having bricks for seats.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #231
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Thumb Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Sounds nice JerryH! The XT225 riders that I met while on the WABDR liked their ride as well. Size and geometry of the small motos is a huge advantage, and really adds a safety margin. Just turning or putting a foot down is not just easier but safer on a moto small enough to fit the rider. Or in my case a large skilled rider can really make a small bike maneuver quickly with ease...surprisingly fast!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #232
numbat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ride whatever you feel comfortable on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXwwN...t64ndqt7tnBc3A
numbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #233
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
Pretty cool, yes. That big bike is fast on that road, faster than my Chevy Impala, which could also go over a lot of that...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #234
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,777
After following Little/Big Wan's adventures I'm sure a capable rider can ride anywhere most of the rest of us can on smaller bikes, but run what you brung and have fun.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #235
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Pretty cool, yes. That big bike is fast on that road, faster than my Chevy Impala, which could also go over a lot of that...

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #236
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbat View Post
That GS rider has some great skills. Nice wheelie too! The difference there might be that the GS rider is full on and the dual sport riders are goofing around. I can't speak for the GS rider but looks like he is working pretty hard.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #237
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
R80 G/S at 368lb dry is still a pig, but a ways from whale class bikes

_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #238
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Little bikes bore me. I want some throttle when I turn it. Is it really fun to ride if your not somewhat scared? Call that cruisin and thats a whole different style. A heavy 250 wr would just be boring as hell for me. To each their own. A 4-stroke 650 is no comparison to a 2 stroke 750. Much mellower and still all the balls you need to make yourself scared. Enjoy your little bikes. But dont question why some like bigger bikes. Hell I question why a normal size or bigger man would wanna ride something so weak? Of course my favorite bike I owned was a kx 500 with 65 hp stock. Damn that thing was fun and scary as hell. My lc4 640 is by far the funnest ride Ive owned. Not a ktm fanatic either. Just really impressed with my bike. Ride more, and dont ever become closed minded. You never know what you might learn if you just open up to new ideas sometimes? We can all learn more. These are my opinions not meant to offend anyone, so no need to rip me a new one. I love to hear good info tho.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #239
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
A 650 can work fine, on both singletrack and slab. It matters on the rider and the setup. My DR650SE is actually better at bombing slab for long distances than my ridiculously-smooth I-4 streetbike, and it's a HELL of a lot better in the sugarsand. I use a Seat Concepts kit on the stock seatpan and the DR's all-day comfortable. I have no problem with riding it 2hrs up slab to Ocala NF at 70MPH, riding sandy whooped trails there all day, riding state hwys down to have dinner with my sisters in Orlando, then riding back out to Spacecoast at 70MPH. I even ride to Orlando or Daytona 2up quite a bit. I rode it over 1100 miles home from Tyler TX one day last Christmas, after riding it around my mom's hilly wooded farm. I rode it 600 miles after work one night this fall, to attend Terra Firma 2012 in Clayton GA, rode the rocky clay jeeptrails there the next day, then rode 600 miles home through thunderstorms the next day. I would have swapped on the front knobby I had brought if I had known the clay was that slick, but otherwise I had a blast.

The WRR is a similarly-versatile bike, but it does things a bit differently. One rides it a bit differently to get to the same place. It uses it's revvy HP, instead of tractoring torque. It uses nimbleness and travel to get through rough terrain, instead of cushy bulldozing. The WRR's lighter weight is easy to hold up when dabbing, where the DR is easy to hold up because it's fairly low at the seat. Both bikes are pretty smooth on slab for thumpers. Both bikes can be set up for good range and luggage. Do you prefer riding torque or HP? Nimbleness or bulldozer? Precise EFI or simple and reliable carb? Different people have different preferences. I like fluffy chicks. You might prefer sticks. It's all good.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #240
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post

some electrons were mildly inconvenienced in the sending of this message
Good one.

I am pretty sure that my Chevy Impala is faster than my 230L, but I cannot find 606s for the Impala...